Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Ladies notice a Man's shoes?

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
This is a question for the ladies of the Lounge, but the men can chime in to if they wish. I’ve been reading everywhere about how women really notice men’s shoes. Now, I’m happily married and this is really out of curiosity; and the fact that I’m a house-husband and I like to be “eye-candy” that my wife can wear on her arm! ;) But, I’ve been reading everywhere that women notice a man’s shoes as one of the first things when they meet a man. Is this true?

I’m sure that most women have their favorite body part that they notice as well, hair, eyes, hands, ears, nose, whatever… But for clothing, is it shoes? Also, if so, what is it that is captivating about the shoes? Do women prefer loafers, gunboats, tennis shoes, Birkenstocks, Vans, or cowboy boots (as an example)?

I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out...

Thanks in advance!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
These days, I tend to notice if a man is actually wearing *shoes* as opposed to sneakers or the like. A pair of understated, simple black or brown leather oxfords is, to me, the sign of a man of common sense.

A man ought not to wear sandals in public. Unless he's tramping over the hills of Palestine with his disciples or sword-fighting with animated skeletons on board a Grecian ship.

crwritt

One Too Many
I always look at shoes. I think what I notice most is whether the shoes go with the outfit. I don't mind a man wearing sandals in public, as long as his feet are clean and his toenails look well cared for, same as anyone else.
I've also been known to buy mens shoes and wear them myself if I like the style and they fit me.
So If you find that a gal is staring admiringly at your shoes, it may be that she wants a pair for herself!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'm okay with sneakers on *young* men... as in college age or younger. They're also appropriate if you're out doing something very active, for example, touring the Gettysburg Battlefield or doing a walking tour of a large city. On a day to day basis, Lizzie's right though... oxfords, loafers, or just something that says you put some thought into your attire is much nicer. However, I don't tend to notice shoes first, so much as the overall image. Is your hair neatly combed, your shirt unrumpled and clean, if you wear jewelry, is it tasteful, if you're wearing a tie, is it neatly knotted and of a proper length... things like that. Shoes are just part of a total package - they should also be clean, in good condition, and congruent with the outfit. The clincher for me is usually smell - I like a guy that looks put together and smells fabulous *when I step near* (read: I shouldn't be able to smell him from 10 or even 5 paces). Also, there's something about cufflinks that is incredibly urbane. Not sure what, and they're not appropriate for every day wear any more, unless you're a CEO or some similar position, but there you have it.

And Lizzie's also right about sandals. I hate them on men.

PS - This is a description of my ideal. I love my man for who he is, but he doesn't often look the way I described above :)

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Very interesting ladies. I would not, by any means, subject the world to my toes via sandals.:D

So, it's the way it's put together. That's good to know. I was wondering if I was missing something. My shoes are usually in good repair and shined~ a great habit the army taught me years ago as a young man.

What about leather soles vs non-leather soles? I prefer leather soles myself, but they can be slippery when new. My off hand guess would be that leather soles would show a little more classic style or show that a man has put a little more thought into his outfit. Would that assumption be correct?

Oh, also, what about with shorts? It's getting very, very humid here in Minn. and I try not to wear shorts, but I may be forced too this summer.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm rarely in a position to look at the soles of men's shoes, but I like leather soles on my own shoes, so it follows that I'd prefer them on mens' as well. But if I see a guy wearing leather soled shoes on the street in the rain without rubbers over them, I know he's a poseur.

Shorts, I dislike intensely on any male over the age of 12. Unless he's on his way to engage the Afrika Korps, or to dine with the Viceroy of India.

Last edited:

rue

My grandfather always said you can tell a man by his shoes and I feel the same way. If they are in bad shape I wonder what else he doesn't take care of. So yes, I always look at his shoes.

As far as type.... like Lizzie, I prefer oxfords. I also like spectators, but good luck finding those on a man's feet these days unless they are one of the gentleman of The Lounge.

I don't like sandals on men and although tennis shoes are okay for certain things, I hate running shoes with normal clothes.

I'd like to add to the original question. I usually wear cowboy boots, but I have a couple pair of loafers. Ladies, do you feel these are appropriate with blue jeans or shall I just stick with the cowboy boots?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
What about leather soles vs non-leather soles? I prefer leather soles myself, but they can be slippery when new. My off hand guess would be that leather soles would show a little more classic style or show that a man has put a little more thought into his outfit. Would that assumption be correct?

As per Lizzie's answer - I'm not usually in a position to look at the bottom of a man's shoe! And if I am, I just hope not to see holes.

I notice men's shoes. Not so much what they are, but whether they go with what he is wearing, are in good repair and whether they show a bit of flair outside the norm.

On the shorts issue... you can wear them on the beach, for hiking, for fishing and for gardening. I don't really like shorts in anything but a very casual context, which goes for women too.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I don't usually notice the soles of shoes either, but if I did, I would think leather soles showed an acute attention to detail. :)

My two cents on shorts: I don't mind them in casual settings, as long as they hit the knee, are solid coloured, and are worn with smart sandals (no flip flops).

I'd like to add to the original question. I usually wear cowboy boots, but I have a couple pair of loafers. Ladies, do you feel these are appropriate with blue jeans or shall I just stick with the cowboy boots?

I don't see why not. Classic dark wash blue jeans look nice with conservative loafers - My dad wears them often. They might also be cooler than cowboy boots if it gets hot out. Though they should always be worn with socks!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Loafers are the mark of the tourist around here, especially when worn with shorts and without socks, so it's hard for me to have a neutral opinion. But when they are worn, they shouldn't be shiny and polished to a mirror gloss -- they're a casual "weekend" shoe, and scuffs and marks add to their character. And for all that's holy, avoid tassels or kitlies unless you want to look like a preening '80s executive.

Last edited:
I was considering this, because of them being cooler, and of course I would wear them with socks. Shoes are meant to be worn with socks, in my opinion.

I just wasn't sure if they'd be too 'old guy' with jeans. Maybe that's only the case if I had ironed creases in them lol

I don't see why not. Classic dark wash blue jeans look nice with conservative loafers - My dad wears them often. They might also be cooler than cowboy boots if it gets hot out. Though they should always be worn with socks!

Lizzie, I would never consider wearing tassles on anything! haha!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I'm with AtomicEraTom on the tassels too. Yikes! No tassels for me. Thanks for the input on the shorts as well!!!! I'm looking at getting a new pair of oxfords, gunboats, or maybe loafers. Not sure which. The loafers would be great in Minn for the summer, but our summers are so short. :-(

rene_writer

Familiar Face
I hate to be the voice of opposition and confusion, but I find work boots and flip flops a big turn-on. Other than that, I don't really care one way or another for men's shoes except that (and this may be a Caliornia thing or just a living-in-the-boondocks thing) but girls around here look at men's shoes because if he is wearing oxfords, loafers, or any other kind of leather shoe besides cowboy boots in a casual setting we assume he's gay and don't bother flirting. In these parts that is accurate about 90% of the time. Europeans get a pass on this rule of thumb.

So, hmm... yeah.

rue

I hate to be the voice of opposition and confusion, but I find work boots and flip flops a big turn-on. Other than that, I don't really care one way or another for men's shoes except that (and this may be a Caliornia thing or just a living-in-the-boondocks thing) but girls around here look at men's shoes because if he is wearing oxfords, loafers, or any other kind of leather shoe besides cowboy boots in a casual setting we assume he's gay and don't bother flirting. In these parts that is accurate about 90% of the time. Europeans get a pass on this rule of thumb.

So, hmm... yeah.

You must live in rural California, because where I grew up (the L.A. area) men still wear leather shoes.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's a reply from the other side: I'm a fella, and I notice whether a lady keeps her leather pumps, flats, loafers, lace-ups, or sandals well-polished and maintained. I'm curious to know how many of the Lounge ladies polish their own shoes (or have others do it for them) on a regular basis, if at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24