Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you see a time when you stop wearing vintage?

Edward

Bartender
However, as someone whose fate regrettably did not contain the opportunity for certain 'rites of passage' and who therefore is lumped in with the chronically immature on a daily basis, I've just developped a thin skin in regards to these issues.

Yes. I've reached the point myself where I would quite readily snap viciously at people who think I "chose" certain options.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Ironically I started this topic and my own answer is Yes and now.
Personally lost all interest in vintage now, becuse it's just too expensive for me now, i looked at a very nice 40's hat on Saturday and it was £85.00 well i can get a modern skirt suit for less than that.
I no outlet for my vintage other than the Internet and for what ever reason there is not interest in my vintage web site so I taken it down.
and when I posted photos of vintage on flicker the same goes no views or comments.
So my collection packed away's and even I do not look at it now.
I now am more into modern styles now they are more practical for me to wear and to be creative with and people seam to appricaited it more.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Ironically I started this topic and my own answer is Yes and now.
Personally lost all interest in vintage now, becuse it's just too expensive for me now, i looked at a very nice 40's hat on Saturday and it was £85.00 well i can get a modern skirt suit for less than that.
I no outlet for my vintage other than the Internet and for what ever reason there is not interest in my vintage web site so I taken it down.
and when I posted photos of vintage on flicker the same goes no views or comments.
So my collection packed away's and even I do not look at it now.
I now am more into modern styles now they are more practical for me to wear and to be creative with and people seam to appricaited it more.

Yea, I can agree with you on certain points here. I never liked real vintage -- too expensive, never fit me, and too fragile for my clumsiness. So I began to sew from vintage patterns, which was fine until I gained a bit of weight and began to rack up a biggish fabric bill. I sew every now and again, and dress vintage every now and again, but I wear modern clothing for the most part. I feel like I'm not taken seriously in full-on vintage at work. In my own time I work out quite a bit so the dreaded workout gear for me! Full-on vintage is saved for going out, but I do wear my hair and makeup vintage every single day and wear cat's eye glasses.

As for the Internet being my only vintage outlet -- yup, same here. My husband likes it, but not to the extent that I do. I have a public Facebook I use for my vintage outlet and get lots of positive comments and feedback from it. I find people on FB are much like me -- they love vintage, but it hasn't consumed their lives and they have good senses of humour about everything. I also keep vintage pics of Flickr and now Pinterest. Those are my vintage outlets.

Louise Anne

Suspended
As for the Internet being my only vintage outlet -- yup, same here. My husband likes it, but not to the extent that I do. I have a public Facebook I use for my vintage outlet and get lots of positive comments and feedback from it. I find people on FB are much like me -- they love vintage, but it hasn't consumed their lives and they have good senses of humour about everything. I also keep vintage pics of Flickr and now Pinterest. Those are my vintage outlets.

I have a thread on another vintage forum about cross dressing and vintage, etc and some idiot jouned and there first post post they made was a derogatoryre mark about me, i did not even have to point out to the admin they deleted hime straight away , that seams to be how these places are going now I have a private F/B because of the previos and surred a lot on Deviant aret and flicker, you might be lucky but i know a lot of ladies who also suffer on there, i nt even started about the moderlling sites, who are very just so narrow minded.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Yea, I can agree with you on certain points here. I never liked real vintage -- too expensive, never fit me, and too fragile for my clumsiness. So I began to sew from vintage patterns, which was fine until I gained a bit of weight and began to rack up a biggish fabric bill. I sew every now and again, and dress vintage every now and again, but I wear modern clothing for the most part. I feel like I'm not taken seriously in full-on vintage at work. In my own time I work out quite a bit so the dreaded workout gear for me! Full-on vintage is saved for going out, but I do wear my hair and makeup vintage every single day and wear cat's eye glasses.

I feel like I could have written this post. I get some comments from the older ladies at work about my vintage hair but if it's too "quirky", it's just odd looks. In another life I'd love to own more vintage garments but it's too costly and hard to find in my general area without resorting to Ebay and even then you run the risk of disappointment because someone may not have measured correctly. :p I too stick to more modern clothes with a vintage or retro look and go for vintage make-up and hair and accessories. My husband will call me his pin-up but as far as me trying to coax him into some vintage wear, is pretty much like talking to a brick wall.

Flicka

One Too Many
Me three. I have almost no vintage clothes. It's mostly either modern clothes with an old-fashioned look or home made. I try to keep on the right side of quirky too; I think my hair is what people notice most, but I've completely stopped using modern-looking stuff. Somehow wearing real vintage stuff makes me feel like I'm wearing a costume, plus I just don't have the patience and care it would require.

I don't know anyone like me IRL. I really hate how everyone assumes that just because I wear curls and pearls I want to spend my life baking cupcakes in Pleasantville. I wish I knew more people - IRL or online - who get the whole 'alternative lifestyle' thing. I don't know where you all find your facebook/twitter friends. :(

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I don't know anyone like me IRL. I really hate how everyone assumes that just because I wear curls and pearls I want to spend my life baking cupcakes in Pleasantville. I wish I knew more people - IRL or online - who get the whole 'alternative lifestyle' thing. I don't know where you all find your facebook/twitter friends. :(
My vintage facebook friends all came from Fedora Lounge. I closed my Twitter account about 3 years ago, though. If you want to friend me on FB, I go by my real name "Andrea Gideon". Send me a friend request.

Kishtu

Practically Family
It's a funny thing, up until recently I've liked the vintage look but not really done much about it, but of late I'm getting more and more into the style. There is very little "scene" where we live so really we have to make our own.... ah well..... it hurts no one!

Have to say, Paul, I am so sorry to hear how you have been treated and that it's made you feel the way you do. I hope it doesn;t spoil your pleasure in your vintage collection, and in dressing vintage, permanently.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I never thought about wearing vintage as being "immature", sagging may be immature, but not vintage. I saw vintage as traditional, possibly old-fashioned, but not immature. I don't wear vintage, but I do wear traditional clothing. I work in aerospace, so sport coats have been out side the 1960's, but khaki's and a button down shirt has been in since then too.

Later

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Me three. I have almost no vintage clothes. It's mostly either modern clothes with an old-fashioned look or home made. I try to keep on the right side of quirky too; I think my hair is what people notice most, but I've completely stopped using modern-looking stuff. Somehow wearing real vintage stuff makes me feel like I'm wearing a costume, plus I just don't have the patience and care it would require.

I also found most of my "alt-vintage" friends here!! I'm always posting pics and/or taking about "alternative" stuff from Victorian-50s on my Facebook. Add me as a friend or subscribe if you wish:

http://www.facebook.com/amy.jeanne.mac

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I have a thread on another vintage forum about cross dressing and vintage, etc and some idiot jouned and there first post post they made was a derogatoryre mark about me, i did not even have to point out to the admin they deleted hime straight away , that seams to be how these places are going now I have a private F/B because of the previos and surred a lot on Deviant aret and flicker, you might be lucky but i know a lot of ladies who also suffer on there, i nt even started about the moderlling sites, who are very just so narrow minded.

I've never had a bad experience on FB, Flickr, or Pinterest. Of course, I keep it vintage and don't really post pictures of myself (I'm not that interesting lol). I keep some things "private" on my FB (nothing is really private there, though!), but most of my pictures and updates have been public recently. I love posting pictures of bizarre vintage things or "real" vintage things -- not just fashion models or movies stars (though I do post them, too!). I linked my FB in the previous post. Feel free to subscribe. I get nothing but funny/interesting comments from the people on FB. They are all so delightful!

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
I don't know anyone like me IRL. I really hate how everyone assumes that just because I wear curls and pearls I want to spend my life baking cupcakes in Pleasantville.

LOL!!

In all seriousness though *whisper* I wish the above mentioned was my life.

I get what you're saying though, definitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21