Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a set beauty routine?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree. Mine right now is colored, but that's just because I picked up whatever the shop had with the old packaging. I'd prefer translucent.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I also prefer the Translucent (not the extra coverage one). I really don't have any complaints about it whatsoever! :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I use the translucent extra coverage, because most days I don't wear any foundation. I find that it does add some color, but not too much.

If I'm wearing BE foundation or a tinted moisturizer, I use the regular translucent. That's also what I keep in all my vintage compacts.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
lol You're right, it's just wretched. Putting foul tasting chemicals on your mouth to keep your lipstick on... oh! L'amour, l'amour, how it can get you down... lol

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
on a hair washing day

get up
stagger to big chair
watch court tv, drink green tea and read email while i wake up
couple of hours later
take bath, wash hair by laying down in bathtub, fall asleep again, wake up again, rinse with one of those shower doohickies. use pond's cold cream on eyes to take off residual make-up. wash fash with water and wash cloth (soap only a couple of times a week, soft neutrogena)

out of tub. dry bangs. the rest of my hair, add some kind of gunk don't care and scrunch

get dressed - black jeans, usually black shirt - vintage jacket, red sneakers

grab make-up bag head out door

stop at del taco for diet coke, macho, if long line of cars ahead of me put on eye liner (raisin or green colour) and curl eyelashes (short line skip the eyeliner - wait until after get to work)

get on freeway - long straight area - put on foundation - bare minerals extra light with spongey thing or big brush, wipe powdery stuff off my jeans

blush - - forget the brand, another powdery thing in a little jar, use different brush - wipe powdery stuff off my black jeans

eyeshadow darkish purple - ring finger of right hand on top of eyes, blend

(lookin pretty good according to the trucker next to me)

mascara -cover girl waterproof black in the green tube - NEVER COMES OFF until cold cream days

get off freeway - get into slow lane to make turn - add eyeshadow with little sponge under eyes - going for that smokey look

lip colour - some dark mocha colour with a lip brush, with red gloss on top.

arrive work - if hair dried ok, leave down, if the sides droop and make me look old and tired put into a low ponytail. if i am on assignment hair in ponytail.

comb eyelashes with little metal comb - too dangerous to do on the road.

voila. done. and nobody thinks i have done a thing - until i show up for work with nothing on my face and folks think i am sick.

rsg

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
My skin probably would, but I'd kill the rest of you so no one would see it.

I'm lucky I don't look my age, smoking or not.

you would only want to kill us for about two weeks.

my mom's mouth looked like a smoker's mouth so she had something done - didn't work.

then i started to get a few wrinkles around my mouth and i didn't smoke so i asked her why i was getting them. she said because you chew gum and whistle. i've pretty much stopped chewing gum but the whistling habit is hard to break!

rsg

Avalon

A-List Customer
New girl alert

Hi kids! I just joined, mostly for the Powder Room. There is so much wonderful stuff in here! :D

Here's mine:

Morning:

Splash face with cool water.
Pop in contacts.
Apply foundation (usually Maybelline Dream Matte in #1 Porcelain Ivory) with brush.
Use concealer on marks / under eyes (BareMinerals Bisque and Well-Rested)
Dust face with powder (Coty Airspun in Translucent ♥)
Blush on apples of cheeks (NYC Color Wheel in Pink)
Apply eyeliner, on top outer lids only (NYC Liquid Eyeliner in Jet Black)
Curl lashes and use two coats of mascara, on top lashes only (Maybelline Full & Soft in Very Black)
Put on lipstick (NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear in Retro Red)
Take hair out of braids (I sleep in pigtails!) and either comb out / put up / whatever.
Spritz neck, wrists, and other places [;)] with perfume (Lavendertheraphy by The Healing Garden )

Evening:

Take off makeup (Noxzema - I use baby oil to get the waterproof eye makeup off)
Bathe / shower / wash hair (Fructis shampoo / Pantene conditioner / Palmolive soap)
Moisturize face / body (CVS baby lotion--smells SO good)
Chapstick

My morning routine takes about 15 minutes, my nighttime one a bit less. I highly recommend NYC cosmetics - amazing quality for a drugstore brand, and rarely above $1.99!

Nice to meetcha :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
I am not a morning person!

And to be honest, I really don't like wearing make-up.

But, when I do, my routine is:

-Hubby drags me out of bed (sometimes kicking and screaming)
-sit in bed for a few minutes until things come into focus...watch the morning news until hubby's out of the shower
-hop in the shower (not literally, I'd probably injure myself!); depending on the day, shampoo my hair (I do this about every other day - my hair doesn't get greasy and it makes my color last longer) and apply my Radiant Red hair masque (LOVE this stuff!)
-Rinse, get out of shower, and dry off.
-Get dressed in whatever I can find that's clean and suitable for work (I don't have a vintage wardrobe...yet...hehe)
-dry my hair, which is the most time-consuming part of getting ready. My hair is so thick that it takes forever to dry!
-floss/brush teeth, etc.
-apply Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer w/SPF 15. Love this stuff, too.

If I'm feeling awake:
-apply Bare Minerals as my concealer and foundation (this stuff is sent from Heaven!)
-apply cream/light brown eye shadow (no idea what brand...something most people would shudder to think of wearing, I'm sure)
-apply brown mascara to upper lashes only; declump with little brush thingy
-apply a light swipe of Burts Bees Lip Shimmer in Cocoa.

If it's the weekend, and I'm feeling a little punky, I'll swap the brown mascara for my pink mascara.

And I hardly ever wash my face - I hate it, it's such a chore...on the occasion that I do, it's just Dove non-scented soap for sensitive skin and water.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I LOVE talking about makeup!!!
(1) HOT TEA.
(2) Wash face with neutrogena gel cleanser, witch hazel astringent, followed by moisturizer (with SPF, of course! have to keep that fair complexion!) At night I do a honey mask which, according to my Indian friend, purifies and softens his Indian sisters' skin and makes it glow...vinegar also serves as a great astringent for you natural-fanatics like me
(3)concealer (still in the acne stage of life...ugh), foundation, and covergirl powder in porcelaine...although this coty stuff sounds fabulous!
(4) Lanc?¥me blush in Apricot...the most wonderful, long-lasting blush ever
(5) Eyebrows--Maybelline in Auburn
(6) revlon skinlights eye cream--peach on lids, the shimmery gold pumpkin and bronzy brown in crease
(7)brown suede eyeliner, with an upward cat-eye edge (ooooof course!)
(8) curl lashes, then any kind of dark brown lash-extension mascara
(9) Lanc?¥me lasting lipwear in "Flash" or this beautiful burnt red-orange lipstick....so hot! :)
(10) hair, clothes, accessories (always) and my French rose perfume...it has such a vintage, romantic, feminine scent (I'm not a snob, just a French major and love all things Gaul)
(11) Clich?©, but smile. ;) and maybe one more cup of tea to be able to do so.....

Don't you just love being a girl?

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I shower and set my hair at night, and it depends if I will wash it out or not. (Usually when it feels like there's just TOO much leftover product in my hair. Mostly I just rinse my hair under the shower)

In the morning:
1: Wash face with Checks+Balances face wash or Never a DUll Moment face wash. Depending on the day, Modern Friction Scrub. Apply A Perfect World hydrating tonic. Apply Plantidote face serum and A Perfect World Skin guardian. Moisturize with A Perfect World moisturuzer. (Yeah all this stuff is from Origins lol)

2: Un wind hair from rollers, mist with water in a spray bottle if there is a lot of frizziness. Add some extra setting lotion and some mouse to keep shape. Style set curls in front into pompadour-style. Since I am inexperienced with the back, I'll put it up, and if the waviness is acting nice, leave as is. Spritz lightly with hairspray.

3: Apply Stay Tuned foundation w/foundation brush. Dot concealer on blemishes, and under eyes, and blend. Apply All+Nothing sheer powder. Apply Ginger Snap or Benefit's Dallas blush. Apply autmagically eyelining pencil in Fudge to upper eyelids, apply No-Show Taupe eyeshadow all over (lids and browbone), apply a brown shade on crease, add Twinkle eyeshadow for a touch of shimmer to brow bone, and then black mascara. Last but not least, line lips with red liner, and apply Poppy lipstick or my infamous Wet N Wild #905 lipstick. (Yea all that's form Origins too hehe. Except the W+W and Benefit of course ;) )

4: Get dressed for work! (Black pants and tshirt. Booo.) Or if it's a day off, wear a "crisp" looking outfit. :p

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Speaking of Origins.... I am addicted to Never Say Dry for my anti-winter wind-burn usage! It eats wind-burn dryness alive :rage: !

:)

Elaina

One Too Many
You know, reading all this makes me forget I do other things too.

Brush teeth, find glasses under the cat, or drop in eyedrops because I am the world's worst at taking contacts out (I have disposables, which you're supposed to take out every day, and pop in every morning, toss after 30 days. Yeah, right. I think I finally took out my last pair after 4 months, and my doctor is punishing me by not renewing my prescription for another month. "Your eyes need a rest" he said, "I don't like you wearing contacts that long" blah. In truth, I have some medication that makes my eyes too sensitive to light and contacts made it unbearable. He used it as an excuse.:rolleyes: )

I don't go through the whole slathering lotion on hands/body/feet and wearing gloves and socks for hours, or the pumice stones on the tootsies, or the 3 week appointment for nails (when I go, I've been lax about my nails), the at home wax, the face masks, the hair care, the trips to the gym, the eyebrow upkeep, the additional health care for the corset (trust me, there's a ton involved with keeping the skin healthy)...you get the idea. I hate make-up, I'd love to be a man. All they have to do is drag out of bed and go. Grow a beard, don't shave.

wibblebird

New in Town
Another Non-Vintage ROutine

When I tried vintage-i-fying (cold cream or soap, witch hazel,etc) , I ended up with mucho acne. I need the chemical exfoliants and benzoyl peroxide! So, I went back to modern times:

Morning
1. Shower, brush teeth, hair wash & condition every day (oily skin, oily hair)
2. Face: Proactiv cleanser or Paula's Choice Skin balancing cleanser plus a tablespoon of baking soda for exfoliating. Followed by 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid lotion (Paula's Choice) and 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide (either Proactiv or acne.org). Paula's Choice SKin Balancing Moisture gel (just eye area & neck if particularly oily day)
3. If acne-ridden day, I concel with Paula's Choice, the pink Besame blush and finish with Besame Loose Powder (love the vanilla scent).
4. Lipstick - lately either Besame Red Velvet or Merlot.

My hair's a bob, so I do little to it - just follow with a touch of the Neutragena Triple Moisture leave in Conditioner. I've never been able to do hair, and certainly not first thing in the morning.

Evening
1. Repeat #2 above. But - kudos to someone who suggested in an acne thread that only oil can dissolve oil (blackhead). I've been using DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil and I've seen some good results!

I guess the most vintage-y thing about my routine is Besame.

Wendy

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I've been very relaxed lately in my routine since having difficulty finding vintage-inspired maternity wear,but found a cute 30s inspired look yesterday and am bringing the old routine out of retirement today.
Here's the routine:

Get up about 2 hours before I need to start getting ready.Use a headband to hold hair back.Eat a bowl of cereal w/banana and drink a glass of milk.
Play on computer,surf old powder room topics on the fedora lounge and resurrect them.Think about staarting a thread about sweaters.

For day,I like to wear what I've dubbed as my fresh-face 40s girl look.
1. Cleanse face with Eminence sweet red rose cleanser and moisturize with Eminence rosehip whip moisturizer.(High grade 100% organic line) Remove headband.
2.Hot shower,wash and condition hair last in tepid water.(Hot water fades reds)
3.Moisturize with a gardenia scented lotion(don't like to wear perfume to work in case any clients are sensitive to fragrance,but the lotion is very light)
4.Blowdry pixie cut for about 2 minutes and then add Texture Twist by Pureology(another high grade organic line)sweep hair to the side using fingers with a low part and tuck the sides sleekly.Takes maybe another minute.
5.Brush and floss.
6.Conceal under eyes and use Bare Minerals with a soft fluffy brush.
7.Apply an auburnish shade of eyeshadow to brows with a brush and then a light dusting of an almond shade of eyeshadow to entire lid.Add maybelline black mascara and curl lashes.
8.Apply poppy blush by Mac to the apples of my cheeks lightly.
9.Fill in and line lips with Mac spice lipliner and then mix a coral and red lipstick to make a coraly red shade,apply with a lipliner brush.
10.Get dressed,add pearls,change purse to match ensemble,lose keys while changing purse,run around like mad looking for keys only to find I already put them in new purse or I am actually holding them in my hand.

GOK

One Too Many
Wake up, wince because my back has stiffened up and my dodgy shoulder hurts.

Get up, do the zombie impression toward the en suite....ummmmm, I mean, glide in the most dignified manner to the bathroom!

After doing what we all do when we awake, I clean my teeth then go downstairs and have brekkie.

I clear up a bit (because I still haven't found a cleaner yet. Boooo.) and then shower. Do teeth again.

Face gets scrubbed/exfoliated with Lush's Angels on Bare Skin, body gets washed with either a Lush shower gel (Old Blue Skies Is Back is the current fave if I'm not going to be putting perfume on after. If I am, it tends to be something citrussy such as Olive Branch...which is divine) and a shower scrunchy. Then comes the de-fuzzing using MMU's Persephone's Kiss or Bulgarian Rose shaving cream (again, depending if I am going to be wearing Chanel or not after!).

If my hair needs washing etc. I use either dead sea shampoo and conditioner from a little shop in Yorkshire; the stuff smells of dead fish in the bottle but it works brilliantly...and the smell vanishes once it is used! Or I use B Never Serpentine/Tangle combo. However, I've gone off the B signature scent, so might add some EOs to the products!

What next? Oh yes, out of the shower and on with the moisturisers. Yes, plural. Here's the list:

Face - Origins; Perfect World
Eyes - Lush; Enchanted Eye Cream
Neck - Lush; Mirror Mirror
Lips - pure unadulterated shea butter or Pussy Pucker Pots Vanilla Vulva lip balm (!)

Body - Fresh Body Market; Cherry Papaya Body Butter
Elbows, knees, heels - Fresh Body Market; Vanilla Granola Body Cream
Hands - Origins; Make A Difference Hand Cream
Nails, cuticles; Pussy Pucker Pots Vanilla Vulva lip balm

Then it's time for make up! But before I start, I apply some MAC Prep & Prime to give me a good, even canvas with which to work. :D

Foundation - Lily Lolo; Blondie
Concealer - Lily Lolo; Blondie Concealer
Finishing Powder - Lily Lolo; Translucent Silk
Eyeshadow - Lily Lolo; Star Dust Highlighter
Eyeliner - MAC; Black Black pigment mixed with a binder
Mascara - B Never; Black
Eyebrows - MAC; Black Black pigment used dry
Blusher - Lily Lolo; Candy Cane
Lip Liner - B?©same; red
Lipstick - MAC; Russian Red

If I've washed my hair, I now either comb it out and leave it to dry if I want the Bettie Page look (my hair is very thick and wavy) or I'll blow dry it then straighten it using GHDs. If I want it more curly, I'll spritz it with setting lotion (I forget the name of it), roll it up, wait for it to dry and pray the doorbell doesn't ring! If I haven't washed my hair, I'll either just brush it, straighten it or maybe put it into a ponytail.

Then it's a quick spritz with perfume (Chanel Coco Mademoiselle) and on with the clothes. Sometimes stockings go on perfectly first time, another time it might take me ten minutes to get my seams straight. :rolleyes:

I know this all sounds as though it takes a hideously long time but the reality is that it's about 90 mins to two hours tops. Since I don't have children at home and I work for myself (usually 9-11 hours a day), I reason that I am perfectly entitled to spend this time on myself. Why shouldn't I? :p

Kitty55

New in Town
On an average day, I:

- shower, washing face with either Dove or Neutrogena, depending on the time of the year and a buff-puff
- spray hair with root-booster, blow-dry until semi, dry, finish fringe standing up, using a comb
- put hair up with a hair stick (unless I'm going out, in which case I start in with hot rollers)
- apply perfume (usually Ralph Lauren's Romance)
- apply foundation and concealer, then powder, then more concelaer and powder under the eyes and on any spots
- fill in/shape brows
- apply black or dark brown liquid eyeliner (top lid only)
- apply highlighting powder, blush, then a soft brown shadow
- apply silicone pre-mascara prep
- brush teeth
- gently curl fringe, finish off with light mist of hair spray
- get dressed
- (if going out, remove rollers and curl any wonky ends before finishing off with a light mist of hair spray)
- apply black mascara
- run around, collecting everything I need for work and the gym

When I get to work, I usually curl my lashes on the first trip to the bathroom :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy