Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Distinctive ribbon color question

Erik

One of the Regulars
Say, what's the party line on having to match distinctive ribbons to some other apparel item? Like many, the color of my hat ribbons are unremarkable. Like some, I'm thinking of rectifying that. But before I do I want to know what I don't, so to speak. Thanks.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Erik,

I, for one, do like to have some hats with bolder ribbon colours, to combine with other apparel.

The greater part of hats I own sport the classic black ribbon, or a colour more or less matching the felt; but I have some which do not. I have a mid sage green with a burgundy ribbon, a tannish grey with a darker burgundy ribbon, and a grey with a dark purple/black striped ribbon. These I combine with burgundy/reddish ties (the former), and with purple shirts or ties, or ties with purple accents (the latter), and I believe they look great.

Of course, these hats are less versatile than the others, but I think it is a good idea to have some of them, for more purposeful clothing combinations.

An alternative is to have a more conservatively coloured ribbon, but with discreet colour accents. Art Fawcett is great at these combinations.

Regards!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think that when you dress it's ties the outfit together if there are accessories that match. With the hats, I enjoy matching the ribbon to something, but if you match the felt, that's fine.

The easiest solution is a pocket square or tie, and the match does not have to be exact. Just close. The best thing about a bold hat ribbon is that it opens the way for bolder choices in the rest of the outfit. At least, I think so.

It's a healthy sign, I think, that "bolder" or "less-traditional" or "unusual" (take your pick or add another) body/ribbon color combinations are showing up. I'm about as fond of traditional (think 1930s thru '50s) hat styles and colors as just about anyone you'll encounter, but I still like to see new variations on those old themes.

I'm really diggin' that lid Not Bogart is wearing in his current avatar -- that minty green ribbon on chocolate brown number. I'm also experimenting with some warm-colored bodies and cool-colored ribbon combinations (and vice versa) myself.

Erik

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Maybe one of these days I'll break out of the usual mold, ribbon wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart