Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think there could be a second Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The "logical" talk of reopening the economy and letting the disease fall where it may leads to an obvious question: who here is willing to die, right now, for the sake of the economy? Who here is willing to step up and make the supreme sacrifice for the greater glory of the Gross National Product? Who here is ready to volunteer to choke to death on their own lungs for the holy sake of Mammon? Step up, don't be shy. Have the courage of your convictions.

We only have the luxury of sitting out the storm & staying safe, because others are risking their lives keeping our societies afloat, ( food supply chains, postal services, medical workers, law enforcement, etc.) Just thought they deserve a mention.;)

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
My real fear is the politically correct is going to be the real death of humanity and not those of us that are still williing to not merely roll over and play dead already.

Yet you are suggesting that a true patriot will be willing to roll over and die by disregarding pandemic warnings and safety mandates to support economic freedom. (Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Maybe the question shouldn't even be are *you*, meaning any one specific person, willing to die For The Economy. It should be "how many people are *you* willing to *kill* for the sake of The Economy." Because that's the real risk of this -- every person promiscuously spreading it about because they think it's all just a joke has the chance of passing the infection on to any number of others, at least some of whom, statistically speaking, are likely to die from it. Who are you willing to kill for the sake of The Economy? Somebody's grandmother? Somebody's dad? Somebody's child? Me?

The ancient Hebrew principle of bloodguilt comes to mind here.

As one said many many years ago...the Marketing Boys sure know how to keep PT Barnum alive, not something I have ever said.......I see cars in the USA, Party Stores that sell booze, and all other forms of things that create death...but no now lets toss the hat ring on this virus and be defeated...as to giving a virus to others...people drive and run other people over..some drunk and some not...some by accident...I still drive a car,. shame on me...oh the horror! You already have me murdering people...what will be next? Sorry but I for one will not endorse that line of thought process...but the last time I was in a store that was open I did pay for someone's grocery bill...maybe I should have made sure I had their contact information to make sure their part of the City has not dropped dead from being in the store near me...I will keep watching the news for any mass deaths from it...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yet you are asking others to roll over and die to support your freedom.
Not totally true but if it is asked for people to return to a workplace to keep this Nation going and my Businesses asked me to man a post, yep I am going the same if workers were needed someplace else. Hope no truck drivers are reading all this as they may be "offended" that people being out of their homes makes them a mass murderer as you desire to have me be labeled....so maybe truck drivers need to just park and go home...everyone roll it in...the Government wants you to do so....right?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Not totally true but if it is asked for people to return to a workplace to keep this Nation going and my Businesses asked me to man a post, yep I am going the same if workers were needed someplace else. Hope no truck drivers are reading all this as they may be "offended" that people being out of their homes makes them a mass murderer as you desire to have me be labeled....so maybe truck drivers need to just park and go home...everyone roll it in...the Government wants you to do so....right?

The government instructs essential workers to report to their "posts". My husband works in an essential business and he is out at work right now. Truck drivers are an essential business. Bank workers are an essential business yet you boasted earlier about how you spoke unkindly to them and demanded that they not keep their safe distance from you because you wanted them to make a deposit on your terms instead of using safer means. My husband has stories about people who yell at him and his co-workers because they believe that their wants trump their safety. I won't share my thoughts about them.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
The government instructs essential workers to report to their "posts". My husband works in an essential business and he is out at work right now. Truck drivers are an essential business. Bank workers are an essential business yet you boasted earlier about how you spoke unkindly to them and demanded that they not keep their safe distance from you because you wanted them to make a deposit on your terms instead of using safer means. My husband has stories about people who yell at him and his co-workers because they believe that their wants trump their safety. I won't share my thoughts about them.
Ah yes,...the unkindly bit...no...I had to remind them with some harsh reality they have a duty to perform their job and to allow me access to my own account...but then that makes no difference...I've already been labeled a mass murderer here...that is how it is...the side of being politically correct or merely a HUMAN that is not going to roll over and play dead already.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
We only have the luxury of sitting out the storm & staying safe, because others are risking their lives keeping our societies afloat, ( food supply chains, postal services, medical workers, law enforcement, etc.) Just thought they deserve a mention.;)

I want to add that's why it's so important that the rest of us respect the barriers and practices they have in place to keep everyone safe.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Seasonal Flu: Humans have herd immunity, meaning we've all seen versions of it for as long as our species has been here.

Coronavirus: Novel (new). It jumped from another species and mutated to enable infecting humans. Not a single human had immunity at the outset, and it will take a very long time to gain herd immunity through those who are sickened with COVID-19 and recover, and those who get the eventual vaccine. In the meantime, every living human is completely defenseless and wide open to infection.

I would like very much to put that silly comparison to rest for good.

We've made some changes in memberships, and this thread should settle down now.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Seasonal Flu: Humans have herd immunity, meaning we've all seen versions of it for as long as our species has been here.

That isn't quite true, no one really knows when the 'flu' virus first appeared for obvious reasons but it is possible it made it's appearence around 10,000 years ago & originated in China. Influenza also caused millions of deaths during the European colonial periods, since the native peoples had no prior exposure to the virus.
The seasonal flu virus has a tendancy to mutate which makes any long term immunity impossible, which is why it is recommended for those who are at risk, to be vaccinated each year with annually reformulated vaccines based on the W.H.O.'s predictions on which strains will be circulating that year.
The 'flu' still kills up to 650,000 people worldwide every year.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
M1/M2 averaging below 4.0; more talk of further fiscal stimulus. Gold and oil out of whack,
indicators that spell extreme caution and frugal pragmatism. Profligacy unfortunately is an easy
choice for fools.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
In nearly sixty years on this earth, with a rather wide acquaintance, I have never personally known anyone who died of Influenza. I have known five people so far who have died of COVID19, two of whom were under fifty.

This sad tally does not include my secretary’s mother, whom I never had the pleasure of meeting.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Real time M1/M2 today I peg at a nominal 1; ostensible St Louis measure last month tagged at 3.33 thereabouts;
looked last week, West Texas crude oil leveled at $18 with Permian Basin crude cash at $5.
Unemployment and stimulus hits. The Depression is here.:(
-------------
Texas tea now at $10.42
Texas tea now at $2.76

Yesterday's Texas Light Inter oil crash signaled the start of economic deflation,
which in the stimulus aggregate will lead to currency inflation, a cruel reckoning for this moribund viral economy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112