Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
great job at your restoration work, if by existing for many years witnessing many events in life a mere jacket can develop a soul then it must feel very happy too.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Great work @Marc mndt , I am not handy enough to completely restore my Kit like you did yours. I did give it Pecards treatment. I don't think the jacket has seen any treatment in 70 years, it drank it all up. Question to you and @ton312 - do you have (or know of) any data points as to how long the Urad surface treatment will last on a jacket?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Great work @Marc mndt , I am not handy enough to completely restore my Kit like you did yours. I did give it Pecards treatment. I don't think the jacket has seen any treatment in 70 years, it drank it all up. Question to you and @ton312 - do you have (or know of) any data points as to how long the Urad surface treatment will last on a jacket?
The high shine will wear off after a couple of wears. It tends to hold much longer (long lasting even) on those places on a jacket where the original topcoat was totally worn off. Probably because the leather really absorbs the urad at those spots.

Exactly what Marc said. I’ve been using the Urad dark brown on my stuff and while the shine is short lived, the pigment stays in areas where the top coat has vanished.

barnabus

One Too Many
Idle thought.

We see plenty of pictures here of amazing looking jackets, like Thedis or some of the Japanese makers, where we say the jacket has been "washed" or "tumbled" to achieve the wavy, wobbly, broken-in look.

Does anybody know what those processes actually are? I've washed plenty of leather jackets in my washing machine but nothing has ever come out looking like a Thedi!

I've got hold of a cheapo Perfecto clone that I'd be happy to experiment on, but not sure where to start.

This is the jacket. Thoughts?

IMG_20220522_093046766_HDR~2.jpg

Idle thought.

We see plenty of pictures here of amazing looking jackets, like Thedis or some of the Japanese makers, where we say the jacket has been "washed" or "tumbled" to achieve the wavy, wobbly, broken-in look.

Does anybody know what those processes actually are? I've washed plenty of leather jackets in my washing machine but nothing has ever come out looking like a Thedi!

I've got hold of a cheapo Perfecto clone that I'd be happy to experiment on, but not sure where to start.

View attachment 428604

You won't have any luck with this jacket. It's made in heavily processed, printed (corrected) leather. Printed leather like this has already went thru such an aggressively extreme tanning treatment that it barely even qualifies as an organic product at this point. Leather panels have been stripped of the outer layer (though it could've even started off as split-suede, too), it's been heat-pressed with artificial grain and then coated in plastic. Washing & tumbling will have no effect on this jacket. Acetone or alcohol can't even make a dent in the coating. There's just nothing to work with. Best you can hope for is rubbing off the finish but that's just damage.

Thedi jackets look good because they are made in good, full-grain, natural leather. Most of their hides are very raw, gently tanned so naturally, these jackets still do organically respond to the elements which change and shape them as times go by. That's what you pay for when you buy premium leather garment.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Idle thought.

View attachment 428604
Terry just posted a pic in what are you wearing today thread of his fine creek trucker that got accidentally wet and then spent some time in a dryer. You can see what it will do to leather that can evolve. You can search for the original post about it. Really transforms the jacket into instant vintage.

I've done it to several of my jackets. Sometimes starting off wet if they needed to come down a half size or so. Sometimes with just the air dry setting and a couple tennis balls if I'm trying to speed up a CXL break down.

Yesterday in fact I sprayed down my Lewis Leather Lightning and also a Thedi highway man style I have and then let them dry in the sun. You're basically "ageing" the jacket. It gets wet, gets exposed to the elements, etc. Basically like a motorcycle driver would do to it through out the day. Helps with creases, breaking in, taking off the shine, darkening, etc.

It's certainly not a look for everyone, but if you're trying to make your jacket look like it's getting a high number of wears, it definitely helps for those of us who have way too many jackets to every see their full potential.

A lot of the Schott jackets are washed and dried in industrial sized machines. Not sure the techniques, but it cant be that far off of what you can do at home in smaller batches.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Any recommendations for smoothing out a bunch of stiff zippers? Working on some TLC for a jacket that was probably in a barn (very wrinkled, mildew smell, some mold, etc) and while the zippers work, there's a decent resistance when I try to zip any of the zippers up and down. Don't want to ignore it and end up breaking some teeth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ