Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we like sodie pop? What do you like and what do you call it?

otterhound

One of the Regulars
Had a business associate in town (Dallas) earlier this month from the Boston area. At restaurants he would order "diet soda". This always confused the waiters because they didn't know whether he meant diet coke, sprite or Dr. Pepper.

Apparently in New England soda means Coke[huh]? What's the story you New Englanders?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
When I was a kid my favorite regional "coke" (that's what we called everyting soda related) was Mountain Dew. It was hard to get and made by a small company until Pepsi bought it. The only time we could get it was when we visited my grandparents in Arkansas. It was much better when it was made with sugar too.

When I lived in upstate New York the dairy farm at the bottom of our hill made Birch Root Beer from scratch. They sold it from the keg in their small store and it was the best soft drink I ever had.

Steve

Practically Family
I've tried swearing off soda altogether before to cut down on my sugar intake. I've laxed off a bit though, and now I live by a rule of not drinking what I can't see through. I'm down to Sprite or 7Up mostly, and for Americana's sake I might break down and have a root beer once a quarter.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jack Scorpion said:
Soda, only soda. You freaks.

AGREE! lol "Soft drink" is very common here too. My old roommate from Ohio called it pop. Nothing wrong with that except she said it kind of like "paaaap". Which ellicited much fun-making from us North Eastern types.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Steve said:
I've tried swearing off soda altogether before to cut down on my sugar intake. I've laxed off a bit though, and now I live by a rule of not drinking what I can't see through. I'm down to Sprite or 7Up mostly, and for Americana's sake I might break down and have a root beer once a quarter.

You must go diet. If you want to be healthy you shouldn't drink any soda, ever. But since that's tough, go diet. If you don't like diet soda, too bad. lol

(double post!! sorry)

Steve

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You must go diet. If you want to be healthy you shouldn't drink any soda, ever. But since that's tough, go diet. If you don't like diet soda, too bad. lol

(double post!! sorry)
Diet sode is worse than normal soda. I won't go into all the reasons, but let's just say I have strong reservations about it.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Down here, New Orleans, we normally use "Coke" or "cold drink" or just "a drink"

When someone asks if you want a drink? it usually refers to a soft drink, unless it's a bit of a social situation where alcohol is being served. In our house it's just "a drink" usually.

I was a heavy Coke drinker, but MrsRedPop4 is a diabetic and lives on Diet Coke, so that's where we are. I'll occasionally use Co-Cola.

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
RedPop4 said:
Down here, New Orleans, we normally use "Coke" or "cold drink" or just "a drink"

My daddy still says "cold drink." Its pretty much gone by the wayside here, unless its older folks... or my dad. :)
"Alright, lets go on in here and get us a cold drink and a pack of nabs."

Miss_Bella_Hell

Steve said:
Diet sode is worse than normal soda. I won't go into all the reasons, but let's just say I have strong reservations about it.

Because it's all chemicals? Well, according to my trusty <a href="http://www.cspinet.org/nah/">nutrition action newsletter</a>, it's better to drink diet than regular, but best not to drink any.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
otterhound said:
I remember that! [Coke syrup as a stomach remedy] What was that about? Do you think it was snake oil or do you think it actually helped?

Well, it always seemed to settle me down, so I think there had to be something to it. Ma would go up to the drug store and have the pharmacist fill up a prescription bottle with syrup from the fountain, and when I started to get stomach fuss, she'd give me a teaspoonful. Taken that way, I remember it as being really sweet and really bitter all at once, so maybe it worked thru systemic shock or something.

You can still find "Cola Syrup" in little bottles among the stomach remedies at the drug stores around here --I don't know if that's just a New England thing or not, or if it's common all over. But I don't know of anyone who actually still uses it for that purpose!

S

Samsa

LizzieMaine said:
You can still find "Cola Syrup" in little bottles among the stomach remedies at the drug stores around here --I don't know if that's just a New England thing or not, or if it's common all over. But I don't know of anyone who actually still uses it for that purpose!

Not too long ago our family physician suggested my sister take Cola syrup for nausea - and it actually worked. So I don't think it's just a New England thing.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I call it soda. I went to school with a fella who called it "sodie water" and that drove me batty. lol

My favorites are Dr. Pepper and plain old Coke. I also love most of the IBC flavors. In the summer, fruit punch, orange soda, grape soda, or cream soda are wonderful! RC Cola is another favorite. Not a big fan of the lemony citrus flavored sodas a la Squirt and whatnot.

I don't drink the diet stuff.

Tony in Tarzana

I think it was just "coke" when I was a kid. When we moved to Hawaii in 1970, the kids called it "soda" and I remember thinking that was odd. They also said "Rubbish" instead of "Trash," and that sounded old-fashioned to my ears.

OT: Does you or anyone you know say "Luncheon" instead of "Lunch"? That was a word I only saw in schoolbooks, and I never heard anybody use it (not in the context of an event, but just the way I would say "Had lunch yet?") until I was in my late 30s. The person who said "Luncheon" was a retired Foreign Service officer who had moved to Hawaii from DC or its environs.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Luncheon is a made up word, I can't remember the exact details but some posh ladies printing up some menus thought "lunch" sounded common so extended it, a similar thing caused Sparrow Grass to become Asparagus.

The original word is lunch, meaning lump (of bread, of meat, etc).

Zach R.

Practically Family
J.S.Udontknowme said:
I grew up about the same time as you. We always had Coca-Cola too. Sun-Drop, Nehi grape and Buffalo ginger ale were others that we bought sometimes. The Buffalo ginger ale was a little too hot for a kid but I would drink a little bit of it. I buy Sun-Drop and Diet Coke now. It seems funny now but most people around here called them dopes when I was young.

Sun-Drop is my lifeblood. :p

We're lucky that we can get it here in NC, we are one of the few that actually have it readily available.

Irena

One of the Regulars
I only like clear sodas, but I have to water them down quite a bit (two parts water to one part pop). As you can see, I use 'soda' and 'pop' interchangeably, whichever sounds right at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy