Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Consider Yourself To Be An Artist?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I'm fairly new here, but there appears to me to be a common "thread" (no pun intended) throughout the FL forum. I am an artist and was wondering how many of you consider yourselves to be an artist, whether as an occupation and/or as part of your personality? Most artistic people that I've come into contact with (me included) do not like to follow the "norm" of society.

It seems all through my life I've "bucked the system". The clothes I liked were never the ones that were in style at the time, my hobbies were not considered "in vogue", etc. etc. I feel I've finally come full circle in expressing my artistic personality by wearing vintage/vintage-inspired clothing. This was my last "conformity to society" to finally give up. I'm probably a little older than some of you, but I do admire the younger crowd that wear and collect the vintage stuff with no regard to public opinion. (I really want to wear my gloves and hats with my vintage clothing in public, but I'm still a little "chicken" to do that yet, but the day will come!) I admit, I grew up in a conservative home where "first impressions are very important" and you should not stand out from the crowd. And perhaps, society itself today is more accepting of individual styles than it was during the 60s and 70s.

I'm just curious how many artistic types we have here.

Finally free,

BonnieJean

I am an artist. I used to draw, mostly portraits, and even sold several, but not enough to make a living on. Now I use my artistic talents in my doll restoration, and clothing design. I do at at home since I am a SAHM.
I also come from an artistic family. My mother went to art school in NYC in the 1960's, and paints, my aunt used to draw and paint and my Grandfather did cartooning.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Embarrassed to say that I can draw and paint a little better than average, but don't. Pottery, sculpture, definitely all thumbs there. Decorative arts - mediocre at best. I have an eye for what works, but can't think up the idea in the first place. So, artistic? Can't lay claim to it. I'm kind of hoping for inspiration in later years, and I can potter about with my watercolours and charcoal recording the balmy, dusky, evenings. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The two degrees I have say Im an artist, but I still dont feel like one. I think thats a term that Ill get to use as I become seasoned in my craft.

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I am. Mostly in costuming, but I do on occassion paint and draw. I write terribly dark poetry when I'm really really upset. I wear what I want, I don't like answering to a system of rules in dress or like guidlines that serve no purpose in everyday life- but I'm a stickler for historical accuracy. I'm constantly annoyed at "society" and enjoy the company of many people who are do not let the norms dictate their thoughts or behaviours but at the same time I'm ruled my my morality and believe in good and evil. So artist, yes, different, yes, eccentric, yes- but scandelous- no :D

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yes, without a doubt.

Just look at this avatar.
I think it's only natural for creative persons to think for themselves, to not follow the crowd. It's at the core of our being.
So I must say in all honesty,..."society" sucks!
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, and thanks for giving me the oportunity to say that.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
Embarrassed to say that I can draw and paint a little better than average, but don't. Pottery, sculpture, definitely all thumbs there. Decorative arts - mediocre at best. I have an eye for what works, but can't think up the idea in the first place. So, artistic? Can't lay claim to it. I'm kind of hoping for inspiration in later years, and I can potter about with my watercolours and charcoal recording the balmy, dusky, evenings. :)

But what about the Loch Ness Monster impression you do? ;)
C'mon, don't ruminate, just do it!
Art is 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent perspiration. :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Lauren Henline said:
I am. Mostly in costuming, but I do on occassion paint and draw. I write terribly dark poetry when I'm really really upset. I wear what I want, I don't like answering to a system of rules in dress or like guidlines that serve no purpose in everyday life- but I'm a stickler for historical accuracy. I'm constantly annoyed at "society" and enjoy the company of many people who are do not let the norms dictate their thoughts or behaviours but at the same time I'm ruled my my morality and believe in good and evil. So artist, yes, different, yes, eccentric, yes- but scandelous- no :D

Today's "society" has a penchant for immorality and encourages the same in people. That is why you dislike it as much as the rest of us,...no?

Rosie

One Too Many
I have a BFA and MFA in Fine Arts. I draw, paint, ocassionally sculpt, sew, do calligraphy, make paper, etc.. I would say I'm artistic more than an artist but, I have been known to use that word to describe myself. Much like the rest of you, I'm an against the grain kind of girl. ;)

My next door neighbor and his harem of girlfriends are musicians. Just a few minutes ago, I was dancing in the backyard while hanging my clothes on the line wearing a 1950's muumuu and Nina Simone type headwrap on my head. My neighbors were playing their instruments and did an impromptu swing style medley for me. We're an artsy bunch alright lol.

oh, I make dolls too.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not me!...

I don't consider myself an artist, but it seems others do. I'm reasonably creative but I wouldn't say I'm an artist. I spent years as a commercial photographer -photographing art for commercial purposes - but I didn't consider my work art. But, again, others did.

It is a strange and subjective thing; I have a deep appreciation for truly creative and artistic people, but so much of what passes for art isn't art at all, but just pretentious constructions.

I spent a lot of time around "artists" during my time as a photographer and I found an interesting phenomenon; successful people who created "art" weren't artists, but just dabblers who had the wherewithall to indulge their creative urges. Artists of merit, or course, were those that were starving and struggling and hoping to obtain some government grant to place one of their pieces that no one would buy voluntarily. In their opinion it seemed, commercials success isn't artistic success - government sponsorship and taxpayer support is artistic success.

I'm glad I'm not an artist. I'm glad others like my simple and irrelivant creations.

-dixon cannon

Caledonia

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
But what about the Loch Ness Monster impression you do? ;)
C'mon, don't ruminate, just do it!
Art is 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent perspiration. :)

I admit, I hadn't considered Performance Art. I'll go sit in the pond for a while, chew on algae, ruminate, and let you know how it goes. :D

Rosie

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
but so much of what passes for art isn't art at all, but just pretentious constructions.

-dixon cannon

ah, but someone who considered themselves an artist would ask, what is art? The Dada movement comes to mind. :rolleyes:

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I'm a professional illustrator, animator and graphic designer.
My site: http://stovepipe.net/
My blog: http://stovepipedotnet.blogspot.com/
I started out as an illustrator, but during the 90's got caught up co-founding and running a graphic design firm.*After 11 years of being a frustrated artist I chucked it all to pursue something more personally fulfilling than corporate logos and annual reports. Since then I've been busy illustrating and animating, working at ADV Films in Houston as creative director, then in Austin, Texas for 2005 to animate on Richard Linklater's film "A Scanner Darkly".

Section10

One of the Regulars
I've come close, but I guess technically I'm still more of a craftsperson than an artist.
I write a lot, though. Poetry, stories, even some book length novels.
Sometime I'd like to discuss just what is art and why I don't exactly believe in it.;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Art is.

Any endeavor which involves creative, independent thought and skill.
Be it, writing, painting, photography,cooking, sewing, film making,...whatever, the list goes on, I think it's something we all have in common here. Whether some of us admit it or not, I think we are all artists in some way.

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
It's what I do for a living. I'm a portrait painter. My clients are mostly grey-haired men in blue suits. (Chairman of this, president of that.) My work is in public and private collections all over the country, and some abroad.

The closest I come to actually "looking like an artist" is wearing vintage clothing.

I remember going to an unveiling of one of my portraits and during the presentation dinner, a woman at the next table looking around the room and saying "I don't see anyone here who looks like an artist".

What does an artist look like anyway? Must he affect all black clothing, a ponytail, an earring, or tatoos? I found out a long time ago that the best thing the "artists" who affect that sort of costume do is look like artists,and their work doesn't look like much.;)

Mycroft

One Too Many
I am just a unique kind of guy with many odd talents, crafts, and skills. I make my own longbows, collect toy soldiers, and shine my own shoes to name a few. I draw and design furniture and men's accesories for fun (wallets and lighters mostly). I don't follow popular styles unless I like them, like Aviator sunglasses.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Flash Gordon said:
It's what I do for a living. I'm a portrait painter. My clients are mostly grey-haired men in blue suits. (Chairman of this, president of that.) My work is in public and private collections all over the country, and some abroad.

The closest I come to actually "looking like an artist" is wearing vintage clothing.

I remember going to an unveiling of one of my portraits and during the presentation dinner, a woman at the next table looking around the room and saying "I don't see anyone here who looks like an artist".

What does an artist look like anyway? Must he affect all black clothing, a ponytail, an earring, or tatoos? I found out a long time ago that the best thing the "artists" who affect that sort of costume do is look like artists,and their work doesn't look like much.;)

Good question. Maybe they think we should look like Vincent Van Gogh,...or Andy Warhol,... or my avatar??? :eek: A lot of people seem to view artists as being from some other species or something. Like we are aliens from another planet. But the fact is, there was a time when I was not an artist, that is, I did not know how to draw. I simply made the decision and took the time to learn. I tell people that they could learn it too if they really wanted to, but more often than not, they can't even imagine trying! :(

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think artists don't neccessarily have to create works of art on a constant basis. It's a way of thining and a way of art- art in words, thought, sight, or something you create.

With this said, I don't agree with the "artistic looking person". My friends who I consider artists or thinkers dress so very differently than each other because their style in internal, and they choose for themselves an outward representation of who they are based on their aesthetic preferences.

Like any group of people, there are those who wish to become part of a "group" and begin to dress as such. My favorite "artists" are those that move freely in many social circles because they don't need a clan to make themselves an artist. It is, however, a lovely thing to have a large accumilation of genuine people in one spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy