Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dimension Help

Justdog

Practically Family
Trying to determine the dimensions of the hat Daniel day Lewis wore in "There will be blood" I know it has a rolled pencil brim that is bound with a matching hat band. The crown is not that high but cant determine how high and am a bit
lost on the brim size from the edge of the upturned roll to the bottom of the crown. Or the total brim before the roll. Has a campaign bash or pinch at the front but not at the back.

DanielDayLewisHat2.jpg

DanielDayLewisHat3.jpg

DanielDayLewisHat.jpg

Thanks

carter

I'll Lock Up
Here are some shots of an Oreanna bash I did on an old OR a couple of years ago.
2054129720_81611b2b55_m.jpg
2054130516_2669871c65_m.jpg
2054133252_a6f957a37e_m.jpg

2054133494_44eb739cd2_m.jpg
2054137216_6cf6f10cd1_m.jpg

The front dents on DDL's hat appear to be a bit lower and there is no pencil roll on the OR brim.

Justdog

Practically Family
Bash

carter said:
The bash on that hat is called an Oreanna.

I'm guessing about 5 1/2" Crown and 4 1/4" Brim. But that's just a swag.

I would agree with that. Would it be 4 1/2 total or from the roll edge to the crown? I like your bashes and have enjoyed that particular post of yours. I would agree on the crown as well. I find that rolled pencil bound edge real sweat. I love that front bash. I pretty sure his particular hat (Lewis's) is not lined.

Was thinking this was close but not sure about the brim too short? 3 inches and crown might be a bit high.
DERB.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
I would agree with that. Would it be 4 1/2 total or from the roll edge to the crown? I like your bashes and have enjoyed that particular post of yours. I would agree on the crown as well. I find that rolled pencil bound edge real sweat. I love that front bash. I pretty sure his particular hat (Lewis's) is not lined.

Was thinking this was close but not sure about the brim too short? 3 inches and crown might be a bit high.
DERB.jpg
Justdog, I was thinking 4 1/2 total. The pencil roll being about 1/2" of the total.

I believe the hat you have pictured would work well. You should be able to form the dents enough to get the proportions to work. Use some steam if the felt is too stiff to shape by hand.

Have some fun and show us the results.

What is the hat you have pictured?

BTW, the brim on the OR is 2 1/2" and the crown is 5" (as nearly as I can tell).

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Read an interesting bit of news where Lewis said he found the hat in a costume shop. He thought it would work well for the film. So I guess it was really a cheap wool hat. Looked good though.

Justdog

Practically Family
Thanks

carter said:
Justdog, I was thinking 4 1/2 total. The pencil roll being about 1/2" of the total.

I believe the hat you have pictured would work well. You should be able to form the dents enough to get the proportions to work. Use some steam if the felt is too stiff to shape by hand.

Have some fun and show us the results.

What is the hat you have pictured?

BTW, the brim on the OR is 2 1/2" and the crown is 5" (as nearly as I can tell).

I saved it from a website I think it is Jackson hole hats
700 dollars in beaver. I have contacted http://www.smithbilthats.com/contact.htm they have a pretty good history dating to 1918, have done film hats and supplied famous individuals. Canadian to boot:eusa_doh: .
An interesting thing off topic is that the owner relayed to me how they would use otter if it was not endangered as it has qualities that can be superior to beaver. Otter is protected though. There are varying qualities to choose from thank goodness. As far as the original being wool, it must have been superior wool as it was a very sturdy hat with a nice large salt stain across the front of the crown. To me it looks like a nice quality hat.. I think the color is whiskey or acorn. Totally agree with your measurements. This will be a pursuit of patience. The OR you have bashed in the Oreanna oddly enough looks very much like the hats I saw last night in Sam Peckenpaugh Wild bunch. I like it. My understading thus far is it was supplied by Mark Bridges elevenoclock fashions

Justdog

Practically Family
Solved partly

Daniel Day-Lewis is considered a shoo-in for the Best Actor Oscar, along with the broad-brimmed brown, sweat-stained hat he wore. "There Will Be Blood" director Paul Thomas Anderson has said it was key to the portrayal of Daniel Plainview, the rapacious California oilman.

Anderson's longtime costume designer, Mark Bridges, talks about the hat: Q: How did you choose that hat? What did it mean to the movie? A: Leading up to the first time we see that hat, his hats kind of echo or inform what's going on with his career and life. He starts with a miner hat that is unshaped and unformed. By 1911, he had this hat. Daniel Day-Lewis felt the hats were very important to his character. There were three choices that were all good, and he took them and lived with them for days. He sort of creates mini-worlds, and so he took them, just took them for a spin, so to speak, and settled on that one as what he felt most comfortable with and most represented in his mind the character he was creating. And it took on a kind of magic where he would be Daniel Day-Lewis, but you knew he was Daniel Plainview once the hat went on. So that was very rewarding to me.

And by the way, the sweat stains are real. It was worn day in and day out and has been much loved by all who've come in contact with it.

And it's great that it's become an iconic image of the film. It was a found item, from one of the local costume rental shops. The hat size, the height of the crown, the coloring, the quality of it, everything about it was right. Again I have to say it took on a kind of magic, too, that we had it, that it was found. I love when that happens.

By John Pancake
The Washington Post

Guess the lesson here is wear our hats , sweat in em and someday they might be found and become an iconic symbol JD

carter

I'll Lock Up
Why do you think DDL's hat is wool?

Justdog, I was just remembering that Art Fawcett used to rent hats and such to film makers. Also, a lot of fur felts can be found in rental agencies, costume departments of film studios, colleges, universities, and professional as well as community theatre companies. That hat may very well be a fur felt, not wool. In fact, my guess is that it isn't wool. It would be nice to find out. ;) :)

I have seen and handled some nice felts that had sable and ermine in the blends. I don't believe I've seen otter but it makes sense that their fur would be superior. Also one of my favorite wild creatures. So I'm glad they are protected.

I probably saw the Oreanna in a film before finding it in a cowboy hat book. Along with the more-widely recognized Montana Peak, it is among my favorite iconic western bashes. It has also been used in gentlemen's hats.
2092846274_038cacf455.jpg

Here's one for the Montana Peak - rolled brim on the left, flat brim on the right
2092846336_82741312ab.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Thats it

Yep thats it all right , particularly the bottom photo with the roll.:eusa_clap
I could rebash my 100 but I would be vawwy vawwy sorry:)
Would not mind picking one up for 5 dollars Or the unblocked one below a bit cheaper:p
Thanks for the post

JBStetsonunblocked14hat.jpg

This one is quite nice in a 10x Beaver 10%

45TwoDots.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot