Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you ever regret selling a jacket?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I regularly sell jackets that don't get enough wear. Regardless of the reason for selling, I usually don't think about them any more once sold. There has been one exception. A few months ago a guy came over to try on a jacket I had listed on the local ebay. The jacket turned out to be a good fit so he bought it. Then he pointed at one of my other leather jackets and asked whether he could try it on. Although I wasn't planning on selling the jacket I said sure why not. Of course it was a great fit so he asked me whether I was interested in selling but I said no. Yet he made me a great offer, much more than I what I could get for it if I ever were to sell it online, so I sold it to him.

My gf never really cares about any of my jackets in particular but when I told her I sold this one she told me that of all the jackets I had this was the one she liked most.
In hindsight I really regret selling the jacket. Not because it was the most beautiful or best made jacket I had, but it was a great "all occasions" grab and go jacket. If I could I would buy it back in a heartbeat.

It was this reversible halfbelt :
2E4B3124-95FC-48D0-9C46-F68E9520C268.jpeg

I'm curious about your stories. Did you ever regret selling a jacket? Did you ever buy back a jacket after you sold it?

Edit: pictures of the actual jacket added.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yes - at least in a few instances.

Usually for reason of fit - I don't regret it.

But for the love of the specific hide a jacket is made of, or unique features, etc, then I have certainly regretted the sale! Even the smell, as crazy as that sounds.

Pull out the popcorn for this thread - it may well get interesting... :)

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Interesting topic, I am sure most of us have had a similar experience atleast once. I sold a Black FQHH Sheene on the bay this year, which I though fit too tight when zipped up. But the CXL on it was shiny, soft & perfect, and so were the other measurements. As soon as the jacket left my home, sellers remorse set in ;) I realized most of the time a jacket liked this is going to be worn unzipped, and the fit was great that way. Wouldn't sell it if given a choice now
1.jpeg

The lesson learnt in the above case helped avoid a potentially bigger regret recently. I have a Sheene in Natural CXL, which again I thought was too tight. I was able to get the same jacket in a size bigger, and put the smaller one for sale. Started getting responses almost immediately. I tried the jacket one more time, and decided the combination of fit, leather, weight(it is a bit lighter vs normal CXL FQHH) & lining was too good to be passed on to regret later. I am now a proud owner of 2 Natural CXL Sheenes in the exact same config, just different size ;) talk about leather jacket craziness

Last edited:
Fortunately...no, no regrets. The jackets I've sold are only because I found something that suited me better. By purchasing different brands in the past I learned about their fit, finishes, hides, construction and differing styles. I now have several that I actually prefer wearing instead of many that I possessed just to own them. Although I do enjoy seeing new styles and what others buy, I have no great urge to keep experimenting. Feels good to be leather jacket satisfied to the point of no regrets ( Should be a song, LOL ).

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Cool thread idea.

Fortunately for me, I have not regretted selling any of my leather jackets. I regretted selling a pair of boots once, but even those I think I am probably better off having sold. It was more of a case of me wishing that they fit.

Basically all of my leather jacket sales have come from me being fully unsatisfied with the quality of the jacket or because of fit, so none of them have been true regrets.

I do really wish that I never had to let go of my brown Freewheelers Mulholland, but I don't regret selling it either. It didn't fit me anymore and I wasn't comfortable wearing it so I absolutely do not regret selling it. That one is the closest one to me regretting, but it's more about wishing that it fit rather than me regretting the decision to sell.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I sold my Schott 689H black collared café racer
I sold my Schott 654 steerhide "Cordovan" café racer
I sold my Schott 671 "Easy Rider" café racer (the one with the Peter Fonda stripes)
I sold my Schott 141 black steerhide café racer.
All of these 4 sold to biker mates who asked me to sell to them , so no regrets.

I still have a fair number of jackets which helps with "regret" of course

AND I have sold a fair few other jackets for "fit" reasons on the open market , so no regrets there either.
Plus the "'cycle" of jackets now and then helps the "too many" feeling !

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I miss some of them from time to time. Mainly Goodwears (one which never arrived to its owner as it was lost in transit-that really was upsetting) and a Johnson cross-zip in overdye I owned years ago. But it's not this agonizing longing or anything. I'm very fortunate to have the jackets I currently have.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
LOL. Yes usually it takes someone posting one that I’d forgotten to feel regret....but I don’t know if I ever truly feel regret. Love ‘em and leave ‘em. It’s the life of a leather jacket gigol
LOL

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I've had this feeling twice: when I sold a Buco J-21 and an H-D Townsman. These were originals that are no longer produced today or the manufacturers are no longer in business. I never had this feeling with today's manufacturers, because I can order a jacket again at any time...

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
No. In fact, I am very happy that I unloaded some dogs I bought on impulse. Never to the TFL members though, always on the bay and fairly described (not as dogs, though, lol). Usually it was due to piss-poor leather which I did not know how to recognize early on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points