Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you like eating PORK & BEANS from the can?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Btw, are these what they call Bachelor Beans in England and/or Ireland?

Bachelors is just a brand of baked beans, same as Heinz!

We have tinned sausages and beans here, but I like the vegetarian version - I don't like unidentifiable meat like frankfurters (the 'sausages' are just miniature frankfurters!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Although I will say the UK beans are much more tomatoey then the 'pork and beans' stuff you get here....

darn it...now you have me wanting beans and toast with proper beans...

While in *New* England, the very idea of tomato with beans brings a look of horror -- there's actually a law on the books in Massachusetts stipulating that "baked beans", to be labeled as such, cannot contain any tomato product. Proper *Boston* beans are made only with molasses, brown sugar, and mustard. And served with bread that comes in a can.

If you want tomatoey pork and beans, Campbell's has plenty of tomatoes, but they're a bit on the Spaghetti-O's side.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
While in *New* England, the very idea of tomato with beans brings a look of horror -- there's actually a law on the books in Massachusetts stipulating that "baked beans", to be labeled as such, cannot contain any tomato product. Proper *Boston* beans are made only with molasses, brown sugar, and mustard. And served with bread that comes in a can.

If you want tomatoey pork and beans, Campbell's has plenty of tomatoes, but they're a bit on the Spaghetti-O's side.

Yes...two totally different creatures in my mind...and I actually eat them in totally different ways....

much like I drink tea in two totally different ways and its in my brain 'not the same drink'....(with lemon and preserves in Russian fashion, and with milk and sugar in British fashion)

ooh I hadn't tried the Campbells...might have to do that when the beans on toast mood strikes.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Van Camp's roots can be traced back to Gilbert Van Camp and his wife, Hester. Back in 1861, they canned fruits and vegetables in their family store in Indianapolis. Van Camp was an entrepreneur and tinsmith who built the first cold storage warehouse. Gilbert's son, Frank, discovered that pork and beans taste better when mixed with tomatoes and served hot. He began marketing his new product and even sold it to Union troops during the Civil War. By 1909, Van Camp's was the No. 1-selling pork-and-bean brand in the United States.

Three years ago, this very day, I went to Govner's Isle
To stand ferinst the cannon in true military style,
Thirteen American Dollars each month we surely get,
To carry a gun and a bayonet with a military step.

cho:

There's Sergeant John McCafferty and Corp'ral Donahue
They make us march up to the crack in gallant Company Q;
The drums they roll, upon my soul, for that's the way we go
Forty miles a day on beans and hay in the Regular Army, Oh.

At least canned beans are more palatable than "Bully Beef."

JJWord

Familiar Face
I like to open the can 3/4 of the way, pull the lid back like a handle, drop that baby right onto some hot coals at the edge of a campfire. 5 minutes later use the lid to pull them out, stir and enjoy.

Chas

One Too Many
Can't. Gives the indigestion. I love beans but they don't love me back.

Celia Crowson said:
Pork and beans in a can - eek! is there really such a thing! :eek:

Not quite. It's more canned sugar, ketchup and beans with a slimy bit of pork fat.

I need a crock pot so's I can make some real baked beans.

JJWord

Familiar Face
Chas said:
Can't. Gives the indigestion. I love beans but they don't love me back.

Not quite. It's more canned sugar, ketchup and beans with a slimy bit of pork fat.

I need a crock pot so's I can make some real baked beans.

Sounds like Campbell's receipe. :)

Though I prefer Bush's Baked Beans, in the various flavors they offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot