Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear a fedora with your leather jacket?

Do you wear a fedora with your leather jacket?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Yes, often.

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Yes, but rarely.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • No, I avoid pairing the two together.

Votes: 21 24.1%

• Total voters

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Aside from the Indiana Jones comments, I've always felt (no pun intended) that a hat is a bit too formal to go with a "casual" leather jacket. For these reasons, I typically go hatless with a leather jacket or with an 8-panel tweed cap or B-1 flight cap.

Noel

This has been done long before Indiana Jones. At least among working men the fedora/leather jacket combo was pretty common back in the old days as can be seen in vintage photos. I don't really get the 'too formal' part.

...s. I don't really get the 'too formal' part.

I am with you Diamond Mario!
Here are some casual guys in fedoras & leather jackets...
M-14.jpg

monteagle2010085.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mario, the thread/poll question is about personal preferences not whether it's acceptable, either today or back in the day. ;)

Emerson

New in Town
I bought a jacket from Mr. Botwright of Wested Leather in, I think, 1977, to replace a worn out jacket I'd been wearing since the mid- sixties, and I've always carried a shoulder bag. I almost always wear a fedora hat. So for me, I don't see the problem.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I wear a black fedora with a black leather jacket. No Indy comments. I swapped that pair with a Stetson Temple in Mink and an Olive Drab Military jacket.

Later

BowlofRice

New in Town
Had I bought this full-length black double breasted leather trench coat a while ago, I might have been wearing my fedora with it. But I'm afraid people might think I'm a Gestapo officer or something. In terms of leather jackets, I wouldn't even think of wearing one without a USAAF crush cap, probably the only hat I would wear with such a jacket, I'm usually not a fan of outerwear that is above knee length.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
When I wear my leather jacket (only very occasionally) I wear my grey fedora with it. Given that I get enough IJ comments when I wear the hat with a suit I don't see why the leather jacket should make any difference. I try to turn it into a smart casual look though by pairing a brown leather jacket with flannel trousers, a waistcoat and a tie, which probably loses the IJ connotation a little bit.

But I'm afraid people might think I'm a Gestapo officer or something.
If you ever get a Gestapo or Nazi comment just tell the purpetrators that you're Jewish. That should stop any further comments. ;)

BowlofRice

New in Town
If you ever get a Gestapo or Nazi comment just tell the purpetrators that you're Jewish. That should stop any further comments. ;)

Sigh...my best friend's mom says I look like a Jew simply for wearing a knee-length black raincoat...even though I have the business apparel and all under it...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The brown leather jacket,tie, fedora, and slacks sounds like a nice look. (Not sure what a "Jew " or nazi is supposed to look like now or why the "waistcoat" ) but otherwise I would sure do it. You all probably look good that way! No reason to "explain" anything!---John

Waistcoat would be a vest to you Americans. As to why, because it adds something to an already good look in my opinion.

I have no idea why anyone would call someone a Jew or a Nazi for the way they're dressed as both are beliefs which have little to do with sartorial choices.

D

Deleted member 16736

Sigh...my best friend's mom says I look like a Jew simply for wearing a knee-length black raincoat...even though I have the business apparel and all under it...

She only knows Hasidic Jews, apparently. I agree that is an unfortunate thing to say.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I regularly wear fedoras with my A-2. If I'm wearing my G-1 I'll wear a ball cap, but that's mostly because I wore ball caps with the G-1 while in the navy and it just feels strange not to, even now.

I don't get Indiana Jones comments, being much too old for such comparisons to be made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner