Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Jacket(Tuxedeo) Most versatile article of clothing for Dress Hats.

metropd

One Too Many
Because the Black Dinner Jacket remained virtually unchanged, the top hat, the homburg and the fedora were all worn with it and all appropriate to wear now with black tie. From the 19th century to the mid 30's the Top Hat was the Standard, than the homburg in the later 30's and into the mid 40's the fedora. Any Thoughts?

macfly

Familiar Face
I thought top hats were only appropriate with white tie? Perhaps it changed over the years.

anon`

One Too Many
I've never heard that toppers are only appropriate with a tail- or morning coat, but they certainly look... odd, when paired with the shorter dinner jacket. That alone seems like sufficient reason not to wear them together.

Afterthought: perhaps this is why the straw boater saw a period of popularity in the '20s & '30s? Similar shape as a traditional top hat, but with a lower crown that (to my eye, at least) complements the shorter jacket well?

jpdesign

Vendor
I always heard it as Top hat with tails, homberg with dinner jacket. THese days a fedora works, just because so few people where hats.

Jimmy

David V

A-List Customer
You are correct to say that in the early days of black tie the topper was used. It was replaced by the homburg by the mid thirties, with the topper used solely for full dress. I don't feel the fedora has replaced or is a suitable substitute for the homburg. However, if you do not yet own a homburg the fedora is better than going (eck!) hat less. And for the summer there is always the boater for the jaunty set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner