Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you know???

Wild Root

Gone Home
I was in the market today to pick up some Oxi Clean to soak my Palm Beach pants in... well, as I was looking over the stock, I saw something that made my day! It's an old soap that has been around since the 20's if not earlier and it's called... Fels Naptha! How about that, they're still making Fels Maptha and it's being sold in Von's Pavilions and other supermarkets!!! You can also find Borax soap as well! This is so neat!!!

Also, I recall being at Wal*Mart (With a friend, I'd never go in there by my self lol) I saw in the hair care section Wildroot Cream Oil!!! Also, Vitalis and other brands that have been around since the early 20th! How keen is this? Oh brother, it is super neato keen!!!

Last but not least, I stopped by an AM PM mini mart at an Arco station last Sunday... I just about fell over when I saw they had Mexican 12oz glass bottles of Coca Cola!!! That's the real cane sugar stuff right there!!!
So, is the old fashioned goods making a come back? I recall these items were only available in special catalogs and Internet sites... this is so great that they're finally hitting the mainstream markets!

Viva La Golden Era! lol

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say, about Wildroot, what do you think of it? I'm ashamed to say I haven't tried it yet... I know it's my name sake here but, I haven't had the chance... does it smell nice? How well does it groom one's hair?

=WR=

Hondo

One Too Many
Outstanding old bean, well done :)

You can also find Borax soap as well! This is so neat!!!

21 mules, Borax, I can still ( :eek: ) recall that commerical lol

Mexican 12oz glass bottles of Coca Cola!!!

I'm gonna check out the local AM PM here and see if they carry the stuff, thats awesome dude, you rule buddy Thanks :eusa_clap

undertaker

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
Say, about Wildroot, what do you think of it? I'm ashamed to say I haven't tried it yet... I know it's my name sake here but, I haven't had the chance... does it smell nice? How well does it groom one's hair?

=WR=

I have only used it for a couple of days. But I can tell you that out of all the hair treatments I have tried so far it is my favorite. It has a much more pleasing odor than Vitalis and the smell isn't nearly as strong. It makes my seem a couple of shades darker, but it has a great shine and hold. I would think that it would be worth a try. If you don't like it you can always send it to me. LOL

I think their slogan was " Try Wildroot Hair Cream Oil Charlie" Probably good advise.

:eek:fftopic: By the way I have temporarily solved the steering wheel issue on my Desoto. I adapted one off of an old Dodge and used the Desoto horn button, it looks pretty good and will do for now.

Regards,
J.S.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
That's awesome! I was just thinking about something similar- I had picked up Rinso brand dishwashing liquid (at the 99 cent store:D ) and the label said since 1910! I guess any company that wasn't bought out by a major conglomerate somehow still makes it's way to random merchants and retailers...

WR, maybe you are just prone to notice these things... you size 'em up and zero in on stuff (just like Predator!) 'modern' folks would take for grantedlol

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:

=WR=

I use it a lot. I've been ordering it by mail and over the remarkable internets for about a decade. I had a glass bottle I used to use, pouring the contents of the plastic into the glass, but it broke in our last move and I haven't bothered replacing it yet. It smells nice, but it has a very soft hold.

Combing your hair is very satisfying with Wildroot in it, because it combs easy and comes out perfect and shiny.

I usually combine it with some Murrays for hold.

Incidentally, Lucky Tiger and Booster products are also still available, and very very vinatgey. They also smell great.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, sounds like I'm going to pick some Wildroot up then!

Rinso was a sponcer of the Amos and Andy program in the 40's. The 99c stores seem to cary some of these old brands! I recall finding Lux soap at a 99c store once... I used it and loved it! So old fashioned!!!

It's all about the products that have been around for the last 70+ years!!!

=WR=

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I use Wildroot. Its pretty good, not tooo heavy or smelly. I tried another called formula 29 and at first it smells like skunk, I'm not even kidding. after a couple of minutes it goes away but peeuuu...

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wildroot (the pomade, not the guy:( ) was in the clearance section of one of the KMarts around here, even though a newer style jar was on the regular health and beauty department shelf.
I get Castile soap from the Big Lots store to use the bathtub.
Got a big jar of Yardley's Lavender pomade when I was a teen, yes, I've been vintage for a long time, still have it. Natives in sarongs are drawn on the lid. Don't think it's still manufactured, though.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wild Root said:
I was in the market today to pick up some Oxi Clean to soak my Palm Beach pants in... well, as I was looking over the stock, I saw something that made my day! It's an old soap that has been around since the 20's if not earlier and it's called... Fels Naptha! How about that, they're still making Fels Maptha and it's being sold in Von's Pavilions and other supermarkets!!! You can also find Borax soap as well! This is so neat!!!

I grew up in a Fels Naptha household -- my grandmother used to chip it into the washing machine with a cheese grater, and all our clothes used to smell of it. A very evocative aroma!

It's a very good soap -- great for pre-wash spotting, but you can also use it as the basis for a homemade liquid laundry solution that's *much* cheaper in the long run than the usual Tide/Cheer/All stuff.

Just grate about a third of a bar of Fels Naptha into a saucepan, add about three pints of water, and cook over low heat till it liquifies. Add half a cup of Borax powder and half a cup of washing soda (both of which you can find in most supermarkets), and stir till it thickens. Then take a two-gallon pail, add a quart of hot water, mix in the soap solution, and when it's thoroughly blended, fill the rest of the pail with cold water and let it sit overnight.

Use about half a cup of this solution for each load of washing -- it'll last for months!!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
So, is the old fashioned goods making a come back? I recall these items were only available in special catalogs and Internet sites... this is so great that they're finally hitting the mainstream markets!

=WR=

Humm. Maybe they're coming back out there, WR, but they never left over here. They just moved them to a lower shelf when the sales fell off, but as folks are interested in nostalgia, they're getting moved back to eyelevel. Otherwise, they're right in the same place they always were in our neck of the woods.;)

Regards! michaelson

undertaker

Practically Family
Girl Friday said:
So how does Wildroot compare to Brillcreme? And how does it hold up under a fedora?

I wondered the same thing, thus my reason for trying it. For me it seems to work well, I have short hair and the Wildroot holds it, but not firm so it gives a little under my hat then pops back when I remove my hat. I'm sold on it my self.

Regards,
J.S.

shindeco

A-List Customer
A little :eek:fftopic:

Wildroot Cream Oil sponsored the Sam Spade radio series:

"Wildroot Cream Oil …
Again and again
the choice of men
who put good grooming first

By the way, smart girls use Wildroot Cream Oil, too
And mothers say it’s grand for training children’s hair."

(Sorry, I could hear the commercial while reading this thread!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo