Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Different Ribbon Widths

TAutry

New in Town
Ok, I'm really new to hats and I've been reading all kinds of threads. I don't have a real fedora yet and am researching. In looking at the different picture posts, I see various ribbon widths. I think I'm partial to a ribbon around 1 inch wide. The really wide 1 3/4 to 2 inch don't really appeal. The really thin ribbons look cool for outdoor hats, but look a little western to me. I think the 1" or so, is a good in-between for an all-around, everyday hat.

What is the general opinion? I know it all boils down to individual preference and the look that a guy or gal wants. I just wonder what is the most popular width or is there one.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer wider ribbons - the hat in the post from Tim (Cane Rod Maker) has a ribbon slightly over 2". Having said that I'll happily wear hats with narrower ribbons from time to time, it depends on the hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
For me, it all depends on what I'm going after, whether it's something of a Fedora look, a Western look, a casual look, dressy look, etc. I also consider the crown height, the shape of the crown, the color of the hat, and so on....but don't limit yourself to just one kind. You may pull off a lot of different styles better than you think.

For this Black hat and its crisp C-crown crease with a height of 4 1/2 inches, I chose a Khaki colored 3/4 mid-ribbon...

Black_Resistol_Conversion_02.jpg

Black_Resistol_Conversion_01.jpg

Two more 3/4 mid-ribbons...

OR_Hybrid_02.jpg

Comparison_01.jpg

Or_Center_Dent_06.jpg

Comparison_02.jpg

A thin ribbon for the Open Road / Stratoliner look...

Slim_Ribbon_04.jpg

TAR_OR.jpg

A wider ribbon...

Conversion_02.jpg

A very thin Western style ribbon...

My_Bradford.jpg

Last edited:

gear-guy

Practically Family
Excellent info and pic's TJ, I like wider ribbons just my style but to each his own. Just go after the style that suits you best, and TJ start looking your age PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

John T. Sarto

Familiar Face
Good advice T Jones. I am pretty new to hats but have purchased a few different widths. I wanted only wider ribbons to start but have learned not to limit my choices and have grown quite fond of thin ribbons. TAutry you may want to start with a one inch, but don't limit yourself.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
gear-guy:
Excellent info and pic's TJ, I like wider ribbons just my style but to each his own. Just go after the style that suits you best, and TJ start looking your age PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
Thanks buddy....Ha! But I do look my age! I've been 39 for the last 21 years! ;)

John T. Sarto:
Good advice T Jones. I am pretty new to hats but have purchased a few different widths. I wanted only wider ribbons to start but have learned not to limit my choices and have grown quite fond of thin ribbons. TAutry you may want to start with a one inch, but don't limit yourself.
Thanks John T....Yes. A variety of choices will give us far more versatility for different styles.

JAVIER:
TJ not to highjack the thread but what are the open crown lengths on those and what's the best to accomplish that tall crown and still enjoy nice deep crease/ and or dents?
Most of my crown heights are around 4 1/2 inches. I also prefer straighter sided crowns with a tight pinch at the top. For deeper dents and for keeping the sides straighter I prefer going with a C-crown crease...(and I would love to get my hands on a straight sided hat block in my size)!

Here's a comparison between a C-crown crease, left, and a Center Dent, right. Both crowns are 4 1/2 inches tall...

Comparison.jpg

TAutry

New in Town
TJ- Very Snazzy looks. I really dig the 3/4" styles and the sharp look of your crowns. The tan with the 3/4" smokes.

I can see having different width ribbons on hand, especially if a guy is starting with the first hat. Changing the look for the occasion makes sense.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Terry, I'm sure you stay so darn young due to your economical attitude toward the use of facial muscles. The less you twist and turn a piece of leather, the longer it stays soft and supple :D

It's great to follow your developement as "barefoot hatter". You're really doing well with your ribbon work. Keep up the good work ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
RJR, TAutry, Ole, Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feed back...I actually like all the ribbon widths, depending on what I'm wearing. I probably gravitate more toward the mid and thin ribbons since they seem to go better with casual attire. Although, depending on the color, I think the Whippet can be a pretty versatile hat that can be worn with both dressy and casual attire.

Ole:
Terry, I'm sure you stay so darn young due to your economical attitude toward the use of facial muscles. The less you twist and turn a piece of leather, the longer it stays soft and supple :D
Ha! So true! Which is why I'm very careful about smiling too much. I don't want to over-work my face! :D

It's great to follow your developement as "barefoot hatter". You're really doing well with your ribbon work. Keep up the good work ;)
Thanks buddy. You guys in the "Conversion Corral" have been great....and I appreciate all the help and advice you and the others have shared. You've been a great source for information and help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum