Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

cbez

One Too Many
I busted the lining a bit on my old a2, not sure if it's an old repair or not as the other side doesn't have a seam in that position.

Would it be viable to just throw a basic but ugly reinforcement stitch in there and keep wearing it?
20230601_131818.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
A coupe of weeks ago I found this Buco j82 on eBay. It obviously shows some wear but the seller told me the jacket was solid so I decided to take a flyer.

IMG_6328.jpeg

Overall the jacket turned out to be in good condition but the leather was dry and needed to be reconditioned.

IMG_5078.jpeg
IMG_5080.jpeg

The leather felt like sandpaper in places where the topcoat was worn off.

IMG_5086.jpeg
IMG_5087.jpeg

IMG_5088.jpeg

I could make the jacket look like new using Black Urad but this time I want to use colorless product only in order to preserve the wear / patina.

I start by applying a coat of Tenderly which softens and conditions the leather without making it feel greasy or sticky.

IMG_5093.jpeg

As you can see it darkens the leather. This is only temporarily, after a minute or 10 when the product is fully absorbed the leather will return back to its original color.

IMG_5094.jpeg

The leather now doesn't feel like sandpaper anymore. As a bonus it brought out some extra grain.

EEFEFC6E-E040-4ADF-9404-1A0D689EDCBB.jpeg

Before - after

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Needless to say I'm very pleased with the end result. The jacket smells fresh, deep wrinkles are gone and the horsehide has a nice sheen. Good to go for another 75 years.

Only thing that's missing is a belt so I think I'll have one reproduced. It looks a lot better with a belt imo.

View attachment 418515 View attachment 418516 View attachment 418517 View attachment 418518 View attachment 418519
It came out Perfect! Enjoyed reading the steps you took to get the final look.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I have a name cowhide jacket I got recently.

Part of the leather got wet recently, and where it dried I can see a very faint outline (the part that was wet is a slightly different shade to the rest of the jacket, and the part where the wet and dry parts meet has a grey-white tint). I tried to capture it in photos, but it’s not showing up on the camera.

What can I do to get rid of this whiteish tint? Should I do something to add some water resistance to the naked cowhide for next time?

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
I had one such loose thread on the back seam of a jacket.
I just tucked it in and it hasn't moved in like 3 years.
I can't even tell where it was at this point.
If you manage to put all the thread back in and it's tight enough it should stay put.

attack_decay

Familiar Face
So I've opened up the lining once more and found something I wasn't expecting: an elastic band! It has only come undone on one side so this actually looks like an easy fix.

View attachment 416237 View attachment 416239

Re attached:

View attachment 416235

I thought this would have done the trick... but unfortunately it didn't. As you can see the top part of the gusset is now pulled in but the bottom part is still bulging out :

View attachment 416240

I asked Greg for advice and it turns out he always installs two bands. So two bands it will be...

View attachment 416238 View attachment 416234

Broke a needle during the process... horsehide is though material.

View attachment 416233

View attachment 416232

End result...

View attachment 416231

As you can see the gussets don't look 100% clean yet, I think the leather will need to settle a bit. It certainly looks 10 times better than before.

View attachment 416236

Next up: replacing the main zip slider. To be continued...
I want to try this repair on one of my jackets. Do you have any information on the piece of elastic you used? Also what gauge of thread do you use for these repairs. I assume you're using a waxed thread?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
just picked up a vintage jacket. Although the colour is still very good on the whole, there are certain parts that look really dull, particularly in one of the forearms View attachment 487316 View attachment 487317

Would conditioner be enough or will I need some sort of dye? If it’s the latter is it worth trying or is it too risky?
Oh that is COOL!
You may already know this, but shoulder insignias are three tuning forks laid on top of each other and are the logo for Yamaha, which makes musical instruments as well as motorcycles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy