Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you ever regret selling a jacket?

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had regrets buying jackets but never selling them. I did miss a Original Buco oil gray colored sport jacket size 46 in steerhide I sold after purchasing the same model Buco size 44 in horsehide. But once I got use to the newer to me Buco, I stoped miss the one it replaced. My main request is I listed it on ebay for a low price and it sold before I was able to post it here. One hour later ton PMs me asking about the sold Buco. It would have been a good fit for him. Since this sale I post here and yet the listing run a few days before posting on ebay. I priced the steerhide Buco low because I bought the Horse hide Buco for a low price. This are the only two original examples I seen of his model on ebay.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I tend to put off selling things for too long and so by the time I bring myself to sell anything I know I'm not wearing it. I have an Aero I bought new and was going to sell on here/eBay last year, or maybe even the year before. I took photos, listed it then had second thoughts and took it down, love the style and the jacket but its one or two sizes too big. I haven't worn it since so I should've sold that one.

I had a Ralph Lauren cross zip d-pocket repro that I picked up pretty cheap and which was really nicely put together, it fitted me like it was made for me overall but it felt a little short at the waist as some of these jackets are. Kind of wish I'd kept that one as I've found myself looking for a similar jacket recently... but at the same time, its giving me something to look for now.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I regret both selling them and giving them away. Some, anyway. I don't really know what it is I want from a jacket, so I figure all this is part of the process.
LOL. Yes usually it takes someone posting one that I’d forgotten to feel regret....but I don’t know if I ever truly feel regret. Love ‘em and leave ‘em. It’s the life of a leather jacket gigolo!

B880EA65-EA2E-4C91-AF02-2BE6FD06D1F5.jpeg

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I regularly sell jackets that don't get enough wear. Regardless of the reason for selling, I usually don't think about them any more once sold. There has been one exception. A few months ago a guy came over to try on a jacket I had listed on the local ebay. The jacket turned out to be a good fit so he bought it. Then he pointed at one of my other leather jackets and asked whether he could try it on. Although I wasn't planning on selling the jacket I said sure why not. Of course it was a great fit so he asked me whether I was interested in selling but I said no. Yet he made me a great offer, much more than I what I could get for it if I ever were to sell it online, so I sold it to him.

My gf never really cares about any of my jackets in particular but when I told her I sold this one she told me that of all the jackets I had this was the one she liked most.
In hindsight I really regret selling the jacket. Not because it was the most beautiful or best made jacket I had, but it was a great "all occasions" grab and go jacket. If I could I would buy it back in a heartbeat.

It was this reversible halfbelt :
View attachment 268498

I'm curious about your stories. Did you ever regret selling a jacket? Did you ever buy back a jacket after you sold it?

Edit: pictures of the actual jacket added.
I bought a Schott 141 size 52 Long from someone in the Schott forum. Was too big so I got a 50 Long. About 2 years later the guy who sold the 52L to me emailed me said he wanted to buy to back. We agreed at the same price and he picked it up in person $250 as I recall. He said he gained back the weight he has lost after he sold it. So this is just the opposite . I didn’t regret it but he did!

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Fortunately not as I either didn't like the "look" of the jacket or it didn't fit me well. I sometimes regret that I sold my loden green Viberg Service Boots this year (half number too large but wearing thicker socks would have solved that "problem"). I more regret having sold really nice mechanical watches but that's a different story (and forum) ;)

Psant25

One Too Many
I have bought a new vanson model b i think 4 or 5 times. First one was a size big I will say that. I will want one for a while, buy one, break it in, sell it for a loss, repeat. I have been thinking about another custom order vanson model b. I will be good for a while and then someone will spark something in me on FDL. Like another thread right now talking about What first jacket to get or a cafe racer and lots a love for vanson and then it has me thinking maybe I need to try another model B but with trimmer sleeve at biceps/elbow, not delete the windflap and keep the brass vs getting nickel ...

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Yes, damn it! A LW heavy Downtown in black with killer leather. But....it didn’t really fit me. Was too big and too heavy really for SoCal. But.....I still loved the jacket. I even bought a replacement for it, the same jacket from Stuart in russet and lighter leather. Good jacket, actually more usable than the first one but doesn’t send me like that one did. Shoulda bought it in black..... I keep looking for a used one in 42, if anybody has one they’d like to move on.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@dudewuttheheck Have you already posted pictures of your new Mushmans/Electric Leather jacket here? Perhaps I've overlooked that. Well....I'm curious ;)
I posted some of the promo pictures in the "what jackets do you have coming" thread. The jacket wasn't supposed to be ready until November/December, but it shipped to me today so I will have it quite soon.

B-Man22

New in Town
343BDDD6-01C0-4688-B8AF-C529DFBCBB66.jpeg
1207B944-0C93-4C91-98FB-A0E0D1956C69.jpeg
I regret selling two jackets years ago. The first was a new ELC Goatskin A2, a Cable Raincoat contract.
It was a beautiful Russet color, size 46. If I ever come across it again (fat chance:() I'd buy it back in a second.
The other jacket was my Harley Davidson jacket that I owned for about 25 years and rode a couple of hundred thousand miles with. Sadly once you sell your last bike, there's really no place you can wear the jacket without someone asking you what model Harley you have. Then you have to lie or explain that you sold your bike and all you have now is the jacket . Kind of a lame explanation....o_O

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 269786 View attachment 269787 I regret selling two jackets years ago. The first was a new ELC Goatskin A2, a Cable Raincoat contract.
It was a beautiful Russet color, size 46. If I ever come across it again (fat chance:() I'd buy it back in a second.
The other jacket was my Harley Davidson jacket that I owned for about 25 years and rode a couple of hundred thousand miles with. Sadly once you sell your last bike, there's really no place you can wear the jacket without someone asking you what model Harley you have. Then you have to lie or explain that you sold your bike and all you have now is the jacket . Kind of a lame explanation....o_O
Hi B-Man. Thank you for sharing your story and welcome to the lounge. You could check out the classifieds section here at the lounge. Once in a while ELC a2 are offered there.

View attachment 269786 View attachment 269787 ...or explain that you sold your bike and all you have now is the jacket . Kind of a lame explanation....o_O

I wouldn't worry about it. :) My Ducati is looong gone and right now it doesn't seem like I'll own another bike ever again but I sure don't plan on quitting wearing motorcycle jackets. Before I'd actually take an effort to clarify that I sold my bike but now I just say "I like the jacket". :) Having a motorcycle doesn't transform a person into anything other than a person who has a motorcycle.
That's a really cool jacket in any case! Lotsa Harley patches, too!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't worry about it. :) My Ducati is looong gone and right now it doesn't seem like I'll own another bike ever again but I sure don't plan on quitting wearing motorcycle jackets. Before I'd actually take an effort to clarify that I sold my bike but now I just say "I like the jacket". :) Having a motorcycle doesn't transform a person into anything other than a person who has a motorcycle.
That's a really cool jacket in any case! Lotsa Harley patches, too!
I put my Ducati up for sale yesterday and have considered if I will still have the passion for wear motorcycle jackets when it sells. I do not plan to buy another motorcycle. I am purchasing a larger sailboat and hat will tale up my time and energies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21