Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you eat vintage?

Sunny

One Too Many
nola89 said:
Yes sir. Spelled "muffuletta", it was invented right here in New Orleans at Central Grocery and don't let nobody tell you different.

Sunny, while I can't imagine Jason's Deli's version of the muffuletta being terribly different from the original, I'm terrified to find out what kind of bread they serve it on (the bread is almost always wrong elsewhere). :eek:
Hmm... actually, I can't remember. What is it supposed to be? :eek:

Emer

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
If you can get a hold of the 1932 Warner Brother's Vitaphone picture "TAXI" with James Cagney, there's a restaurant that this girl works at and it's a seafood place... have some neat shots of large aquariums in the place with trout swimmin' around.

Seafood was popular in those years... mostly in costal areas... but, lake fish has always been a staple for most people in most time periods! Lots of men liked to fish and bring home the catch for dinner.

To be truthful, that never even crossed my mind!

laurakitty

Familiar Face
I wish I could eat more vintage, but I have too many food allergies. When my step-grandmother went into a nursing home last year my grandfather gave me all of her cookbooks- there are around 100 dating from 1925 to 1963. I love looking at them, but it's hard for me to find dishes in them I can eat without changing. I've made some of them, subbing in other things for butter, etc, but that definitely makes them less vintage.

TheLimey

Familiar Face
My dad gave me the WWII british cook book years back. It's filled with recepies that they used in England during WWII. I'll post some of the recepies if anybody is intersted.
Some ingredients are hard to find though nowadays.

jayem

A-List Customer
We have a cookbook dating from the early 30s which my mom uses often. The book is amazing, and even teaches you how to build a root cellar, how to plan meals for a week on different money budgets, and even how to cook squirrel!

Often, my mom makes homemade bread using the recipes found in the bread section. I've made plenty of cookies and cakes from it, and they all turn out delicious.

My diet as of late has been very simple with proteins ruling the majority of my intake, which is pretty vintage. I stay away from most carbs and have been eating plenty of fish and wild rice.

Cricket

Practically Family
I am starting to get a craving for some good old fashioned skillet cornbread.
I think I will make some tonight to enjoy with a cold glass of milk.
There is just something about skillet cornbread. You can always pop some bread out of a can or box into the oven, but the skillet makes all the difference.
I keep my iron skillet on my stove range at all times. You never know when a craving such as this happens.

WWII Shortages

TheLimey said:
My dad gave me the WWII british cook book years back. It's filled with recepies that they used in England during WWII. I'll post some of the recepies if anybody is intersted. Some ingredients are hard to find though nowadays.
Made me think of something - my father was in the US Army and prior to the Normandy invasion his outfit the 99th Infantry Battalion was stationed in England. While they were there they receive strict orders that if invited to dine at the home of any local, they were to bring their own food as food was in such short supply. So many people today seem oblivious to the type of hardships endured by our parents and grandparents.

(The 99th entered France on June 21st,1944 thru Omaha Beach. Some two weeks after those brave soldiers were able to capture and create the beach head and begin to move inland on D-Day.)

Edward

Bartender
My paternal grandmother always used to talk about the wartime substitutes they used - mashed parsnips flavoured with banana essence was something she mentioned a lot, seems it was a favourite in the absence of the real thing. Certainly those of us who have grown up in the modern era with convenience foods, junk food, supermarkets and an enormous range of choice are very fortunate (if often less healthy for it!).

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Watching the Burns and Allen show last night (DVD) I noticed a commercial for Carnation condensed milk. Harry Von Zell, the announcer was going on about the recipe you could get for something called crispy tuna puffs. Sounded pretty good. Wish I knew were to get the recipe.

Rachael

A-List Customer
Vintage Cooking

I found these books in a bag set to be donated to charity. Thought I would share them before passing them along. I'll probably scan some pages too; one of the books has several tears so scanning would save the information if not the book itself.

PICT1103.jpg

PICT1109.jpg

I posted a few snaps of the inside pages on photobucket:
http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/cookbooks/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot