Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between Cuenca and Montecristi?

EAL

New in Town
I'd like to know the difference between these two hats other than the brief info at panamabob.com where I'm comparing the two.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
You have the world's expert over there in Hawaii. ;) Why not give him a call?

Seriously, the main difference lies in the fact that the Cuenca is wet bleached and the Montecristi is bleached in a sulphur box. Also, you can find much finer Montecristis.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Montes vs Cuencas

Bob you dismiss the difference very summarily. I have always understood there is a tremendous difference in longevity between Montes and Cuencas viz 5 years vs 20 for the Superdooper Finos. No es verdad?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I didn't know what you were digging at. Yes, I am just touching the surface.

The Cuenca bleached hats are probably not going to last as long as the Montecristi because the oxygenation probably weakens the fiber. It isn't hard, though, to find Cuencas that are bleached via a sulphur box and would fool many a person as to thinking they are Montecristi. Oh, wait, it happens all of the time when you see the name Monte Cristi, or Monte Christi, or Monticristi. Even the finest Cuenca hats are generically called montecristi quality or jipijapa.

In Cuenca, the weavers always seem to be weaving. In Montecristi, the weavers weave only during certain periods of time and weather. A Cuenca hat might be woven in a matter of hours, if brisa, crochet, or torcido, or any other more open weave. A Cuenca llano liso might be woven in a day, too, if coarse, whereas the Montecristi will take a matter of a week or two due to the limited weaving time.

skybluewater

New in Town
Glad to see this question asked and discussed. I am considering buying my first panama hat and am trying to decide between the two.

EAL

New in Town
Panamabob said:

Thanks for the warm welcome. :p

I heard this was a good forum on another, unrelated forum, and I've seen what looks like a lot of good advice given here, so this is where I asked.

Pretty much anything I buy in Hawaii is going to be grossly overpriced. Years ago I was in a shop in Waikiki that sold nothing but Panama hats, and the guy running it seemed like the type who'd try to sell cow dung to a dairy farmer and succeed more often than not. But the prices seemed completely outrageous, and that's the last I thought about buying a Panama hat until I read about your site via this one - panamabob.com - that's you right?

Anyway, I don't believe in asking a proprietor questions about his product unless I would consider buying from him, and unless I hear great things about someone selling hats here on Oahu, I'm not considering buying locally. If I buy locally, I'm paying for the product plus the seller's high cost of doing business here. I don't know if the expert you refer to is the same guy I happened by way back when, but in any case, I don't currently intend to do business with him unless I learn of a compelling reason why I should.

None the less, thanks for your answers. Some of it went over my head as I'm completely new to Panama hats, but if I understood and boiled it down correctly, you don't recommend your line of Cuencas?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I like them both but...

I have several Cuenca and Montecristi hats, I like the weave style of the Montecristi and its color. I use a Cuenca more as a yard /casual hat and a Montecristi as a dress hat. The nice thing about Robert Weber AKA Panamabob is you can buy a real Montecristi for what most sellers sell a Cuenca for.
I have found most sellers on auctions sites :rage: pass off Cuenca as Montecristi's...

roger.JPG
One of my Fino Fino Montecristi hats

MVC-058F.jpg
Bound edge Montecristi...

Rogerinhat.JPG
Two more Montecristi hats...Shoeshineboy and myself...

finofinoantique3.JPG
A 84 year old Montecristi Super Fino...Looks like linen.

http://www.panamas.biz/index.html

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
I'm a rank amateur, but...

By no means am I an expert. In fact, I'm more of a lurker here than anything else. But I'll take a shot at answering your underlying question, and let the experts correct all of the mistakes.

As I understand it, both hats are supposed to be hand-woven in Guatemala, but in two different cities (villages?), from which the hats take their names. Each village developed its own techniques for the preparation of the palm fibers, and its own weaves. In general (very general), the Montecristis are considered to be of higher quality than those produced in Cuenca, but it depends on the individual hats being considered. A groso Montecristi is certainly not of higher quality than a fino-fino Cuenco.

That said, most of the members here seem to have a general preference for the Montecristis (though NB13 has a very recent post about a new Cuenca he acquired), and based upon the discussions the Montecristis seem to have longer lives. (Aside: is this because they are better treated by their owners, or is it inherent in the fiber preparation?) What it boils down to in the end is what do you intend for the had, what block do you prefer, and how much money do you want to spend.

Hope that is somewhat correct, and somewhat helpful (and not over your head...)

Happy Easter,

RC

EAL

New in Town
Thanks for your pictures Sharpetoys and thanks for your explanations rcinlv. It looks like I should lean towards Montecristis if possible.

What do you call the block shape in that top picture Sharpetoys?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Some of it went over my head as I'm completely new to Panama hats, but if I understood and boiled it down correctly, you don't recommend your line of Cuencas?

No, I like the Cuencas, too, but the better hat for the money from our family to yours is the Montecristi.

As I understand it, both hats are supposed to be hand-woven in Guatemala, but in two different cities (villages?),

ECUADOR, ECUADOR, ECUADOR! :p The best coastal hats come from Pile, a ways down the road from Montecristi, but Montecristi is the hub of the industry. The best hats in the mountains come from around Cuenca (Azuay and Canar provinces).

The Montecristi hats go up much finer than any Cuenca hat does. Comparison, the most expensive Cuenca hat I've found is half of what the most expensive Montecristi I've seen...and looked it, too.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
ECUADOR, ECUADOR, ECUADOR! :p

YIKES!!! :eusa_doh: I knew that... I hope this doesn't mean that the hats I ordered from you will be held up as a punishment! :D

Cheers,

RC

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I hope some hats come up soon. Holy Week puts Ecuador into a frenzy. It is Mother's Day, New Year's Day, and then Easter that really slow things down.

Here is a Good Friday Procession:

tradition-goodfriday4.jpg

RedPop4

One Too Many
That's what I did.
Stan, that garb in the costuming pre-dates the KKK by centuries. The anonymity subjugates the sense of self, much like a monk's habit or a nun's habit. It's for community purpose, and sacrificing one's own ego for the community, rather than as cover for evil deeds....."that secret society I don' believe I need to mention......" (Homer Stokes)

warbird

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
That's what I did.
Stan, that garb in the costuming pre-dates the KKK by centuries. The anonymity subjugates the sense of self, much like a monk's habit or a nun's habit. It's for community purpose, and sacrificing one's own ego for the community, rather than as cover for evil deeds....."that secret society I don' believe I need to mention......" (Homer Stokes)

Is you is or is you ain't ma constichency? ;)

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Looking for a simple answer

Panamabob said:

Seriously, the main difference lies in the fact that the Cuenca is wet bleached and the Montecristi is bleached in a sulphur box. Also, you can find much finer Montecristis.

I am currently waiting with worms on my tongue (baited breath) for an extra fino Cuenca which I ordered 3 weeks ago from Robert. I guess I asked him the same question.
But I would like to ask it again. I'm not looking for a $500 straw hat. What I want is a $100 hat that I can wear daily. Which will look the best for a couple of years ??? A fino Montecristi or a extra fino Cuenca ??

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi Bob

Hi to all.
I'm looking for a straight sided crown, not tapered, hight like an OR crown, or few less. With not too wide brims. I like very much the hat sharpey shows with shoeshineboys.
Bob or Sharpey, have you any answer for me?
(I'm waiting 15Th may to put my PanamaBob Montecristi's on...)
Best regards.
Riccardo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass