Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you like eating PORK & BEANS from the can?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I always have a couple little one serving cans of Heinz Vegetarian Beans, just as emergency rations. And of course I eat 'em straight from the can. I get sadistic pleasure when my cats think I'm opening a can of cat food for them and then I eat it myself. lol

Feraud

Bartender
As I was typing "I love P&B from the can... especially with plenty of hot sauce" I wondered exactly when this perfect meal was canned?

Btw, are these what they call Bachelor Beans in England and/or Ireland?

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I prefer mine heated in the can (opened first, of course!) in the coals of a campfire after a long hike in the winter woods.

Michaelshane is correct. The P&B I remember from childhood in the 1950's seemed better. May be a nostalgic memory distortion.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Inusuit said:
I prefer mine heated in the can (opened first, of course!) in the coals of a campfire after a long hike in the winter woods.

Michaelshane is correct. The P&B I remember from childhood in the 1950's seemed better. May be a nostalgic memory distortion.

The beans were whole and firm,It wasn't long ago they changed,maybe five years or less.I eat them a lot so I know they are different.New and improved you know......:rage:

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Can we have a vintage tie-in here? Perhaps soldiers in the field or Depression era necessities. Otherwise, it's more of a random blog post.

Lol oddly enough P&B are my cats names! And speakin' o soldiers in the field...anybody like a great piece of SoS? (Sh*t on a Shingle) Its good stuff on toast...looks like you just ate it but it tastes gooood. That army food dey gives us is alllright!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Van Camp's roots can be traced back to Gilbert Van Camp and his wife, Hester. Back in 1861, they canned fruits and vegetables in their family store in Indianapolis. Van Camp was an entrepreneur and tinsmith who built the first cold storage warehouse. Gilbert's son, Frank, discovered that pork and beans taste better when mixed with tomatoes and served hot. He began marketing his new product and even sold it to Union troops during the Civil War. By 1909, Van Camp's was the No. 1-selling pork-and-bean brand in the United States.

From November 1912

PagesfromMP1912November.jpg

irb

Familiar Face
My word, a can of this has been following me around for many, many years. In the Boy Scouts as a kid we did a lot of camping, see, and Pork 'n Beans was the fallback meal. It was sort of a joke that if we didn't get a fire going or whatnot we'd be eating Pork 'n Beans. My sister likes to remind me of this by gifting me with a can whenever I move. I bought a house to just to get her to stop!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Don't eat pork, but baked beans are all right in small doses, especially at barbecues. At some point I want to throw a vintage barbecue with lawn games and people wearing panama hats and so on.

But my favourite barbecue/garden party items growing up were definitely devilled eggs and dill pickles. Mmm. And I know I have a vintage dill pickle recipe around here somewhere! lol

Well, if you can't get a fire started and still have daylight, you could always whack a big coffee-can in half (left/right halves, not top/bottom), line with foil and set the open can inside that as an improvised solar oven... I did this once back in elementary school. Let's just say "Science Project: Grilling" got me a nice amount of extra-credit... and a higher esteem among my classmates for fixing lunch for the class.

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Main Theme - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
via FoxyTunes

Flivver

Practically Family
Canned Pork & Beans was a staple in our house when I was a kid in the 1950s.

I still enjoy good ol' B&M canned beans!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner