Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a man room/study

shortbow

Practically Family
My whole house is a manroom/study. I occasionally will look up and see it thru the eyes of someone not used to it and kinda smile. I get away with it because I'm now a bachelor. Everywhere is tools, guns, bows, Indian arts and crafts, leather, tobacco stuff, books, woodstove, outdoor art etc etc etc. Someday if I can put it together I'll put up some pics. Looks more like an old hunter's cabin than anything else, and one who was not too fussy on keeping things clean and neat.lol

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
In the US there tends to be an underlying concept that the woman is in charge of and runs the house as the hausfrau. She is in charge of decorating all of the other rooms in the home and gets to make them the way she wants them to be. The only consession is to the home theater.

With this as the common approach in the US, men feel that the house is HERS so we need to be able to retreat to OUR room. If we don't have a room in the house we get an area in the basement or the garage.

That's an accurate statement if I ever saw one. :eusa_doh:

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
This is a very old photo, but it sort of gives the idea...

I don't have a man's room. I have a man's building.

Sleeping.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I have one and a half man rooms.

My actual office/study:

391944514.jpg

391944513.jpg

And a part of the garage that is my reloading ammunition, cleaning guns, cleaning and freezing game area.

391944512.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Is that Fallow deer stuff? You got them over there? I kilt a few years ago at a place called Sidney Island off the coast of Vancouver Island where they'd been feral for a hundred years, there were some tremendous heads there. Beautiful animals. BTW, I really like that type of skull mount, much prefer them to full heads.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thanks shortbow!

Most of the skulls, heads, etc are from axis/chital deer. They are from India/South Asia originally and were imported to Hawaii back in the 1860s or so. Texas also has a large number of them as well. I love hunting them since its spot and stalk free range here in Hawaii. The "larger" 4x4 is a small red stag I got in the French Pyranees a few years ago.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Mav said:
The house is too small for a full room, but I've got a chunk off of the foyer that is a combo office, meditation space, gun and musical instrument storage, bookcase for esoteric/ reference texts, etc.. Decorated in somewhere along the lines of late Victorian gent's study. It looks like hell right now and it's not quite finished yet. I really need to clean it and finish it off.

So, tell us more about the meditation space

Do you sit at a chair and ponder the day or is it more a cushion, incense, "oohmmm" type of meditation? And yes, I am serious, not taking "the micky"

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Here's a short clip from the TV programme The Story of Science about the study of B F Skinner an early pioneer of psychology. I love his "sleeping pod"

[video=youtube;Px8JRMUQct0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px8JRMUQct0[/video]

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
Rather timely that this thread has come up again. I'm lucky to currently have a library and now I am getting one of the spare bedrooms for a "war" room for my toy soldiers and other related items.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've been working on a "man room" of sorts for the last year or so. When we added onto the house last summer, we created new section of unused foundation and a new porch that extended over what used to be our yard. We soon discovered the area under the porch would no longer grow grass, so I claimed it for a new party deck. We wanted a place where we could have oyster roasts and fish fries and generally entertain outdoors. In keeping with oysters and fish idea, we decided that we would try to create the look of an old commercial boathouse and dock...the sort of thing that used to be common here on the river fifty years ago. A contractor poured concrete under the porch and foundation, and he stained and stamped it to look like old wood. The rest, Jackie and I and some friends did.

Here's the new deck. The metal fish sign in the second photo was made by an artist friend of mine. He cut it out with a plasma cutter.

0831131733a_zpsd7e980fb.jpg

0520131849_zpsa0b4cee9.jpg

I got this old McCulloch Chain Saws sign off of a tobacco barn thirty years ago and it was old then. I'm happy to have finally found a use for it.

0831131735_zps22d7b303.jpg

Some of these signs are vintage and some are reproduction. The Red Dot Cigar sign, The Scout sign, the Sprite sign and the Blatz signs are all real...and the Blatz sign still lights up!

0831131742_zpsf3a71090.jpg

I made a rod cabinet and mounted it inside for my salt water gear. It looks small in this photo, but it actually measures four feet by eight feet.

0831131738_zps64b04ccb.jpg

0831131739_zpsfbdc2148.jpg

...my cookers and steamers...and my grandkid's baseball and softball stuff.

0831131740_zps1a9cafe9.jpg

...an old propeller from one of my boats.

0831131736a_zps1c998b48.jpg

And the most important thing...a vintage beverage opener.

0831131737a_zpsa187b74e.jpg

AF

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Moved into our 'new' house and marked out my territory. :D There is a mix of original, reproduction, and a very few airsoft items but the large majority of what is shown is original. Some of the pics aren't great, the lighting wasn't the best and shooting items behind glass is tough. I'll be getting curtains up shortly to protect the items from sun damage.

Enjoy. Click images to enlarge.

View upon entry.

Not 100% historically accurate but provides a good idea of how a GI would have been outfitted in Normandy in July, 1944. His HBT pants and shirt are repros that were used in the filming of "Saving Private Ryan". My bar is in that little cabinet on the left and a refrigerator to the left of that.

The Great White Fleet.

Top is a 'last ditch' Japanese bayonet, middle is a '43 dated German bayonet, and the bottom is a battle damaged WW1 German sawback bayonet that is unit marked.

The 'coffee table'. I normally have plexiglas on top to protect the finish.

Last edited:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up

My great-grandpa's WW1 helmet.

An original USAAF photo. Here's the story on this photo: the front bomber was hit by flak and the mortally wounded bombardier prematurely released his bombs.

Airsoft.

Three official USAAF photos from a set of five: P-38 making low passes. All marked "not for publication" on the back.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up

The helmet cover is a reproduction that was used in the filming of "Saving Private Ryan".

If you want to see anything up close, just let me know.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I have a "study." It's where I keep most of my books and writing stuff and some mementos. However, I do most of my reading elsewhere and often address cards etc in other rooms too.

And that is a mighty impressive militaria collection, ThunderW21.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
mine used to be called the " Music Room ", where of course I kept my guitars, saxophone and keyboard. Now it also houses my shoes and clothes.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here is proof that adding a Man Cave to a house can transform it from being a bland place where people sleep and eat...to being a home were people can really live.

Here's my house immediately after our contractor finished the little addition we did two years ago...and the same view after I completed my man cave and party deck.

house2_zps7dbb4347.jpg

house1_zpsb3747e50.jpg

AF

Renault

One Too Many
Here is my work in progress. I "inherited" this building (along with the payments) from a child. So it will be my new lodge. It's on the back of my place where I trap the wild pigs. Even tho I have a small window unit in it now, I'm really waiting on a littler cooler weather that the 100F+ days we have been having to start back to work. (did some insulation last weekend and it was murder!!!).

I plan on a fully stocked, old time bar. Lounging and storytelling room with lots of books and shelves for 40 years of accumulated "relics". Sleeping loft and a guest room with ample privacy. And a place for all my mounts.

rjb1

Practically Family
I think the first big question is: Are you married? If yes, then you can have a "man-room-study". If the answer is no, then you can have a man-house-shop-garage-basement-driveway. (not married, so I have all the above)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn