Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Still Use "Golden Age" Products?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Moxie is sold in all the grocery stores here -- it's the favorite soft drink of grumpy men in plaid flannel shirts and little felt hats who sit on the porch all day and yell at the neighborhood kids.

I live about twenty minutes' drive from the hometown of Moxie's inventor, and the headquarters of a Moxie Museum. Every August at the county fair, there are Moxie Tastings, where tourists are introduced to the drink -- and their reactions are always *priceless.*

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Every August at the county fair, there are Moxie Tastings, where tourists are introduced to the drink -- and their reactions are always *priceless.*

Yes - that reaction is priceless. And I had that same reaction the first time I tried it. I saw it for sale and, since I never had it before, decided to give it a try out of curiosity. The best way I can describe my initial reaction is to say it was one of genuine shock. "People actually choose to drink this stuff?" But I also noticed that, after I drank it, it was quite refreshing in an odd sort of way and that I wasn't thirsty any more. It didn't take long for me to become addicted. Then I got to have lots of fun introducting Moxie to newbies.

I just wish it was easier to obtain here. There are enough transplanted Yankees here in Texas that I suspect that if a store would start carrying it, quite a few people would make a trip out of their way just to stock up on it.

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I love that place! It's amazing how much money I can spend on soda alone when I shop there lol

Another vintage soda pop that I tried recently and really enjoyed is Iron Beer. It is a Cuban soda pop that has been made since 1917 and used to be known as the "national beverage" of Cuba. The owners of the company had to flee when Castro set up his dictatorship so the product has been manufactured in South Florida since then and that is primarily where it is sold. However, here in Texas one can purchase it at the Fiesta Mart supermarket chain. Fiesta primarily caters to the Hispanic market - but they tend to stock lots imported and ethnic items based on the demographics surrounding their individual stores. Their best locations are in Houston which is a very international city and has large populations of a variety of ethnic groups. Whenever I visit that city, I always make it a point to stop by one of their larger stores and try all sorts of new food and/or beverage items. Their locations here in Fort Worth/Dallas are not as large or nice - but the one near me does stock Iron Beer and now that I have discovered it, I will definitely be buying more on occasion. Here is the product's website: http://www.sunshinebottling.com/history.htm

Some years back I went to Connecticut to visit some friends and, somewhere outside of Hartford, we stopped at a tiny local bottling company which had a retail store at their plant. They basically sold assorted flavors of pop - grape, orange, etc. I don't remember the pop as being especially remarkable. What I thought was unique was that the pop was sold in vintage returnable glass bottles from various New England bottlers which I assume were defunct. I still have two of the bottles: Manhattan Beverages made in Woonsocket, Rhode Island and Pioneer Valley from Northampton, Mass. I guess when the bottling companies went out of business, their supply of empty glass bottles was sold along with what other assets they had - and they were probably still so plentiful that they had little value as collectors items. Unfortunately, since it was a friend who was doing all of the driving, I have no recollection as to where this little bottling company was or what its name is. It was definitely a neat experience to buy and drink soda pop out of bottles that were decades old, however.

Reliable, familiar, or just liked for label

These reliable, comfortable, familiar or I like 'em just for the label products are used or displayed in my home:
Witch Hazel
Old Dutch Cleanser
Rubbing Alcohol
And while the packaging is not period, the 99 cent store has Rinso (Since 1915 I think it said) which works great used half stregnth and cut with baking soda.
Oh yes, Baking Soda!
C02 fire extinguisher
Marvel Mystery Oil
Moxie cola (the only Moxie I have found locally)
More to follow...

houndstoothhat

New in Town
Another great line of sodas...

A great line of vintage sodas I found a few years ago are from Foxon Park Beverages in East Haven, Conn. I say vintage, because they are still made the way they were in 1922 when the company was founded. Made with cane sugar so they cost a little more, but its worth it. You can now purchase them online. I have bought several cases over the past few years and I have never been disappointed. My favorites...Gassosa (very similar to a Sprite, but more on the lemon side of lemon-lime). Also, except for their cola drink, they are all caffeine free. Here's their address: www.foxonpark.com

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
I didn't think I still used much until I started thinking about the kitchen. Not a whole lot has changed in the last century there:

King Arthur Flour (1790)
Mortons Kosher Salt (1848)
Rumford Baking Powder (1950)
ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda (1846)
Nielsen-Massey Vanilla (1907)

Band-Aids (1920)
Kleenex (1924)

My friend still uses BC Powder (1910) for headaches

When I was a child, I consumed far more St Josephs childrens aspirin (1922) tablets than I should have.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
-Bon Ami
-baking soda (great as a tooth powder)
-Lux soap
-Cashmere Bouquet
I used to use Coty's loose powder & VO5 Conditioning Hairdress, just like my grandmother did (I didn't know I was using "her" products until my mother told me)
-Tussy
-Kotex
-Avon
I love having aspirin around, and I use it more than Tylenol
-Chanel No. 5
-single note fragrances like lilac and mimosa
-Yardley soaps...

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Royal Crown Pomade

Watkins Petro-Carbo Salve

Rose Bud Salve

As far as the more medical stuff, I stick to essential oils (which are extremely vintage having been used for thousands of years); and homeopathic arnica gel which is also in the line of 'vintage' because homeopathy was started in the late 1700's. I also use herbs, teas, and vitamins (which have been used for many decades).

Some may think that this seemingly booming 'natural/alternative' health products industry is new, but in fact it's just 're-discovered' helpful aids that have been used for hundreds to thousands of years.

Prien

marquise

Familiar Face
Disregarding the many larder-ingrediant facial masks I've been making lately, I use:

- Witch hazel for makeup remover.
- Apple cider vinegar for toner.
- Rosebud salve.
- Queen Helene masks.
- Bayer asprin (for pain and asprin facial masks).
- Kotex of course.
- Coke in glass bottles. I still hold hope for the holy grail of cane sugar Coke in bottles, however. And always on the lookout for Moxie and Nehi.
- Baking soda mixed with soap as facial scrub.
- Kellog's cornflakes, no sugar added, the only cereal I'll eat.
- Cafe du Monde's chicory coffee, which they've been selling for god knows how long.
- Do 78s count? And deco record players?
- My toothpaste, Marvis Ginger-Mint:
margingr.jpg

in some of the most vintage-looking packaging around.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every day!

Since Pond's stopped making vanishing cream, I started using this one - there are others on the market, but the Art Deco black and lavender carton and matching metal tube won my heart!
texasbeautysupplycom_1973_48101748

Miss Brill

One Too Many
patrick1987 said:
Is Prell Golden Age?

From Wiki:
Prell was introduced by Procter & Gamble in 1947.

Prell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prell is a viscous, pearl green shampoo and conditioner product manufactured by Prestige Brands that according to its maker "...contain a unique “rinse clean” formula that provides a thick, rich lather for clean, healthy hair."

[edit] History
Prell was introduced by Procter & Gamble in 1947. The original formula was a clear green concentrate packaged in a tube. In 1955 Prell was marketed for women who wanted their hair to have that radiantly alive look. A woman held the Prell bottle with her hands on both sides, directly in front of her face.[1] Prell and Head and Shoulders, also made by Procter & Gamble, were the two best-selling shampoos in the United States in June 1977. Procter & Gamble had the highest advertising budget in the shampoo industry.[2] The firm of Wells, Rich, Greene carried out advertising for Prell.[3] Prior to December 1, 1973 Prell billings was coordinated by Benton & Bowles.[4] In advertisements the quasi-liquid Prell would induce a pearl to float slowly to the bottom of a container.[5] Procter & Gamble sold the brand to Prestige Brands International in November 1999.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can recommend Prell then, because Patrick does have beautiful long silky hair.
Murphy's Oil Soap! Scoop out what you are going to use and put some water in the jar. The soap replaces itself. This is how I have the same jar I had when I was in high school. I have since bought a bottle of the liquid Murphy's Oil Soap, I guess they finally realized a self-replacing product was only going to sell once per customer.

R

Ron

I have Vitalis; Burma Shave shaving soap; Borax; Ipana; Creamulsion; Epsom Salts; BC powder ... I am sure there are others, but that is all that springs to mind.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
Since Pond's stopped making vanishing cream, I started using this one - there are others on the market, but the Art Deco black and lavender carton and matching metal tube won my heart!
texasbeautysupplycom_1973_48101748

I use that too! I haven't in awhile, but I need to start using it again. :)

Magadag

New in Town
feltfan said:
Ah, good old Bayer aspirin, a subsidiary of I.G. Farben....

BayerHeroin.png

Hello, in England and America you can be proud of your products.

But in Germany we´re not proud to use Bayer products, because
they (I. G. Farben) sponsored Hitler and took slave labourer from
him (in the "golden age"). It´s not forgotten

-J??rg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo