Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you eat vintage?

donCarlos

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Any idea what it was?
I think it was something like a beef, the can had no label.
I always remember some cans from the first explorers which they found in Antarctica - I heard that they were completely fine even after more than 80 years, so there shall be no problem with only a few years old "beef".

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Subvet642 said:
It doesn't get any more vintage than that! What kind of bread(s) do you bake? I make an Irish soda bread with golden raisins. Wicked easy!

I make plain old white bread but I have dabbled with whole wheat; it turned out pretty heavy duty. I plan to try a potato bread and light wheat bread soon. Any suggestions? :)

Additionally, for lunch I've been bringing a fine chunk of bread, braided spiced cheese, carrots and water. That's pretty old school, I think.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
It's been a long time since the last time it was used, but my family still has the hand-crank ice cream maker that my sibs and I used to take turns cranking. Never, EVER crank it backwards!

Lee

ShoreRoadLady said:
I don't consciously try to eat "vintage"; I like all the different foods we have today. Lots of things I like probably would've been "exotic" and expensive back in the Golden Era!
I hear that--Pad Thai and Mongolian beef woulda probably been problematic...

OTOH, speaking of vintage food anyone know of a source for original-recipe but fresh-canned C-rations other than just using Spam:gag:?

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Anakin's Betrayal
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
my sister left some filo dough in my freezer for about six years .... does that count? lol

and no I don't use it to make anything ... I should have though .. because that stuff is kinda expensive... when it was fresh, that is.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
I make plain old white bread but I have dabbled with whole wheat; it turned out pretty heavy duty. I plan to try a potato bread and light wheat bread soon. Any suggestions? :)

Additionally, for lunch I've been bringing a fine chunk of bread, braided spiced cheese, carrots and water. That's pretty old school, I think.

I've never made those, but I would use Russet potatoes for the potato bread because they are more starchy than new potatos, and will help hold it together. If you want, I can send you my soda bread recipe, just shoot me a PM.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Besides the basics, the only "vintage" I really eat (especially when I'm not at home), are from international cuisine. When I'm at my ex's house I eat a lot more vintage than normal (can anyone say delicious Mexican food cooked by a grandma? Yum!).

If I had the time and skills to cook a nice meal for myself, I would. Otherwise, it's Lean Cuisines and canned chili for me.

And Miss Neecerie, I am a fan of jello molds too! Don't be ashamed! ;)

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
I am a great fan of tinned fish kippers being a particular favorite,pork pies and rice pudding also provide a very nice vintage feed.Here area few more i regularly eat.Welsh rarebit.liver and onions, deviled kidneys,Spam,Carnation milk,champ,full English breakfast,fish and chips the list go"s on and on and on.I eat vintage.:D

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Yes, and it drives my family crazy

Yes, I do...Drives my family crazy because whenever possible, I buy the "vintage" brand...which sometimes requires shopping online. (As a vintage cookbook collector, so it just seemed to be the thing to do.)

Most recent vintage brand purchase: McNess seasonings and vanilla: cinnamon, "Sage Stuffing" seasoning, and "Pumpkin Pie" seasonings.

I'm also much more likely to eat out at a "vintage" establishment than a modern one if I'm choosing the place.

Edited to clarify that I do eat "modern" too; about 50/50 eating out, 60/40 (advantage: vintage) eating in.

Kifaru

New in Town
I bought my first house in Norfolk, VA in 1995. The house was built in 1951 and was one of those that were built for the returning GI's; two bedrooms, one bath, upstairs attic, big back yard, small porch. WHen I bought it, it came with the original gas stove! It was a huge Tappan number with big side warming ovens, the pilot light burned 24/7, etc. The best thing about it was it still had this little paper scroll thing on the backsplash controls that listed how long to cook certain dishes and at what temp setting. It listed things my grandmother would know how to cook but I could barely recognize. I had it for about a couple of years and it developed a little problem so I called out the gas repair guy. WHen he saw it, he almost ran out of the house. Told me that it had to go, it was an explosion waiting for a time to happen. :-(

So, nowadays, my vintage cooking is BBQ in the backyard, swapping beers over the back fence with the neighbors after we finished mowing our yards on a sunny weekend eve. (okay, one of both sunny days a year in the UK!) As an aside, I had a professor in university that maintained that air conditioning was spelled the death of the American neighborhood; with aircon, everybody goes inside, without, you bbq and gossip over the fences. I tend to think he was right...

dnjan

One Too Many
I grew up with a combo gas-cook stove. The right side had four burners and an oven (no pilot - just light a match and turn the burner on. When it came to lighting the oven with a match, it was a bit more exciting. Guess that is why both my father and grandfather did not have facial hair ...), while the left side was the cookstove that burned wood, corn cobs, etc. Since the cook stove provided the heat for the kitchen, it ran all day in winter. there was always a teakettle ofhot water on it.

Saurkraut cooked with a pork shank, soups for supper that started cooking right after noon, and major family get-togethers always called for a roast chicken (big roasting hen, not those little fryers).

Josephine

One Too Many
MEDIUMMYND said:
I am a great fan of tinned fish kippers being a particular favorite...

I love tinned kippers. I get Brunswick's Seafood Snacks, Kippered Herring. My youngest and I eat them together. She'll eat about anything; I'll never forget her sitting at a restaurant, her chin barely clearing the table, with the tentacle end of a baby calamari sicking out of her mouth as she chewed on the other end. :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Rachael said:
I will have to say that having been a child in the 70's with a mother who grew up in the 40's, I cannot stomach the idea of a jell-o mold. I swear sometimes she just threw things in without looking. carrots? pineapple? I think not. only thing one should add to jell-o is whipped cream

My dad makes jell-o with walnuts, cellery stems and shrimp.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR