Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dieting practices of women in the 1950s & '40s?

Skari Spice

New in Town
Hi! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a new member who is now glued to this forum, heh.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m curious about the dieting practices of women in the 1950s and back. I love the pre-feminism idea that housewives must be beautiful and trim at all times for their husbands, handing him a martini as soon as he walks in the door from a hard day?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s work. But what were some of the routines that women followed to lose weight or keep weight off back then? (I know that cigarettes and diet pills were common.) I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve been looking online for books or articles on the topic and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m unable to find anything. Care to share your knowledge and thoughts?

Naama

Practically Family
Skari Spice said:
I love the pre-feminism idea that housewives must be beautiful and trim at all times for their husbands, handing him a martini as soon as he walks in the door from a hard day?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s work.

Well, if there's something I don't like about the "good old days" that's the second point on top of my list!

Naama

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Many women of my grandmother's generation were prescribed amphetamines by their doctors as a way of helping women keep up with the work of caring for a large family. This was euphemistically referred to as "mother's little helper" and in addition to keeping women energetic, it was also a very effective appetite suppressant (and unhealthy!). Smoking also suppresses the appetite.

Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm has dieting advice from the 1930s, along with exercises intended to keep off extra pounds. The book also offers eating advice for women who are too thin.

Also bear in mind that women of the golden era were often tightly girdled, which would have compressed and smoothed the figure.

Skari Spice

New in Town
MissQueenie said:
Many women of my grandmother's generation were prescribed amphetamines by their doctors as a way of helping women keep up with the work of caring for a large family. This was euphemistically referred to as "mother's little helper" and in addition to keeping women energetic, it was also a very effective appetite suppressant (and unhealthy!). Smoking also suppresses the appetite.

Yeah! My mother-in-law was actually prescribed cigarettes in the 50s. Wow.

Dis

New in Town
I do believe some people still wore a form of corset in the 20s. MY grandmother talked of wearing one to get that 'flat' look that was so popular then. She had been very well endowed.

I think the 'thin' image is one that we get from films of the era. Back then to get into movies, women had to stand in front of a chart which told how exactly what proportions they needed. Did you notice how much alike women were shaped in the movies?

I like the idea of being beautiful for my husband but I never had that ideal figure. I'm just not built that way. Instead of the martini he gets a mocha coffee or tea.:D

Tin Pan Sally

I went right to the source for that answer:
I'm told the Poverty Diet was the most common means of controling ones weight. That, and home cooked meals from scratch (pre-TV dinner).
Oh, and those lovely girdles.

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Skari Spice said:
Yeah! My mother-in-law was actually prescribed cigarettes in the 50s. Wow.

My grandmothers and a friend of hers were prescribed camels in the 50's for calming the nerves.
She still smokes... but at least now its ultra lights. :rolleyes: we struck up a conversation about it once when she was admiring my cigarette case, and couldnt believe I smoked lucky strikes.

-jess

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Maybe it was later than what I was thinking, but, looking at old pictures it seemed women were meant to be much 'curvier' than the fashion norm these days...although, a lot of actresses are starting to put on some pounds too :hamburger

Skari Spice

New in Town
mysterygal said:
Maybe it was later than what I was thinking, but, looking at old pictures it seemed women were meant to be much 'curvier' than the fashion norm these days

I definitely notice the extreme hourglass figure in 1950s actresses like Marilyn and Rita. They have large breasts, large hips, and teeeenytiny waists. Must've been the corsets, but dang! When trying on vintage dresses, it's almost always the waist that gives me the problem. No matter how much I suck it in, it! won't! zip! :eek:

~Kari

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Exactly what I noticed, which it would be interesting how they did it cause usually if you have a big chest with ample thighs.....you've got ample waist as well, .....maybe it's all that hoola hooping:)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Skari Spice said:
Hi! I’m a new member who is now glued to this forum, heh.

I’m curious about the dieting practices of women in the 1950s and back. I love the pre-feminism idea that housewives must be beautiful and trim at all times for their husbands, handing him a martini as soon as he walks in the door from a hard day’s work. But what were some of the routines that women followed to lose weight or keep weight off back then? (I know that cigarettes and diet pills were common.) I’ve been looking online for books or articles on the topic and I’m unable to find anything. Care to share your knowledge and thoughts?

I too like that ideal and would love to be Donna Reed. :)

I wish my scanner worked. :( I just recieved a few Ladies Home Journals from the 40's that show some exercises to slim the waist.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That's why Audrey Hepurn thought she was scrawney. Edith Head hated designing for her in the beginning because of her waif-like figure. Back then, being skinny was just as bad as being overweight! I have a reprint of a book from the late 30's that prescribes a cup of hot chocolate a night to the girl who is too thin. I have books from the 50's that target the "too thin" too. It's really funny how things change! Aside from the 20's and early 30's, women always wanted to have a figure!

I have seen patterns on occasion for the "pads" spoken of earlier. Kind of like hip or butt pads. Fredrick's actually sells them still. Some 50's is a nightmare for me to pull off.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
That's why Audrey Hepurn thought she was scrawney. Edith Head hated designing for her in the beginning because of her waif-like figure. Back then, being skinny was just as bad as being overweight! I have a reprint of a book from the late 30's that prescribes a cup of hot chocolate a night to the girl who is too thin. I have books from the 50's that target the "too thin" too. It's really funny how things change! Aside from the 20's and early 30's, women always wanted to have a figure!

I have seen patterns on occasion for the "pads" spoken of earlier. Kind of like hip or butt pads. Fredrick's actually sells them still. Some 50's is a nightmare for me to pull off.

Yeah, I have some beauty books, too that have some diets to gain weight. At least that seemed more usual than trying to loose weight... I have something from a old mag though. If I remember it I can scan that one ;-)

P.s.: Jiphie I have the average waist from back than!!!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
You can read such differing accounts as to how much we have changed our habits and our shape.

I don't know what the food situation was like in the U.S during the war years but Britain had a really bad deal of it and rationing continued into the 50's. This probably counted as the most significant factor in women's diets, that there simply wasn't much food.

If you read the english women's magazines of the late 40's and early 50's there are countless advertisement for tonics and pick-me-up pills for women that have lost interest in food and are unable to sleep. Basically those who were totally burnt out from 10 years of hard work, worry and not enough food.

There is no mention of weight, only a preoccupation of how to make a little food go a long way.

I don't know how this changed towards the later 1950's, I have heard that amphetamine based "slimming" pills were marketed in women's publications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo