Did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Suits' started by DamianM, Aug 19, 2012.

1. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

So I was at the long beach Antique swap meet and I found two 30s db Jackets. Marked WBS ( Warner Brothers Studio)
    The man was asking 20 for each. One had no pockets whatsoever and the other had three patch pockets. The only problem was they where boring grey.
    they both fit but the color was a bust. Should I have picked them up?

2. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

I think that even when the prices are absurdly low, if you don't really love something it's not worth it to pop for it.

3. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

It was the lack of Color. They were Grey Wool Flannel. Had two tiny moth holes but i could have lived with it. Just the color. I stood there for a half hour at my girlfriends temper expense thinking it over, and thinking it over......now I regret it.

4. GoldenEraFan

GoldenEraFan One Too Many

Me personally, any sport coat/suit jacket from the '30s, even if it's a boring color, if the price is right I'll buy it. '30s clothing in general is getting so scarce because so many collectors are buying them up at sky rocketed prices and then selling them back for even higher prices. Not to mention that they're double breasted '30s jackets for $20 bucks a piece. That's gold to me.

5. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

Don't forget that the more bland the base color, the more things can be amped up with colorful accessories.

6. GoldenEraFan

GoldenEraFan One Too Many

+1

7. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

Full of regret!!!!! Full of it!!!!!

8. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Personally I like grey flannel...

9. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

really ? no pockets at all ?

were they both completely flat grey or did they have any sort of chalkstripe or pattern ?

if something doesn't interest me personally i would only buy it if i thought i could sell it on for a profit.

don't feel too bad though; nearly everyone on here will have at least one story of an item they regret not buying. ;)

10. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

Yes one had no pockets whatsoever it was just a flat DB.
    And no pattern whatsoever. Just grey as grey can get.

I do sell if it doesn't fit or I don't like it, but I liked it and it fit but it was hot and I had walked for a while......just my head wasn't right.

11. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

my head wasn't right the day i passed up on Farid Chenoune's book 'A History of Men's Fashion' for £12 in a bookshop. i went back a week later and it had gone. now it's £250 on amazon.
    i'm still not over it. ;) :eusa_doh:

12. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

So this is the never ending story.

13. redheads'n'truckbeds

redheads'n'truckbeds New in Town

One of those coats was a Macintosh....

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Me too! I have three suits in solid grey flannel (light grey, medium grey and charcoal grey) which I often mix and match as separates. Suede shoes in black or brown......royal oxford shirts with silk knit or cashmere/wool ties.....or cashmere turtlenecks in a myriad of colors.......Whoops, I'm rambling.........

15. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

that's not rambling .... that's celebrating!

16. reetpleat

reetpleat Call Me a Cab

Well, I only buy db suit jackets if they are cheap and interesting. Gray flannel might be popular to pair up with slacks of a different color. I wouldn't but someone might. SO could resell. Not sure if the WB stamp adds much value, but if they were very well cut, in a simple fabric, that can be sartorial gold. Was the cut good? Was the size good? OR were they just bland all around. All academic now.

I resell, so if I didn't want it for myself, I might buy to resell. But if I don't think it will bring $40 or more, hopefully much more, I would not pay $20 for anything.

17. Seems like an opportunity for some and not so much for others.

18. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

What’s for you won’t go by you. Never live for regret, learn from it and move past it.
    Johnny