Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Couple of things you can try without buying anything: Rub a wax candle against the teeth. Wax is a good lubricant. Or a graphite pencil. Graphite is a good lubricant, too. Maybe a dab of WD40 if those do not work.

willyto

One Too Many
I just discovered that I can tumble with my washing machine in a 13 minute program so that's really cool. I can get my jackets wet then wear them a bit and tumble them to help break out the stiffness from the leather.

It doesn't add extra water or warm temperature like some tumble dry machines do so that won't damage the leather.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Any recommendations for smoothing out a bunch of stiff zippers? Working on some TLC for a jacket that was probably in a barn (very wrinkled, mildew smell, some mold, etc) and while the zippers work, there's a decent resistance when I try to zip any of the zippers up and down. Don't want to ignore it and end up breaking some teeth.
If it goes up and down but it needs some persuasion, a graphite pencil like @Will Zach mentioned will probably do the trick. If it feels like it's totally stuck, try rubbing with a toothbrush dipped in a mixture of lemon juice with salt (something I've learned from @ton312 )

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Hi folks! Back here after summer holidays. I just want to share this repair in this Talon. The damage was not much, but obviously in a way to being something worse. As you, I've seen zippers in better condition being replaced for this stupid problem, and the solution is so simple that offends.

This zipper is unstitched at the end, so it has been easier.
1662140876624.jpg

Taking a thin piece of fabric and gluing it above the area (from behind to the front, passing under the thread), and pressing with a pliers.
1662140876639.jpg

That's all. As last step, I spread fray check to stiffen the thread. Holy hand.
49880.jpg

This method wouldn't work when the insertion pin and thread are too ripped from each other. The only solution is trying to remove the pin, gluing a piece of fabric and reinstalling the pin again.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This Montgomery Ward came with a 21.5 inch back length which was too short for me to wear. As you can see the lining is longer than the back panel which to me suggests that the back has shrunken over time.

I tried my proved water-stretch method and was able to get an extra inch out of it. End result: a perfectly wearable jacket.

B4C8822F-8A34-4482-8F3F-FD404E87C86D.jpeg

6B2AE06B-2DBA-4444-8C81-163439D032C2.jpeg

Use a spray bottle and stretch the back panel up, let it dry while under tension.

48A84E19-5447-4C66-86FB-5E97FB626628.jpeg

15314811-038A-421B-B251-AB2C798CDF3F.jpeg

End result

CD2BC416-8360-42F5-96D6-0CCE72E70870.jpeg

newtojackets

Practically Family
Thinking of buying a jacket where the stitching on one of the sleeves has come apart. Is this a simple fix e.g. can handstitch, or is this problematic i.e. a sign that the loose stitiching is going to spread down the rest of the sleeve?
s-l1600.jpg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I believe that most jacket work is easy. However, sometimes there are items that must first be partly or completely removed in order to repair. Your sleeves might require some lining removal, but the repair is not hard at all. There are many videos in YouTube that demonstrate proper leather stitching.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I believe that most jacket work is easy. However, sometimes there are items that must first be partly or completely removed in order to repair. Your sleeves might require some lining removal, but the repair is not hard at all. There are many videos in YouTube that demonstrate proper leather stitching.
What makes you think the lining would need to be removed?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks! Back here after summer holidays. I just want to share this repair in this Talon. The damage was not much, but obviously in a way to being something worse. As you, I've seen zippers in better condition being replaced for this stupid problem, and the solution is so simple that offends.

This zipper is unstitched at the end, so it has been easier.
View attachment 448561

Taking a thin piece of fabric and gluing it above the area (from behind to the front, passing under the thread), and pressing with a pliers.
View attachment 448562

That's all. As last step, I spread fray check to stiffen the thread. Holy hand.
View attachment 448610

This method wouldn't work when the insertion pin and thread are too ripped from each other. The only solution is trying to remove the pin, gluing a piece of fabric and reinstalling the pin again.
I saved my zipper pin from replacement for 4 years now by superglue reinforcing the tape and then i cover/ sandwitch the section around the edge with a small piece of 3M clear tape while the superglue was still wet

barnabus

One Too Many
Thinking of buying a jacket where the stitching on one of the sleeves has come apart. Is this a simple fix e.g. can handstitch, or is this problematic i.e. a sign that the loose stitiching is going to spread down the rest of the sleeve? View attachment 478675

That's the exact jacket I've been watching for ages. I messaged the seller for measurements and it's too small for me, but while I was waiting for their reply I sent that photo to a local repairs/alterations place.

They quoted me £16 + post to repair the sleeve.

I've used them before to replace a zip on an old Hein Gericke and they do good work, so I'm inclined to accept that their price is representative.

(Also, watch out for sizing on this jacket. The seller said it's 51cm P2P)

newtojackets

Practically Family
That's the exact jacket I've been watching for ages. I messaged the seller for measurements and it's too small for me, but while I was waiting for their reply I sent that photo to a local repairs/alterations place.

They quoted me £16 + post to repair the sleeve.

I've used them before to replace a zip on an old Hein Gericke and they do good work, so I'm inclined to accept that their price is representative.

(Also, watch out for sizing on this jacket. The seller said it's 51cm P2P)
Nice! 51 cm P2P did seem slightly small as I'm usually 53ish (plus this is shearling lined, which makes me think it would be even tighter)? However, II'm usually a 38 and this is tagged a 40 so I reckon it may be worth giving it a try

barnabus

One Too Many
Nice! 51 cm P2P did seem slightly small as I'm usually 53ish (plus this is shearling lined, which makes me think it would be even tighter)? However, II'm usually a 38 and this is tagged a 40 so I reckon it may be worth giving it a try

Good luck!

I've come unstuck with vintage jacket sizing before. I'm a 39 and I've bought jackets sized at 40 that I just couldn't do up.

Also, in the photos I noticed that the tag size 40 is just written on to the tag. I asked the seller about this but they didn't answer that question.

I just discovered that I can tumble with my washing machine in a 13 minute program so that's really cool. I can get my jackets wet then wear them a bit and tumble them to help break out the stiffness from the leather.

It doesn't add extra water or warm temperature like some tumble dry machines do so that won't damage the leather.

I've tried that a few times but never got any substantial results but then again, the stuff I used it on was insanely heavy. I'll try it a few more times right now, if you say it really works.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Good luck!

I've come unstuck with vintage jacket sizing before. I'm a 39 and I've bought jackets sized at 40 that I just couldn't do up.

Also, in the photos I noticed that the tag size 40 is just written on to the tag. I asked the seller about this but they didn't answer that question.
Thanks! I think it's a 50/50, but I do like the jacket so I think it's worth the risk

willyto

One Too Many
I've tried that a few times but never got any substantial results but then again, the stuff I used it on was insanely heavy. I'll try it a few more times right now, if you say it really works.
I never tried it in the end. Couldn't be bothered. Specially because it means I'm paying money to break in my jackets so it's a big NO with current electricity prices...

I never tried it in the end. Couldn't be bothered. Specially because it means I'm paying money to break in my jackets so it's a big NO with current electricity prices...

I just have. Left a pair of leather pants spinning for one hour. I think it did help though not very much. Still, a couple more hours ought to make a difference but yeah, electricity is kinda high these days. . .

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Whenever i wash my jacket i just hang it on a suit hanger with wide shaped shoulder ends in front of standing fan for few hours from dripping wet to damp, then wear to dry. I live in the tropics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner