Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you attend a college or university?

Did you attend a college or university?

• Yes

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

MikeKardec

One Too Many
a circle of events resulted in my enrolling in a junior college. I ended up with a masters from the number three ranked program in the field.

Sometimes a little life education goes a long way.

Many of the people I met living in Australia didn't go to college in a typical American fashion, studying for four intense years and then never returning. They tended to go to TAFE (someone correct me if I have that wrong), which is like our community colleges, on and off their whole lives. A lot of that was job training but often there were history, science, and literature classes added for fun or for context. One's education is never over ... though some of us pretend it is. No reason to think that school, of one sort or another, should end a a certain time.

The one junior college course I taught in was the best teaching experience I've ever had and with the most motivated students. There were a couple of 70 year olds in it and a few still in high school. Those two groups motivated the college age kids to sharpen up their act.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
There's something to be said for taking a break in between getting your degrees. I went straight to college after high school and got my BA, but then I took about five years off, got married, and started a family. Then I decided to go back and get my master's degree. It was an entirely different experience. I was much more focused on my studies and less so on the "college experience."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner