Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we like sodie pop? What do you like and what do you call it?

Novella

Practically Family
I grew up in California and it's soda all the way! Although hearing it called "pop" is natural since my parents say pop (they aren't from California). Coke definitely means Coca-Cola in my mind.

I rarely drink soda, but when I do I prefer root beer - rootbeer floats are the best. Oh, and it's Pepsi over Coke. My grandpa use to drive a truck that delievered Pepsi to stores so I grew up with Pepsi loyalties.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Growing up in California, I've always heard it referred to as "soda". My girlfriend, on the other hand, is from the Midwest. She calls it "pop". Imagine how many debates we get into over that. lol

I'm a bit of a soda junkie. There really is not one single soda I do not like. But if I had to choose, I'd go for A&W Root Beer, Cola, and Mountain Dew. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My mother used to give us flat Coke (she would add a little bit of sugar to remove the carbonation) when we had upset stomachs. It did settle my stomach, and to this day, when I am not feeling well, I will drink a glass of Coke. My mother also recalls buying Coke syrup for this ailment as well, in earlier years.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I've been a Coke drinker (no diet, no cherry, no caffeine-free, no vanilla, none of those funky variants) since I was two years old.
Me too! Well, maybe not since I was two but Coke is the drink of choice...plain old cold refreshing coke. When I was in college, I'd roll out of bed at 7:30, grab a coke out of the fridge, and head to my 8 a.m. It got so bad that I was drinking about a 12-pack every other day. I had to do a
de-tox on myself one summer to break the habit. lol

I grew up in south central Pa so everything was soda but when I went to school in western Pa, it was "pop." (silly western Pa) When I went to the south, I was informed that everything was coke and you had multiple varieties of coke, even if it was pepsi. No "pop" for me though, it's always soda. (although I started saying "subs" instead of "hogies" but that's a whole other word battle :p )

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's the real thing.

jitterbugdoll said:
My mother used to give us flat Coke (she would add a little bit of sugar to remove the carbonation) when we had upset stomachs. It did settle my stomach, and to this day, when I am not feeling well, I will drink a glass of Coke. My mother also recalls buying Coke syrup for this ailment as well, in earlier years.

Yeah, I remember this coke effect too. :beer: Seems to work somehow. Maybe it goes back to the time when coke really was "the real thing", when it actually contained cocaine. That would be enough to numb any tummy ache! lol

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Soda...

Growing up it was "pop" (which confused me because my dad called his dad "pop") and of course the flavor was Coke usually although I had a few Orange & Grape Crush. After joining the Military I started calling it Soda.

My favorite though had to be "Fizzies"(Original formula – grape, cherry, orange, punch, berry, lemon-lime, and Root Beer being the Best)...tablets that you dropped into water and watched it turn into Soda Pop.

Irena

One of the Regulars
Irena said:
I only like clear sodas, but I have to water them down quite a bit (two parts water to one part pop). As you can see, I use 'soda' and 'pop' interchangeably, whichever sounds right at the time.

I forgot there for a minute that I also drink bright red sodas. Red food coloring tastes wonderful to me, I don't know why.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
7up- uncola-high fructose corn syrup

I am a coke drinker. But I'm constantly lectured about all th artificial ingredients. I am a bit concerned that all th colas seem to have switched over to high fructose cornsyrop inthe last few years.

I was quite pleased to hear that 7up, was revamping & eliminating their artificial ingredients.
but it seems that this move is being contested:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/05/cspi_uncola.html

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
jitterbugdoll said:
My mother used to give us flat Coke (she would add a little bit of sugar to remove the carbonation) when we had upset stomachs.

We got warm 7-Up from my Grandmother and mother. Poor gramma. She was a hawkish neatnick. Everything scrubbed and polished (me too but I've given up the fight). For some odd reason, her refigerator stopped regulating properly, and the bottles of 7-Up (the only kind of pop she ever had on hand) began exploding in the fridge at random.

I still want warm 7-Up when I've got a Rumbletummy.

jdjs

Familiar Face
Here up north, we always called it pop - soda was what you used in baking (wth the notable exception of soda water!) We much of the same stuff as our American cousins (my favorite was still Kickapoo Joy Juice, which was marketed with Li'l Abner characters, and Tahiti Treat, an orange/cherry/passionfruit soda that was guaranteed to stain your tongue neon red). Even now, most people refer to them as pop cans and pop bottle, although soda is creeping in there (of course, it was a soda fountain, but it was a pop machine).

The best treat was lucazade, a high energy orange soda imported from the UK (of course, it never dawned on any of us that we could only get it at a local drug store - it was to restore energy and vitality; in hindsight, that could be why we didn't get it too often - she didn't need high energy kids).

However my mother (born and raised in Ireland in the 30s and 40s) still refers to any carbonated beverage as lemonade, even the cola flavoured ones!

Fred G.

Familiar Face
It's a coke or a col' drank

Growing up in the deep South, that's what we called any variation.

What's the deal that your average restaurant can't carry both Coke and Pepsi? I think the one phrase I have heard most in my life has been, "We don't have coke, is pepsi OK?" or the other way around...

And peanuts in your coke! A great snack. Nobody ever put peanuts in their bottle of pepsi...

Nehi had great flavors, grape, strawberry, and orange... Frosty and A&W made the best root beer... I still remember pulling up to the drive-in, and the girl would bring out the frosty mugs, she'd hang that tray right on your car glass...

There's another term-- we didn't have car windows, it was car glass. On occasional summer nights when we heard thunder, Mama would come to the foot of my bed and say, "Freddie, run outside and make sure the car glasses are rolled up, before it rains"...

That's for people without carports... oops, that's another word-- some folks have garages... But I digress...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jdjs said:
(my favorite was still Kickapoo Joy Juice, which was marketed with Li'l Abner characters ...
I want to thank you sincerely for introducing the term "Kickapoo Joy Juice" to my consciousness. I'd never heard it before, and I hope to never forget it. lol

What exactly does that stuff taste like? And who makes it: a band of Shmoos?

I can't believe that most people were not drink specific when mentioning their favorite cold drink. We never used a generic term like soda or pop. It was always 7UP, Root Beer, Cola, etc. You never asked for a generic soda because you never knew what you were going to get. You might get that nasty Fresca stuff instead of Cactus Cooler. :eek: [huh]

Regards,

J

Fred G.

Familiar Face
CHEE-Buger! CHEE-Buger! CHEE-Buger! I remember one episode where somebody asked for tea. "No tea, Pepsi!"

Customer: "I'll just have water"

"OK, tea"

I didn't mention a least-favorite carbonated drink: Mountain Dew... It's gotta a good name-- that's a slang term for moonshine. The bottler was pretty laid back in the early years, and some of the bottles were marked "Capped by Charlotte's young-uns" and other down-home expressions... but a col' drank with vegetable oil in it... not good...

I forgot to mention earlier, Purple Passion was good...

Sipping 7-Up was the upset belly remedy around my house. You had to just sip it, and it had to be ice-cold.

J.B.

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Heck, that phrase made John Belushi famous! (Remember the "Greek cheeseburger joint" skit on Saturday Night Live?)

Cheeburghie, cheeburghie, petsi, petsi!

No fry -- chip! :D

Say Marc -- bein' around Los Feliz an' all -- ever stop by Galco's -- the mother lode for soda luvvers in Los Angeles...?? Looks like they are in Highland Park?!

Growing up in the Missouri Ozarks in the '50's, my favorites were mostly now defunct "regionals" -- Vess Cola and Poll Parrot Soda, although I did and still do enjoy Royal Crown Cola over Coke and Pepsi...

...and drinking Big Red Soda is an absolute rite of childhood for every Texas kid! If you are not from Tejas -- click here to see what you've missed! I believe it's being distributed nationally now by the bottlers of R.C....

Oh, and here's lookin' at shmoo, kid!...

shmoo9av.jpg

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic