Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did Mallory make "private label" hats for other retailers/companies?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I know that Champ and Lee made hats for several big department store lines of hats, and also sold hats under "sub-brands" for themselves. Did Mallory make "private label" hats also? I ask, because I just purchased a 1950s Burton-Taylor Brown Fedora from ebay about a week ago, and there are a couple of signs that lead me to believe that it was actually made by Mallory. The hat says that it is "Cravenette." I know that the word Cravenette is usually associated with Mallory and I was able to find some pictures of a hat being sold on ebay right now which says that it is a "Commander BY Mallory." The two hats have very similar stitching on the sweatbands and even have very similar sweatbands with the exception of the fancier one on the Commander. The dimensions of my hat and the hat posted are pretty much exact and they even look similar. Well, the shade of brown is a bit darker on the ebay hat, but its still pretty close.

Heres some shots of my hat:
DSC04409.jpg

DSC04411.jpg

DSC04406.jpg

DSC04405.jpg

DSC04402.jpg

DSC04401.jpg

DSC04399.jpg

And here's some pictures of the hat that's posted on ebay right now:
B-8LGKgBGkKGrHqIOKjYEzmRmHvuZBM-G7t1kuQ0_12.jpg

B--zqbwBGkKGrHqUOKjcEzbG0ZBwBM-R5Knwow0_12.jpg

B--zwPwBmkKGrHqFlUEyjC05mBM-R5V0Y0_12.jpg

Anyone heard of Burton-Taylor, or know if Mallory made private label hats for them?

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I don't know the answer as to Mallory doing Private label, but many products have Cravenette labels(fabric water-proofing) that have no relation ship with Mallory.
British Cravenette Co.
5239215467_f12032cf27_b.jpg

5239215597_0f52c18ef6.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I don't know the answer as to Mallory doing Private label, but many products have Cravenette labels(fabric water-proofing) that have no relation ship with Mallory.
British Cravenette Co.

Thanks for the info RLK! Did any other major golden era American hat brands/lines use the Cravenette process on their hats? I know that different companies had different names for their own water-proofing processes, but did any other make mention of "Cravenette" on their advertisements or sweatbands?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
So I have some pretty good new evidence that Mallory did make "private label" hats. It seems to be the best evidence yet.

Heres the label from Burton-Taylor Fedora:
DSC04396.jpg

And heres the label from a Mallory 15 on Ebay:
Mallory15Label.jpg

The two labels are identical. Even right down to the rectangular cutout on the top of the label.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Mallory also had a line marketed under the Wilson brand. Both Burton Taylor and Wilson continued until the Stetson buyout. The 1947 sales plan makes no mention of these brands which leads me to believe that Stetson dumped them after they bought Mallory.

B

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Mallory also had a line marketed under the Wilson brand. Both Burton Taylor and Wilson continued until the Stetson buyout. The 1947 sales plan makes no mention of these brands which leads me to believe that Stetson dumped them after they bought Mallory.

B

Thanks so much, Bill!! I had no idea that Mallory had a line called "Wilson." I've never seen a Wilson hat before. That's very interesting that the 1947 sales plan makes no mention of those two brands. I completely agree with you that Stetson most likely dumped the two brands after the buyout. Companies are always looking for ways to "trim the fat," and there most likely was little demand for either line. I'm unsure how popular the two brands were, but Ive only ever seen about 3 Burton-Taylors.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Burton Taylor Travel-Tex

Burton Taylor Travel-Tex, 1 1/2" bound edge brim; 4 3/4" crown (5 1/2" open crown); 1 3/8 grosgrain ribbon, unreeded sweatband with taped seam. There are three sizes on the hat, size tag is 7 1/8, tag glued to the crown behind the sweat is size 7 and back of sweatband is stamped size 7 1/4 (Fits like a 7 1/8). The Union label is 1 1/2" which is the largest size Union label I have seen on a vintage hat.

photo-1737_zps6d2727a0.jpg

photo-1751_zpsfc6a07ce.jpg

photo-1755_zps714a434f.jpg

photo-1754_zps8f3875ce.jpg

photo-1748_zps9c1c5f8e.jpg

photo-1763_zpsf36ff22d.jpg

photo-1772_zps8cb8e4f5.jpg

photo-1770_zpsd9fe20fe.jpg

photo-1776_zps988a8904.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Spectacular!! That's quite a bit of size differences in one hat. If the sweatband tag says 7 1/8 and it fits like a 7 1/8, I wonder why the reorder label says 7?? The fact that the sweatband says 7 1/4 is interesting. It could be a replacement sweatband. This hat looks to be an early 40's hat, but the rear sweatband seam is taped and not sewn. Also there's no markings for the Burton-Taylor name on the sweatband, just a store name, also another indication that it might possibly be a replacement. Maybe the hatter didn't have a 7 1/8 sweatband made up and instead took a 7 1/4 sweat, cut the ends, and made a taped seam. That's just a theory though.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Seems pretty solid. Cravenette trade mark on the front of the sweat??

Thanks, Tom. The Cravenette trade mark on the front of the sweat kind of threw me for a loop. I mean, I know Mallory used to advertise that their hats were Cravenette, but I think the general term refers to a type of waterproofing. Maybe the sweatband employed the same kind of waterproofing?? [huh]

Purplesage

One Too Many
The Duplicating Number Size 7 tag is glued over another similar tag but I couldn't see the size. You can kind of tell in the photo I posted. I pealed the edge back just far enough to see out of curiosity. I didn't want to destroy the Size 7 tag on top. I assume The tag underneath is a different size because it wouldn't make sense to put a size 7 tag on top of a size 7 tag. I might give it another look just to see what the tag underneath says. Also, have you seen this large of a Union Label on a vintage hat? I am going to post a reply to another thread about EBay gripes concerning how I actually won this same hat on auction twice from two different sellers.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Another Example of Burton-Taylor

Picked up this Burton-Taylor a while back for a very reasonable price. It wasn't in the best condition so I had to spruce it up a bit. It has a 2 3/8" brim with overwelt edge and a 4 3/4" crown as shown (5 1/2" open) which is wrapped in a 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon. It is unlined and has a unreeded sweatband. I'm guessing it's from the 30s or early 40s!. Sweatband says "Burton-Taylor Super Cravenette."

photo5-126_zps1bc8769a.jpg

photo4-145_zps614733bf.jpg

b2a9c1ec-5939-4459-8ecb-9d628c998dde_zps7a93395e.jpg

photo1-125_zpsf0a5e434.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh589/Moveoetproficio/Brown%20Burton%20Taylor/5c29e032-67e9-457f-b62d-602a9685f363_zpsaa6677a1.jpg[/IMG
IMG]http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh589/Moveoetproficio/Brown%20Burton%20Taylor/photo4-155_zpsd67e9c54.jpg
4067d10c-ea66-4510-994d-83a62a096c14_zpsc0cdf96e.jpg

photo3-131_zps8439c003.jpg

photo2-156_zps60d1a1ea.jpg

photo4-139_zps97f63026.jpg

So I just got a burton-Taylor hat and was wondering if anyone knows how much it's worth?

The standard answer is it's worth what you paid for it. Or it's worth what somebody will give for it. Having said that, nobody can venture an opinion without some photos. Including inner labeling, sweat marks, etc. We'd love to see it, Hotmamap.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I saw posts of the hat on the web. Nice looking hat. Brown isn't always the most popular color around here. I happen to like brown hats.... It looks to be in very good shape. Size 7 1/8 isn't the most desirable size. All that being said, I'd expect it to go for between $125-$185. But don't hold me to that. Sale results can be all over the map.

B

Hotmamap

New in Town
I'm so new at this and it's not letting me upload pictures :( I'm going to keep trying but I got it for free. A family member passed away and I found it in the house. Just trying to see if it's worth anything :) thanks for your help!

Hotmamap

New in Town
Thank you so much buler! I couldn't upload the pics to my hat but it's identical to the hat above! Same size and all :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo