Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences in Akubra fedoras?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Hiya- I wonder if any of you folks who are better-educated in the world of Akubras would school me a bit. I'm familiar with the Akubra "country" hats, but just looking at the pictures on the Hatsdirect website, the fedoras seem to be very very similar. The Stylemaster, Bogart and Fedora all have a brim width of 64 mm. So other than the width of the ribbons, what is there to distinguish between the models? And the CEO looks to me like the Fed with a bound edge.

I know that for many of you the differences between these hats must be very obvious. But at this stage of my hat knowledge I'm like a city slicker in the country for the first time- all those trees look the same......Thanks!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Stylemaster and Bogart are indeed similar, but the Stylemaster has a teardrop bash and the Bogart has a center-dent bash. The Bogart also has a wider ribbon. (These are precreased hats that can't be modifed without some effort.) I think the Fedora/Sydney is a softer, easier to shape hat, but I'm not sure.

The CEO is different from the Federation in that it's precreased and difficult to change from its factory bash, unlike the softer open-crown Fed. And the Fed has a dimensional brim, bigger front and back than on the sides, whereas the CEO is circular. The CEO also has a same-color ribbon, unlike the darker-than-the-hat Fed ribbon.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I asked this on another thread, but since this thread is for noting differences, I ask again.

What is Superfine? I know of Imperial and Heritage felts. Someone else answered it, but it needs to be in here, as well.

Can we expand it out to Country hats, too? Or should we start a separate thread?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
The Stylemaster and Bogart are indeed similar, but the Stylemaster has a teardrop bash and the Bogart has a center-dent bash. The Bogart also has a wider ribbon. (These are precreased hats that can't be modifed without some effort.) I think the Fedora/Sydney is a softer, easier to shape hat, but I'm not sure.

The CEO is different from the Federation in that it's precreased and difficult to change from its factory bash, unlike the softer open-crown Fed. And the Fed has a dimensional brim, bigger front and back than on the sides, whereas the CEO is circular. The CEO also has a same-color ribbon, unlike the darker-than-the-hat Fed ribbon.

OK, I gotcha! I had no idea those were all pre-creased. What a pain. I re-bashed my Snowy River and it did take some doing.......and a lotta steam! That's kinda too bad. I mean the factory bashes look good, but it's nice to be able to play around with them. Now that I look at the ad copy a bit more, I see that the Fedora supposedly has a softer finish. Also a wind trolley. Also $10.00 more than the others.
All righty- that clears things up- thanks.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
I asked this on another thread, but since this thread is for noting differences, I ask again.

What is Superfine? I know of Imperial and Heritage felts. Someone else answered it, but it needs to be in here, as well.

Can we expand it out to Country hats, too? Or should we start a separate thread?
I have a Superfine Akubra Squatter and an Imperial Akubra Federation and DM Adventurer. The Superfine isn't lined and feels to me a little heavier. Thats the only differences I can tell you about.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
I think the Fedora/Sydney is a softer, easier to shape hat, but I'm not sure.

Yes, I have 4 Akubras and the Sydney is the softest of the four. The Campdraft is next with my Federation and DM Adventurer are the stiffest. The Fed and Adventurer have softened up nicely so that they're now the same as the Campdraft. But the Sydney is by far the softest. It can be rebashed daily so its almost like having a new hat every day.

RedPop4

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
I have a Superfine Akubra Squatter and an Imperial Akubra Federation and DM Adventurer. The Superfine isn't lined and feels to me a little heavier. Thats the only differences I can tell you about.
Thank you KY Gent.

Tangent.

Which models have liners?

I'm really considering pulling the trigger on a hat or two, as I know that Akubra is about the best company out there for what I deem to be reasonably priced fur felt. I'm not like a lot of you who choose to spend what I'd call big bucks on bespoke hats. Wish I could, but I just can't, don't have it, and Mrs RedPop doesn't understand hats, she only looks at $$$ and regales her friends that I"m crazy enough to spend $100 on a hat.

The nice looking countrys and now the Squatter, I read, within my price range right now come unlined. I don't know what to make of that. I'd prefer lined hats, but again, the risk of bringing the price out of my range.....:confused: :confused: :eusa_booh

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Most, but not all, of the country hats with ventilation grommets are unlined - for example, my Cattleman isn't lined. Most of the country hats without the ventilation holes are lined - for example, my Stockman is.

But I gather that some ventilated hats are also lined, which doesn't make much sense to me. Having that satin against your hair is pretty darn sweat-inducing in warm weather (but toasty warm in cool weather.)

Neil

A-List Customer
Just ordered a Federation Deluxe

I gave up on getting one made. Had a bad experience with one custom hatter, wasn't too keen on waiting six months (!) for and Adventurebilt, and couldn't get Camptown to return messages or calls.
Hatsdirect, though, immediately sent a message back saying plenty in stock, just fill out the form and send the credit card number.
It's rabbit felt, but what the hell. At a hundred bucks, and a delivery time of a week, I'll take my chances. Look forward to it.
It's open crown, but I live right near a great guy here in Bethesda, Vince Corvelli. He has a business called American Hatter, and he does great work.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
RedPop4- the Squatter is available in Imperial as well as SuperFine.
I bought my Squatter from EverythingAustralian, but I've seen them listed other places in Imperial Quality (David Morgan, for example).
Just wanted to let you know not all Squatters are liner-less.

jec

One of the Regulars
Liners in ventilated hats

Doctor Strange said:
Most, but not all, of the country hats with ventilation grommets are unlined - for example, my Cattleman isn't lined. Most of the country hats without the ventilation holes are lined - for example, my Stockman is.

But I gather that some ventilated hats are also lined, which doesn't make much sense to me. Having that satin against your hair is pretty darn sweat-inducing in warm weather (but toasty warm in cool weather.)

Yes, both the Angler and Riverina are lined - and both have ventilation holes in the sides of the crown.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
jecoe@earthlink said:
There was a thread from last summer in which I asked about removing the liner from my Angler:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32623

I ultimately opted to keep the liner, but remove the plastic dome.
The hat is hot during the summer - but at least the liner no longer sticks to my bald head!

Oh yeah- that's gotta be unpleasant.
I just figure that the Slouch hat is designed for extreme use, and IT doesn't have a liner, so why should any of 'em.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Guys, thank you all so much.
As I read the responses I began to think that down here, I would still be warm enough in an unlined felt hat, when it's actually cold. Most likely, with the ventilation holes, it won't be altogether uncomfortable the rest of the year.

Good conversation and information so far, I appreciate it.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I think a lot of it has to do with the individual. Myself, my head generates a good bit of heat, and even in our summers here in the mountains I can sweat through my slouch pretty easily- never mind Nawlins! I think hats with eyelets in 'em are pretty much a necessity in any kind of heat.

Rider

Familiar Face
Doctor Strange said:
The CEO is different from the Federation in that it's precreased and difficult to change from its factory bash,...

What is the crease on the CEO, and how is the taper? Does anyone have a picture of this hat?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Here's a pic-
hat_ceo.jpg

The only dimension I know is the brim which is 70mm. The crown looks to me to have a bit of a taper but it's hard to be sure. I can't find any more info even on Akubra's website.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Rev Tom said:
Does the brim of the Federation turn up or down in the back?
Whatever you want it to do. I just got mine yesterday and it seems to be a very co-operative hat. I haven't had to use any steam on it and it holds a bash well- I have the brim up in back but it's just as happy to be down. I'm having to work on getting the front to curl just right but it will come with a bit more wear.
I'm really pleased with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy