Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Match Jacket Color and Clothing?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I never match colors and never consider it important. But I tend to wear black jeans and black shirts and black sweaters. But I have brown boots and brown belts and a few brown jackets. Couldn't care less if they match or not.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I never match colors and never consider it important. But I tend to wear black jeans and black shirts and black sweaters. But I have brown boots and brown belts and a few brown jackets. Couldn't care less if they match or not.

Funny, I have a friend who is exactly the same way, with the same colors.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I tend to mix and match but isn a specific order. IE Brown jacket, belt and boots, black shirt black trousers. I sometimes throw in a green or khaki.
You could call it a black and tan sandwich, but dont tell my Irish mates haha.

zebedee

One Too Many

As long as two of three match, you're ok. I match a cordovan jacket with burgundy shoes/boots, but I don't worry about a matching belt- I'll wear a dark brown or black belt. No-one gives a monkey's. It actually looks weirder if everything matches, and sometimes brown boots work with cordovan, too.

Only exception is a brown jacket with black boots- this seems to always look odd. I've worn a black stockman with a tan belt and tan loakes with no problems. Same thing with brown jacket and tan belt/boots.

You can match three of three every time, but I've never been as embarrassed as when I did this regularly and was finally asked by a co-worker, "Hey James, do you deliberately colour-coordinate?" I suppose that I prefer boots and belt to match if I remember to worry.

That's true, regarding matching three of three. Belt I worry about the least, and I usually end up wearing the same one for a long time...

What about brown boots with black jackets? I've never been sure on that one...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I always match my leather jackets to shoes/belts. I've been known to match my wallet as well, when I have the time.

Same here. The only thing I'm missing at the moment is a light tan belt, but I've got ones in black/cordovan/mid-brown and shoes to match. Feels wrong if I'm heavily mismatched. Anyone got an opinion on wearing black jeans with cordovan shoes/jacket/belt?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Black and cordovan mix well to my eye. Brown against cordovan looks more off to me.

I think it depends on the shade of brown. If it's Horween's brown FQHH, for me there's enough red in it for there to be a cordovan match, but other shades wouldn't work.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me it depends. I mostly wear jeans with T-Shirts and V neck jumpers. Colors are black, and any shade of grey, blue and red.

I fit is warm and i am just wearing jeans, a t shirt /jumper and boots, i will match boots and belt.

If i am wearing a leather jacket i will match jacket and boots, but i find that you can get away with not matching the belt.
Like black boots, black leather jacket, but chestnut belt, or brown belt works for me.

I think you can really get away with mismatching if the leather tones are very far from each other.
Like, i will wear my RedWings 877, which are close to tan with a black leather jacket and black belt. If it was good enough for Jack Nicholson, it is good enough for me.

I will never on the other hand wear dark brown shoes with a black leather jacket or dark brown jacket with black shoes.
To me it looks very wrong.

IMG2_zps3ce677f7.jpg

Last edited:

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I think the black jacket blue jeans and tan boots look is ok, but I am colorblind. I think it looks ok mainly because I have seen it so often, usually with tan workboots.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
^ Yeah, that's just a still from "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest." The jacket is brown, for sure.

And, I'm a matcher or try to be, at least.

- Ian

CBI

One Too Many
yep, I try to match as well. Kinda of depends. Just heading to the store or a quick trip, don't bother. For a work thing or nice dinner with friends then yes however.............

My vintage clothes are all of the older colors with mostly military tones, greens, browns, earth tones, they always work well

That said, I do look better in blacks and grays so most of my "real" clothes HAAAAAAAAAA match as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda