Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think there could be a second Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Could a lawsuit like this discourage other banks from giving out loans to low income people in the future?

Well, I don't know. If money is to be made (and there was money made off of Frannie and Freddie loans) I will doubt it. But the key was that Frannie and Freddie loans were government backed and encouraged by the government. Previously, banks couldn't give out too many loans to low income individuals because of a combination of government requirements and internal requirements. But one of the biggest problems standing in the way of low income individuals is that banks have consistently become mega-corporate banks where people purely are numbers, which stands in the way of low income individuals who don't look that good on paper but will pay the bank back- but only a banker with a personal relationship could know this.

I do think it will take government intervention to get low income loans going again, but the laws with this should be carefully written.

Now the whole slew of other loans (opened up by the loopholes in sub-prime mortgage law) that banks took advantage of (to their own profit and then semi-demise) I have absolutely no sympathy for, and these are the loans that caused the crisis, not really the Fanny and Freddie loans. Fanny and Freddie loans were a drop in the bucket. This crisis wouldn't have been nearly as bad if we were just looking at Fannie and Freddie loans.

Well, I don't know. If money is to be made (and there was money made off of Frannie and Freddie loans) I will doubt it. But the key was that Frannie and Freddie loans were government backed and encouraged by the government. Previously, banks couldn't give out too many loans to low income individuals because of a combination of government requirements and internal requirements. But one of the biggest problems standing in the way of low income individuals is that banks have consistently become mega-corporate banks where people purely are numbers, which stands in the way of low income individuals who don't look that good on paper but will pay the bank back- but only a banker with a personal relationship could know this.

I do think it will take government intervention to get low income loans going again, but the laws with this should be carefully written.

Now the whole slew of other loans (opened up by the loopholes in sub-prime mortgage law) that banks took advantage of (to their own profit and then semi-demise) I have absolutely no sympathy for, and these are the loans that caused the crisis, not really the Fanny and Freddie loans. Fanny and Freddie loans were a drop in the bucket. This crisis wouldn't have been nearly as bad if we were just looking at Fannie and Freddie loans.

The problem was for many that they bought too much house and had loans they could not pay for on their current income.
Many banks simply said we can refinance you to get the payments down but when the time came the buyer could not refi.

I don't feel bad for the banks because they are blood suckers to begin with and will figure out how to charge you to do anything or charge you to do nothing. However, signing a contract you don't undestand is no excuse.

They tossed the morgages around between companies like the game hot potato and everyone made money when the morgage changed hands...

2-3 years before the collapse one side said we need some reform it's gonna collapse and Charly Rangle said - you don't want poor people to have homes.

Charley It sure did a lot of good to have ALL those bankruptcies and foreclosures. And

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The problem was for many that they bought too much house and had loans they could not pay for on their current income.
Many banks simply said we can refinance you to get the payments down but when the time came the buyer could not refi.

I don't feel bad for the banks because they are blood suckers to begin with and will figure out how to charge you to do anything or charge you to do nothing. However, signing a contract you don't undestand is no excuse.

They tossed the morgages around between companies like the game hot potato and everyone made money when the morgage changed hands...

2-3 years before the collapse one side said we need some reform it's gonna collapse and Charly Rangle said - you don't want poor people to have homes.

Charley It sure did a lot of good to have ALL those bankruptcies and foreclosures. And

I think viewing all banks as evil is a failure of our society which wants to take everything in black and white. Not all banks participated in the sub-prime mortgage market, particularly smaller hometown based banks. The financial crisis had little to do with poor people owning homes- and more to do with a house you can't afford. If a person makes a million dollars a year but buys a home they can't pay off, it's a bad loan. And one can imagine that the sub-prime loans that middle and upper class people got were much more money in a single shot than 5 or 10 low income loans. Fannie and Freddy was literally a drop in the bucket. If just low-income people were foreclosed on, this would be a much different situation.

A sub-prime loan is a sub-prime loan is a sub-prime loan. This had so little to do with low income people getting loans and so much more to do with the fact that plenty of people, regardless of class were greedy and got loans they couldn't afford. Trying to hoist the blame on low income loans (which, by the way, included people who were making $40,000 a year- middle class where I live and a darn good wage) is just trying to misplace the blame on somebody else rather than taking a hard look at how our society thinks and operates.

Government at all levels turns ANYTHING into a demand for more tax dollars---failure or success.:eusa_doh:

Politicians and bureaucrats have more of a vested interest in failure than success because accomplishing what they set out to do only makes it harder to justify an increase in their budget (or even maintaining it at current levels) for the next fiscal year because now that "the battle has been won," their program or pet project has less priority. Whereas failure readily provides the rationalization that the failure was the result of not spending enough money.

Last edited:
Politicians and bureaucrats have more of a vested interest in failure than success because accomplishing what they set out to do only makes it harder to justify an increase in their budget (or even maintaining it at current levels) for the next fiscal year because now that "the battle has been won," their program or pet project has less priority. Whereas failure readily provides the rationalization that the failure was the result of not spending enough money.

Talk about a vicious circle.:eusa_doh:

There are very few programs that end at all. It always needs to be said that the government always spends somebody else's money.

Flicka

One Too Many
I would personally define fiscal matters and government spending as politics. Aren't we supposed to stay away from that?

Flicka

One Too Many
How can one dicuss as to the posibility of 2nd depression with out discussing fiscal matters and government spending both are fundimentally tied to the question.

One possible answer to that might be that if that is the case, then we shouldn't discuss the possibility of a second depression.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Someone once said that the nearest thing to immortality is a government bureau. :p
Oh great, I just spit my gov't issued coffee and donuts everywhere. ;)
Banks not giving out money or making wreckless loans is bad business, not politics.
Which is what caused the crash and led to the depression, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass