Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I make a boo-boo by not buying this dress?

JoesSweetheart

New in Town
So, I saw this at our local Value Village...

IMG_20120613_120746.jpg

IMG_20120613_120805.jpg

Do you think it's vintage? Maybe 50's?

There was no tag, the side-zipper was metal, and it had metal sew-on snaps in the shoulders, as if shoulder pads went there. The buttons where plastic, and the material was soft and thin.

The waist style wasn't quite working for me... but I may still kick myself if it turns out to be vintage... :p

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
Regardless if it was vintage or not, unless you are comfortable wearing it, then its best to pass. Ive bought a lot of "great buys" just because they were vintage but ill fitting and then either gave them away or sent them back to the thrift store. Wasted time and money IMHO.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Could that possibly be a home-made dress? (you said there was no tags). If so, it could be from any era. And like Miss Stella said -- regardless if it is vintage or not, if it doesn't fit or "feel right" on you than it's best to pass. I never buy anything that does not fit me or isn't my style because it will just sit in the closet for years until I return it where I bought it lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Regardless if it was vintage or not, unless you are comfortable wearing it, then its best to pass. Ive bought a lot of "great buys" just because they were vintage but ill fitting and then either gave them away or sent them back to the thrift store. Wasted time and money IMHO.

Same here. I only buy vintage dresses if they are in great condition and I am completely in love with them (the latter goes for all garments, actually). As a result, I'll buy repro if it looks great and I like the dress. Doesn't matter if its vintage if I'm not head over heels!

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
I agree with C-dot, if I like the 'vintage' look of it, I'll buy it. I've bought a few things lately that I will try to post soon...I've no camera except older iPhone so I will see what I can do soon ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The question to ask with any purchase like this is "do I have the time, the energy, and the skill to make this fit?" And be honest with yourself about the answer -- if you aren't it's easy to end up with a basket full of "someday projects" for which someday never seems to arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran