Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we like sodie pop? What do you like and what do you call it?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Let's see, first I grew up in Iowa and they called it "pop." A bottle of pop is what you would ask for. In Iowa a soda was an ice cream soda.

Then, I moved to New York City and it was "soda." If you asked for a bottle of pop in NYC, looked at you like you were from the Planet Claire. "Yuh put chir faddah in a boddle?" My best friend from NY drank chocolate egg creams and sometimes Yohoo, which was more a chocolate drink than a soda.

Later, I lived in San Diego, and some people said "soda" and some people said "pop." (Of course, half of Iowa lives there) Some folks said "soda pop."

Back in Iowa, I now say "soda" and just cannot switch back to pop.

I drink mostly diet pepsi, like vanilla. If my tummy is upset, I will drink coca-cola or, better still, 7-up or Sprite. (If I cannot hold down 7-up and saltine crackers, then I have no business eating anything.)

Don't drink much in a day, I can't stomach more than two of any kind of sodas in a day. Mostly drink ice tea, plain no lemon or sweetener in it.

Root beer tasted wonderful when I was a child, and so did 7-up. They took something out of the root beer that was considered carcinogenic and it never tasted the same. I don't know what they did to 7-up.

I also cannot stomach orange soda -- it makes me sick. I won't even tell you what I think Mountain Dew tastes like. Yech.

Just diet pepsi or a real coke. That is pretty much it for sodas these days.

karol

funneman

Practically Family
My dad would take me to Royal Castle

Hey Dixie, I remember that Royal Castle, it was right off the Palmetto Expressway! I think it burned down. That neighborhood got really rough. The last time I was there, I stayed in the car, BACKED into a space, with the doors locked and the engine running.

Siirous

One of the Regulars
I've either called it soda, or coke.

I'm a die hard Cherry-Coke drinker, but I've also recently found out about Reeds Ginger Brew. They brew their ginger ale from fresh ginger, lemons and spices. The bottom of their bottle has little bits of spice floating around it. They even carry a "Premium" Ginger brew with no fructose, sweetened only with honey and fresh pineapple.

I swear by the stuff, always settles my stomach. But everyone else has found the taste too potent. My father said his taste buds might never recover.

But if you like fresh ginger ale's, http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com is the best.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I was also born in Iowa and grew up calling it "pop".

I moved west to Washington state and it was still mostly "pop".

My friends from the east coast call it "soda".

My friends from the south call it "Coke".

And my friends who were born and grew up in traditional families in Texas call it "soda water".

Definitely one of those terms that varies by region!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I was born and raised in the midwest and it was pop. Coke/root beer floats were also ice cream sodas. Then we moved to Philly and I couldn't wait to say soda! I guess it's just the middle states that call it pop??

I love Diet Coke!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't drink soda anymore and don't miss it but do remember it as a real treat as a kid. In St. Louis we had the 6 ounch Cokes and 7 Ups like all over and a creme soda from a local bottler that was red in color. Can't remember the name.
Alcy.gif

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
Despite 3 years in the south around it being called coke and 15 years in the midwest surrounded by pop, I have faithfully stuck to calling it soda. I don't drink much soda anymore, it's too sweet for my taste. I usually prefer flavored and carbonated waters. When I do drink soda I tend to gravitate toward to non cola drinks but I do like the Berries and Cream Dr Pepper. I also love Ginger Beer, but only if it is has a strong ginger taste.

colleency

One of the Regulars
I was born in Michigan, where it's called pop. I was raised in California, where it's called soda.

I used to love soda, but in the past two years, I only drink it as a full dessert, and then only if it is made with cane sugar instead of hfcs. The cane sugar soda tastes SO much better.

Some of my old favorites:
Birch Beer (off an ice cream truck at the park around the Rose Bowl)
Vernor's (A MI specialty)
Rock and Rye (Also a MI favorite)
Rio Breeze (discontinued cinnamon-flavored cola)
A&W Rootbeer (but only on tap)
Aspen (apple soda)
Stewart's Orange Cream and Key Lime

clevispin

One of the Regulars
In this part of Virginia I hear "soda" or "coke". My folks are from Ohio so I've always said "pop".

Always start the day with a Camel & a Dr Pepper. Coffee - blech!

m

Baggers

Practically Family
Growing up in Texas, they were always referred to as "cokes" by my friends, but since my parents were from Ohio (they moved south after WW2 when my father became the local rep for the Miller Brewing Co.), at home I remember them being referred to by their brand names.

Growing up, I remember Coca Cola in the small glass bottles and oftentimes it being cold enough to have ice crystals in it when you popped the top after pulling it out of the vending machine with the glass door in the front. I remember the local brew, Dr. Pepper, along with K Orange, Grape Nehi, and Big Red. R.C. Cola (with a Moon Pie) was another biggie, along with Mountain Dew.

I recall tearing open a cellophane packet of salted peanuts and pouring them into my Coke, and I also drank Dr. Pepper served hot with a slice of lemon during the winter.

I drink only 7 Up these days, but I recently got a chance to renew my love affair with Dr. Pepper after finally buying a case produced by the only bottling plant left that still makes it with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar, located in Dublin Texas. WOW! That stuff goes down sooooo smooth. And you haven't experienced anything until you've had that "Dr. Pepper burp." It will cleanse your soul! :D

Cheers!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The cane sugar Dr. Pepper is the only one you can still do the Hot D.P. & Lemon drink. (You have to serve it with a slice of lemon on the top)

It just doesn't work with the corn syrup version.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
AtomicBlonde said:
I'm a diet Dr. Pepper aholic. I like diet root beer too.

In my neck of the woods, everything is called coke. If its carbonated, its a coke. "What do you want to drink, honey?" ..."I'd like a coke" ... "alright, what kind? we've got pepsi, mountain dew, etc etc"

doesnt matter the brand, the flavor.. its all coke. however, when I was about 12 I decided to start calling it soda, as some sort of rebellion against the way my parents spoke and said things. (I also lost most of my southern accent about this time too) my parents, and most people I know still refer to it ALL as coke.

-Jess
Wow, ok, so I know this was posted ages ago, but I had to post because I am exactly the same way! :) I've pretty much always called everything carbonated, Coke, even if it isn't. I'm not sure if it's an affectation or what, but I actually can't see it being because I've lived in both the Midwest and Southeast, and called it that ways both places. I've only noticed that in the Midwest people are more wont to call it soda, and on east coast it's known as pop.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
When I was younger, I was addicted to Coca-Cola. I didn't really like Pepsi or RC, but they'd do in a pinch. They were all "Cokes" even the Cokes made by Pepsi! When I say addicted, I'm not kidding. I would go through about a dozen a day. I'd have a Coke first thing in the morning, and I'd lay in bed drinking my last one of the day. Oh, and I kept an unopened Coke on the night stand in case I woke up thirsty during the night. If I ever ran out, I'd panic. Now, I'm forever grateful to the Coca-Cola company for curing me of my addiction. When these idots decided to change the flavor of the most successful softdrink, perhaps the most successful product of any kind, in history to give us "New Coke" it was all over. I couldn't stand the stuff. Yea, after a while they brought back what they claimed was the original, but it was sweetened with corn surp instead of sugar and to this day just doesn't taste right to me. Now, I'll drink some sort of soft drink once every couple of weeks or so. I prefer root beer or Dr. Pepper.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I can only drink diet soda because the regular kind gives me stomach cramps something fierce. In most of Indiana, it's called pop, but being the rebel I am I prefer to call it soda.

Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet 7Up or the Sprite Zero are all good. I cannot stand Diet Pepsi. When I was a kid, my grandmother would always buy Big Red for me...man I love that stuff. That is the only exception to my non-diet rule. I can taste it now...an ice cold glass of Big Red and ma-maw's tuna cakes. Mmmm....

Novella

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
I cannot stand Diet Pepsi.

Have you tried Diet Pepsi Jazz Strawberries and Cream though? I think it's the best diet soda I've ever tasted. I usually try to avoid fake sugar, but I was addicted to that drink last summer.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
soda or pop

used completely interchangably in my world. I'll have a diet berries and cream dr pepper please.

I cannot gag down coke, I loathe it. Usually a diet pepsi when I am in restaurants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot