Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a favorite vintage movie car?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
sweetfrancaise,

You might enjoy this photo album. I've got a whole "bucket" full of pictures I've saved as inspiration for my T project. I don't think I've got any with the scrawlings intact, but one of them originally had "Go Western HS" on the side. There's also a fellow on the Model T Ford Club of America message board who has about a 1915 T with well-preserved graffiti that he's keeping intact. Alas, I don't think I've got any pictures.

-Dave

Wow, thanks for the link! Those pictures are fun, 'specially the snow mobile--I've never seen anything like it! Back on topic, does someone know any movies that this type of car appears in?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
"Jake Speed" is probably too new a movie to include HARV (his Willys Jeep).
I'll say the Black Beauty from the Green Hornet serials. They actually made a cool car for him whereas Batman go got some old convertible to change in instead of a decent Batmobile in the serials.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Edward

Bartender
Christine!

christine.gif

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I wish I had a better picture, but Constance Bennett's 1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II/Town Car, which is a part of the Nethercutt Collection in Sylmar, Ca., is my favorite vintage movie car. This picture was taken at the collection. (Photography is allowed at the museum, but not at San Sylmar.)

Constance Bennett paid $17,000 dollars for the car in 1936. That's a hefty sum for a second-hand car. It'd been rebodied by Brewster for the 1936 New York Auto Show. She saw it there, bought it and had it shipped to her estate in Los Angeles.

She'd rent the car to movie studios for $250.00 a day. It was joked that the car received more salary than many players. It was in a picture with Carol Lombard for three weeks of filming.

By the way, who would be up to a tour of The Nethercutt Collection some Saturday soon? I haven't been there in a couple years and would like to go again soon. Might as well make it a group outing. Admission is always free, but we'd need a reservation. Should I start a thread in Events?

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has always been a favorite, too. :)

Lee

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not a movie care, but.......

.......the Volvo P1800 that the Saint drove was pretty cool.

saint01-520x479.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Bonnie and Clyde must have the greatest assortment of makes of '20s-'30s cars in any movie, in addition to the plentiful supply of Fords, Chevys and such.

How often do you even HEAR about, let alone see, a 1932 Nash?
velmacr.jpg
vcar1.jpg

Or a '34 Hupp Aerodynamic? (A Raymond Loewy design, btw!)
lawscr.jpg
34hup2x.jpg

Or a '29 Graham-Paige?
5car.jpg
gpb.jpg

Slightly more common but a beauty nonetheless is the "Not-Yet-Ready-For-Death Car," a '34 Dodge four-door.
12car1.jpg

It's later seen with cowl lamps and police shields.
dodge2x.jpg

It helps that none of the cars are obvious show queens condition wise. My hunch is that this was early enough (1966) that the filmmakers were buying the cars themselves out of lots and garages and such, rather than hiring a car club or movie car outfit as you would typically do today.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Bonnie and Clyde must have the greatest assortment of makes of '20s-'30s cars in any movie, in addition to the plentiful supply of Fords, Chevys and such.

My husband got to drive the "death car" from the 1967 movie as he played Clyde at last year's Bonnie and Clyde festival.

Bobambush.jpg

22-1.jpg

It has now been loaned out to The National Museum of Crime & Punishment --opening March 2008. www.crimemuseum.org
I don't know what we'll use this year?

Now my favorite movie car is....the best movie of all time...

you got it: GREASE!!!
ScreenHunter_01Jan141057.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Jan141058.jpg

Blackjack

One Too Many
Christine!

Christine is parked (and I believe for sale this year) a few miles from where i live at the Volo Auto Museum in Illinois. Along with the Batmobile, the Dragula, Matt Helms station wagon, even the Car 54 Where Are You squad are just a few of the hundreds of cars they have there. I wish they had the Shadow Taxi...
http://volocars.com/attractions.html

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
Christine!

Christine is parked (and I believe for sale this year) a few miles from where i live at the Volo Auto Museum in Illinois. Along with the Batmobile, the Dragula, Matt Helms station wagon, even the Car 54 Where Are You squad are just a few of the hundreds of cars they have there. I wish they had the Shadow Taxi...
http://volocars.com/attractions.html

sure would love to own Christine...
grease.jpg

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
Not Golden Era...

My first car was a '68 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hardtop. I joined a Chrysler products club as a result, and one day we got a caravan together, drove 100 miles, and saw in a theater the world's last screenable copy of 1971's Vanishing Point, starring Barry Newman and an Alpine White 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T.

cVanishingPoint.jpg

I was RIVETED. It wasn't because it was cool, the movie wasn't supposed to be cool(although ask anyone and they'll say it is...), it was a social commentary with an unusual delivery, a delivery that most couldn't grasp. The scenes with the JB Pickers' Freedom of Expression wailing in my ears along with a wrung-out 440 backed by a pistol-gripped 4-speed, Highway 80 and all of its stark scenery whipping by, amazing camera work all combined to blow my mind. I've wanted to roar across the Nevada desert on I-80 with acid rock blaring in my ears ever since.

IMG_4613.jpg

...now you can't get a Challenger of any ilk for under 40 grand. I should have bought the one I saw 10 years ago for $1200.

oh i could not agree more...

RIOT

Practically Family
Frankenstein's flesh eating car from Deathrace 2000 & John Abernathy III's '32 Highboy from Hot Rod Gang get my votes.

As well as all the gow jobs from Giant Gila Monster & The Choppers.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I always liked...

...the 59 Cadillac Hearse from Harold and Maude (if you can't picture this, it is the same model as the Ghostbuster's hearse).

I also love my movie car, Elvira... I sure do miss that car. I don't miss the 13 miles per gallon, however!

Here is my car in the trailer:

http://www.carpetkingdommovie.com/trailer.html

My car is the hearse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy