Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you eat vintage?

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
Imahomer said:
The closest I get to a vintage meal, is left overs.

lol
same here.

I'm a vegetarian, and it's a bit hard to find classic cookbooks with all veggie meals. (even though there have been vegetarians sense before the time of Christ)
am I just not looking hard enough?

Warbaby

One Too Many
Some of the things in our fridge definitely qualify as vintage... :eek:

Seriously, most of the stuff we eat would have been eaten in the golden era. We get our produce, eggs, chicken and pork from local farms. We don't use frozen foods, except for leftovers we freeze, and we don't buy prepared foods. Offhand, the only non-vintage items we eat that I can think of at the moment are salt & vinegar potato chips and some of our herbs and spices.

This is not for any vintage, dietary or ethical reasons - we just like stuff better that way.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Anachronism said:
lol
same here.

I'm a vegetarian, and it's a bit hard to find classic cookbooks with all veggie meals. (even though there have been vegetarians sense before the time of Christ)
I'm sure they're out there. I never really look for it, I like tempeh, seitan and tofu too much to be bothered.

These two are interesting:
http://www.oldnewark.com/memories/thirdward/bodianideal.htm

http://vegetariancuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/two_historic_vegetarian_main_course_recipes

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Anachronism said:
lol
same here.

Look for old Seventh Day Adventist cookbooks -- they were practicing vegetarianism for health reasons from the 19th century onward. I used to own a copy of one called "The New Cookery," published in the twenties, which someone had given my grandmother when she had to go on a low-fat, salt-free diet -- very old-school vegetarian stuff.

LordBest

Practically Family
I try to eat vintage when I can, not that I have any particular reason for doing so, I like what tastes good and is actual food, not factory produced imitation food.
Devilled kidneys (when I can find a butcher that will sell me kidneys), steak and kidney pie, soft boiled eggs, English breakfasts, fry ups, pork pies, crumbed brains etc.
A lot of the foods we eat in the West today are vintage somewhere, so tuck in.

Minerva

Familiar Face
I try to stick to what my ancestors would have eaten. It sits better on my stomach, I find. Well, except for the bananas ... I seem to have finally gone allergic to them!

That gives me a good assortment of foods to choose from, even if most of it isn't local to us right now. I'm hoping to fix the locality in the next year or so and get back to the tropics and get away from people who look at me funny for wanting lamb for dinner. Honestly, around here, if it doesn't come from a cow, people won't eat it. :rolleyes:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Must say I do love "Steak N Kidney Pudding", that unctious suet pastry!!!! there is a cafe in town called "The Brittania Coffee Lounge" and they make all that British "Puka" food, kedgeree, Pork pies, scotch eggs, and so on, must say I have to draw the line at "pigs trotters" and "Tripe".... smells like old socks being boiled in bleach!!:eek:

donCarlos

Practically Family
The oldest thing I´ve ever eaten was a can of something made in 2000. I ate it this July lol

I really don´t know what the author means by "eat vintage". Yes, I mostly eat the same things as my grandparents did and I hesitate to eat the world cuisine. (maybe except indian and arabian)

LordBest

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
Must say I do love "Steak N Kidney Pudding", that unctious suet pastry!!!! there is a cafe in town called "The Brittania Coffee Lounge" and they make all that British "Puka" food, kedgeree, Pork pies, scotch eggs, and so on, must say I have to draw the line at "pigs trotters" and "Tripe".... smells like old socks being boiled in bleach!!:eek:
I wish I had a place like that in my city, I have to make it all myself which is why I do not eat it as often as I would like. Give pig trotters a chance, in brawn form if nothing else.

I find that I have certain dishes that I really enjoy to make and serve and I think they go back a ways.

Red Chili with ground beef and lotsa beans.

I love to make spaghetti sauce so pasta and sauce are regulars on the dining room table.

Roasted meats- beef, pork and lamb.

Barbequeing- blessed with the weather we have in Southern California we can BBQ year round and cooking over fire seems to be an ancient style of cooking.

Hot dog fanatic.
Sausage enthsiast.
Fish N Chips- don't make them go to the British Pub where they are superb.

I need to make Benlese Fogle (SP) Boneless Birds a Danish rolled beef dish that is very similar to the German Rouladen. Something mom made the best.

Going back to the time of the French occupation- Vietnamese Pho Soup!
Wow! That is some good stuff, especially the Southern style with the extra vegies. (Also the Philipino Sinagong (Tamarind) soup!) Soups are big in my house too!

My guess is these all go back a ways so are relatively vintage.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, this morning I had Kelogg's Raisin Bran (1942), but I had it with Almond Milk. And Starbucks coffee. And then I had a whole wheat mini pita with almond butter. That stuff might be vintage on another continent... lol

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
One of the things I love to collect is cookbooks. I have a huge weakness for Golden Era cookbooks (especially depression-era Jello cookbooks) and often cook from them. I also love to bake using my grandmother's and great-grandmothers recipes. Besides golden era, I also like to cook over open fires using 18th century recipes. In those respects, we eat very vintage.

Josephine

One Too Many
I'm making creamed chipped beef on (on egg noodles) tonight. That's gotta be vintage. ;)

But as for name brand vintage, I'm not sure. I don't know if the brands I use go back that far. I use more the national brands as opposed to local, regional brands.

Erm, Crisco, Kellogg, Quaker, Rumford, Green Giant, Karo, Land O Lakes, Tabasco... all vintage! :D

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I make my own Boston Baked Beans from scratch, once you've tasted the real thing, you'll never eat the canned stuff unless you have to. It's the easiest, most forgiving recipe in the world. However, the only canned beans any self respecting New Englander will eat is B&M. I got the recipe and the beanpot from the Pot Shop of Boston www.potshopofboston.com. My wife makes her own fish chowder from scratch, with actual salt cod, yum! :D We've been trying to learn as many traditional New England recipies as possible, because so few people cook this way any more, and we don't want it to get lost in the homogenization of American cuisine; that, and we love it so much! :essen:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR