Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Listen To The Radio?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Radio is probably the oldest form of entertainment that doesn't involve travelling to hear (or see) it. Today's radio can be concocted up in a series of talk shows, lots of music, news, gospel preaching, and sports. I used to listen to 106.7 KROQ, a station in the Los Angeles/Orange County area that plays nonstop rock music. Every morning on my way to school it was "Kevin and Bean in the morning". I guess other than that I really never listened to the radio much. My parents listen to classical, one of my friends still listens to KROQ, and I occasionally listen every Saturday morning to a college station playing old music.

So what do you listen to on the radio or what did you listen to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All our local stations were bought out by Cheap Channel, er Clear Channel and reprogrammed with inane satellite fare, so I don't listen to them anymore. I do however listen to NPR every morning, and I tune in the Red Sox games on AM every night after work. Always have, and I imagine, I always will.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sadly I don't listen to the radio anymore. When I'm driving it's only CDs (dance bands from the 20s and 30s mainly) and at home the same, and from those dance bands, it's not just any music from that era that I like, but I burn my own CDs and I choose only the tunes I like best(there was also some reallly bad music back then, you know...)
So no, no radio for me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
No radio for me, either. Right now, if my husband and I are in the car together we'll listen to 104.5 out of Philadelphia. It recently changed it's format to 90s alternative -- which we both like.

BUT!! Philly is notorious for having a good radio station, having it last for about a year, then it goes to hip-hop. :rage:

When I'm alone I listen to my CDs. My Living Era Hits Of... (1920-1940) CDs and my 1980s mega-mix that I burned.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
My Favorite Radio Station

new_final.gif

My oldies station has a playlist of 7000 songs, sound souviner's from the 1950's, 60's 70's and 80's on 92.7 FM.

Flora

Familiar Face
I listen to internet playlists. I'm into anything odd and out there. They'd never play the music I listen to on the radio. When I do listen to radio, I try to find an Indian or Arabic music station.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
NPR on the way to and from school.

Car Talk on the weekends, Big Broadcast on Sunday night.

The classical station or AM talk radio while driving sometimes.

Otherwise, internet radio for me at home.

I have news or news/talk going 24/7 in the Lair. Out away from my little "secured location", it's either more of same (either "real" or Internet radio) or FM classical or easy-listening/light jazz. (Gotta compensate for the driving tones of my "War" and "Working" mixes somehow, y'know?)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I listen to NYC radio stations during my two or three hours of driving every weekday (and I listen to CDs sometimes too):

1 - WFUV: Fordham U non-commercial station, a wide range of Americana (folk, blues, country, rock, bluegrass, etc.) Of special interest is Rich Conaty's The Big Broadcast - (largely obscure) pop music of the 20s/30s - Sunday nights from 8:00 until midnight.

2 - WKCR: Columbia U non-commercial station, they play several hours of jazz a day - most of it vintage or avant garde stuff that you don't hear on 3, including a daily dose of Charlie Parker from the delightfully obsessive, always interesting Phil Schaap.

3 - WBGO: Non-commercial all-jazz station from NJ, great stuff, but they hardly play anything older than the mid-50s, and far too many mediocre vocalists (I end up changing stations after about three songs).

4 - WQXR: The New York Times classical station, WAY too many commercials, but if you dig classical, they're the one.

BTW, all of these stations have streaming websites, so I urge non-NYC-area Loungers to check 'em out!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Good Question

After working in radio/media for many years, you'd think I'd be addicted (right Lizzie?). But I rarely listen anymore. NPR mornings and afternoons when I remember to tune in, and that's it.
I'd hate to be in radio now. It smells like a "buggy whip business." The old FCC rule barring ownership of multiple stations in the same market would have been better left in place.

panamag8or

Practically Family
scotrace said:
After working in radio/media for many years, you'd think I'd be addicted (right Lizzie?). But I rarely listen anymore. NPR mornings and afternoons when I remember to tune in, and that's it.
I'd hate to be in radio now. It smells like a "buggy whip business." Not much need for it. The old FCC rule barring ownership of multiple stations in the same market would have been better left in place.

I agree. Having worked for Cheap Channel myself, I have become somewhat jaded with modern radio. If I do listen, it is usually the 80's station... I'm trying to catch up on 80's, since I boycotted it back then, in favor of metal.

Otherwise, it's Pandora on my computer, or CD's I make.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Albuquerque is all a big Clear Channel monopoly. There's one independent station called ED fm, but it's mostly 80's pop...always good for laughing-with-friends times.

Santa Fe has a new indie station, but I haven't gotten the chance to experience it yet. Other than that, there's gool ol' college radio and Real Oldies 1600 (which has WAY too many Grease songs for my liking...bleh!).

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
I like to listen to my old radios but it is usually internet streams, XM Radio, or downloaded OTR that I play through my AM Transmitter. With the exception of some occasional NPR I have a very difficult time finding anything interesting on the AM dial.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
gluegungeisha said:
Albuquerque is all a big Clear Channel monopoly. There's one independent station called ED fm, but it's mostly 80's pop...always good for laughing-with-friends times.

Santa Fe has a new indie station, but I haven't gotten the chance to experience it yet. Other than that, there's gool ol' college radio and Real Oldies 1600 (which has WAY too many Grease songs for my liking...bleh!).

I listen to ED fm every once in a while. Other than that, 770 AM for Coast to Coast AM at times. Beyond that, I'm all CD's and MP3's.

Haven't heard Santa Fe's new station yet; didn't know they had one. Guess that shows how well I keep up.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At home, sometimes in the car

http://www.legends990.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2060 Just Thursday I won a lunch for two certificate for answering a trivia question and having my name drawn from the hat. Click on the words Liten Live some week-day afternoon and you might hear my dulcet tones requesting MacArthur Park.
Once in a while I channel surf and listen to FM.
I used to listen to CHWO AM 740 from Toronto but I drive hubby's car now and the antenna doesn't pick that up.

Travis

Suspended
I listen to the local jazz station or sometimes the local classical station when driving around. Often it's CDs however. I listen to a lot of old radio shows, but for the most part, I find modern radio content to be boring and incredibly overrated. Beautiful medium that has been used lately to bring about far less quality content than it is capable of in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy