Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Watch End Credits?

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Yes, I'm still quite a gentleman of the younger kind (27 yrs old). I still remember times when there was a woman announcing the evening movie with a three-minute-intro. So sad they cancelled this habit. What is even worse on TV is the fact that they start the commercials just after the fade-out. No end credits whatsoever. I always feel like being cheated. I paid the federal TV license fee so I paid for the whole movie, and the end credits are part of the movie.

The same applies for cinema. Paying 12.90 € ($ 15) for an IMAX show means I want to see the movie to its very end.

What do you do in theatres when the film's over?
Do you go straight away, or do you watch the end credits fully?
I do the latter. I believe that's part of the respect we owe to those who entertained us, the numberless rack-wheels in the gear of the production of a movie.

HanauMan

Practically Family
When I used to see films at the movies I'd stay to the end of the credits so as to miss the mad rush out.

Now, when I watch a movie on TV I tend not to pay much attention to the credits. I only have a small 24 inch main TV, and the one in the bedroom is even smaller, so I can't read them without my glasses anyhow.

The internet and IMDB, in particular, for me, took away the need to pay attention to the credits as you can now bring all that information up and more on line. Prior, I almost always watched the credits as that stuff interests me, but today you have access to it without staying.

End credits on many older films consisted of one board with the handful of actors on it. Special effects have changed that considerably, with hundreds of credits to the various animation, SFX, and production teams. The only way to read those is to pause the DVD or stream.

However, it was "Airplane!" That started introducing jokes to the credits. From the guy credited with "Generally in charge of a lot of things" to Adolf Hitler's credit as "Worst Boy." They also gave us an after credits stinger with the guy in the cab.

Thanks to Pixar, we now have end credit bloopers (animated) and you need to stick around for the end of credits for Marvel movies for the stingers and Easter eggs, as they're usually important to the overall story.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My daughter and I always watch the credits right to the end, and then until the house lights come up.

I guess it's because of what Fruno wrote - sometimes there's interesting stuff during or after the credits.

Zachary

One of the Regulars
For me, the music credits are most interesting. This way I found a couple of audiolicios, catchy tunes. Among others, "Starman" and "Space Oddity" (both by David Bowie) found their way on to my hard disk.

Edward

Bartender
Always. Partly as a respect thing, partly for end credit scenes, partly just because I enjoy the soundtracks.

That's the one big downside of the cinema in Beijing (at least the one I've used): soon as the credits start to run, they put the lights up and demand you leave, end credit scene or no!

Edward

Bartender
I've never understood people who feel the need to rush out as soon as the credits roll; similar to the sort of people who leave the theatre as soon as the show goes down, rather than wait for curtain call (which is much ruder!).

I do remember chuckling at the remake of Dawn of the Dead when some folks left right as the credits started, with the result that they saw a totally different ending to the film than the rest of us.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I always stay for at least the list of actors' credits. During the Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie in 2014, the credits at the end were displayed against an array of dossiers with background info on the characters Solo, Kuryakin, and Waverly -- so if you bolted out, you missed some very cool things.

Unless the movie was so bad that we just don't care, my friends and I will usually stay to browse the credits until they turn off the projector and turn on the lights. Doing so also makes sure we don't miss any additional scenes, gives us a chance to start our discussion about the movie, and by the time the final credits have rolled by we can casually stroll out of the theater and use the rest room(s) without having to deal with the "can't wait to get out of here" crowds.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We stick around more often than not these days. Watching the little extras often put in as discussed above, as well as checking out who the actors were, particularly those whose names I've forgotten.

I also like learning about locations, music credits and the various Canadian tax incentives that appear in the most obscure of films...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ