Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we like sodie pop? What do you like and what do you call it?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I grew up in South Florida in the Sixties. We always had Coca-Cola in the house; the big 16 ouncers with caps that needed a chuch key. I remember when Coke switched to pop-off caps; like little hats on top of the bottle. Well before the twist off we know today.

My dad would take me to Royal Castle and buy me a huge frosty mug of Birch Beer to go with my sliders. Nobody out west knows what I'm talking about!

I found a Pop Shop in Scottsdale, Arizona that sells ALL the old soda-pops from days gone by. He has THREE kinds of Birch Beer! The shop is packed with everything from Nehi, Ginger Ales (like Vernor's, etc), and Ginger Beer. He's got every kind of Cola imaginable, as well as Cream Soda and Egg Cream.

If anyone has a favorite, he'll ship too! What's your favorite? What did you grow up with? What's the worst?

I'll post the address and website if anyone is interested. I'm not advertising for him - only if others would like to check it out!

What'ya want? A Soda, a Pop or a Tonic?

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
I grew up about the same time as you. We always had Coca-Cola too. Sun-Drop, Nehi grape and Buffalo ginger ale were others that we bought sometimes. The Buffalo ginger ale was a little too hot for a kid but I would drink a little bit of it. I buy Sun-Drop and Diet Coke now. It seems funny now but most people around here called them dopes when I was young.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Please Post That Bad Boy

I'm sure we'd like to see that site!

Here in my part of Ohio, it's pop. People "not from here" who say 'soda' seem uppity.

Dr. Pepper is my favorite.
Does anyone know what Moxie tasted like? I found a perfect Moxie bottle buried in my backyard with stuff from around 1900.

*back from Wikipedia* Wow! Still made!

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
I'm a diet Dr. Pepper aholic. I like diet root beer too.

In my neck of the woods, everything is called coke. If its carbonated, its a coke. "What do you want to drink, honey?" ..."I'd like a coke" ... "alright, what kind? we've got pepsi, mountain dew, etc etc"

doesnt matter the brand, the flavor.. its all coke. however, when I was about 12 I decided to start calling it soda, as some sort of rebellion against the way my parents spoke and said things. (I also lost most of my southern accent about this time too) my parents, and most people I know still refer to it ALL as coke.

-Jess

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I hear people calling it "soft drink" here. And soda. I haven't touched the stuff for over a decade. I drink carbonated water.

I don't know what Moxie tastes like. What's really silly is that Maine made it the official state drink, yet it's manufactured out of state!

I've also been off the stuff for a number of years (just can't find any without corn syrup).

My favourite when i was younger was Irn Bru. Bright orange, but doesn't taste of oranges. Truly an unique flavour. You buy it in 750 mL glasss bottles (the stuff from cans and plastic bottles just doesn't taste the same, somehow). I think it's only really popular in Scotland. I got my mother to bring me some over here and presented it to my lab mates. They were horrified.

The worst was Dr. Pepper. Hideous stuff.

I think it's called pop in Indiana.

We called it fizzy juice. And it wasn't allowed in the house.

bk

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been a Coke drinker (no diet, no cherry, no caffeine-free, no vanilla, none of those funky variants) since I was two years old. I was a colicky child, and the doctor told Ma to give me Coke syrup to settle my stomach. I've been hooked ever since.

We always called it "soda," but "pop" was used occasionally as well, especially for fruit flavors. Coke was soda, but Orange Crush was pop. I have no idea why.

Moxie is a world unto itself. To me, it tastes like cough syrup strained thru the sleeve of an old corduroy jacket, but there are those around here who won't drink anything else. I live about twenty minutes away from the birthplace of the inventor of Moxie, and every summer his legacy is celebrated with free samples for the tourists -- and it's great fun to watch their reactions!

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
My favourite when i was younger was Irn Bru. Bright orange, but doesn't taste of oranges.

I love that stuff! I got hooked on it in Scotland, and I miss it terribly. Just this weekend I found a store in my town that sells it! They sell a bunch of UK imports... so I picked up a flake and an Irn Bru. :) I gave my mom a taste and she thought it was putrid. Oh well, more for me! :)

-Jess

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I've always called it 'pop' although hubby calls it 'soda' and we grew up within fifty miles of each other.

I'm a Diet Pepsi addict. I recently found a new soda fountain variety of Dr. Pepper called Berries and Cream. GOOD stuff! (the Diet kind, of course, and you really can't even tell the difference).

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I go back and forth calling it either pop or soda.
My favorites are Sprite and Squirt...sometimes rootbeer, but that's usually saved for my ice cream floats ;)
My least favorite drink is orange soda, it will literally make me sick:(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
AtomicBlonde said:
I love that stuff! I got hooked on it in Scotland, and I miss it terribly. Just this weekend I found a store in my town that sells it! They sell a bunch of UK imports... so I picked up a flake and an Irn Bru. :) I gave my mom a taste and she thought it was putrid. Oh well, more for me! :)

-Jess

Irn Bru is the -best- stuff ever. I used to drink 2 liters a day while in the UK....

Be aware that the kind you find imported here...does not have the same ferric citrate (hence the made from girders!) level that the real stuff has, as its illegal to put it in food products here. The Irn Bru imported here is actually imported from Canada.

Tizer is also really good...

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Way on down he-uh...

in the deep south, we pretty much allude to all carbonated drinks as a "Coke." There may be an icebox full of carbonated drinks of many varieties but the universal question is usually "Would you like a Coke?" Older southerners say "Co-Cola." That's getting so passe' that I may be one of the few people left to carry on the "Co-Cola" tradition. It doesn't, however, raise nearly the eyebrows that "Soda" or "Pop" do. When I occasionally hear those words, usually in some establishment alongside an interstate highway, I figure their car has Michigan plates on it, or somesuch place. And, I'm usually right.:)

My long-dead grandmother used to talk about calling Co-Colas "dopes." When she was away in college in Virginia, they would put asprin in Co-Colas and re-seal the caps and hide them under their beds. The fermentation process after some days of warm weather produced a "dope." I gather it made one slightly drunk. It sounds as if it would taste nasty, however.

Rosie

One Too Many
We call it soda here, my friend from Chicago calls it pop, and calls me high falootin (spelling?) for calling it soda. My dad, who originally was from St. George, South Carolina always called it soda pop or sometimes, when company was about, soda water. I don't drink it very often, but when I do, it's Sprite for me.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am from a small town in Connecticut, though I now live in AZ, and my family has always called it soda. But I drink Coke, as Pepsi is too sweet!

Dixon, I believe you are talking about Pop The Soda Shop, which is an amazing place! I visit there whenever I have the chance :)

I highly recommend Peach Nehi (so crisp on a hot summer day), Dr. Pepper (made with sugar cane), and Whooppee Cocoa Cream (a chocolate soda.) I just checked their Web site though, and apparently they can no longer sell Dutch or Mexican Coke (both made with sugar cane instead of high fructose corn syrup) because “due to the threat of litigation from Coca-Cola, we will no longer sell Coca-Cola!” Figures:mad:

LizzieMaine, one of my swing dancing friends is from the same town as Moxie's inventor, and she told me that she and a friend spent one summer in high school forcing themselves to acquire a taste for the stuff. I have tried and can say that it does indeed taste like carbonated cough syrup. It is very much an acquired taste:rolleyes:

S

Samsa

I've been off my pop (which is what it's called in Michigan) habit for the last three or four months. (Trying to be more health conscious.) I used to drink Coke (regular, not diet) religiously; later I switched to Mountain Dew. I would drink three to five cans a day to stay awake at work. Other favorites are cream soda (A&W or IBC) and R.C. Cola (better than Coke I think).

The worst is any kind of diet pop.

Cobden

Practically Family
I usually call it a soft drink or just coke as a catch all phrase.
My favourite is a substance known as Tizer, which is pretty unheard of even here in the UK. Irn Bru I love too, as well as Dr Pepper and Cherry Coke. There was also something called "Green Cola", which as far as I can tell was only sold in one Happy Shopper in my hometown, which has since closed. I have very fond memory of Green Cola

Not keen on Coke itself, though

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Cobden said:
I usually call it a soft drink or just coke as a catch all phrase.
My favourite is a substance known as Tizer, which is pretty unheard of even here in the UK. Irn Bru I love too, as well as Dr Pepper and Cherry Coke. There was also something called "Green Cola", which as far as I can tell was only sold in one Happy Shopper in my hometown, which has since closed. I have very fond memory of Green Cola

Not keen on Coke itself, though

Mmmmm Tizer..... there is also Red Kola made by the Barr's folks, but you can only get it up in Scotland, in glass bottles.

We used to stock up on a trip, with the intent of making it back home, but 9 times out of 10 it was all drank by the time we got halfway through England again.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
POP The Soda Shop...

scotrace said:
I'm sure we'd like to see that site!

http://www.popsoda.com

See if they have your exotic bru!!!????

By the way your right, I'd forgotton, in South Florida everybody referred to it as 'Coke' too, no matter the brand. Over the years it just came to be known as 'Soft Drink'. I have to admit, I rarely touch any of it now as I can't take the 'sweetness' of any of it. But all this chatter makes me thirsty for a cold, frosty mug of Birch Beer again! -dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy