Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear hats in shopping mall?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure whether shopping mall is considered indoor or outdoor, but surely it looks like public corridor, so wearing a hat should be no problem... but do you wear hat when you're strolling shopping mall? Like to know your thought guys... :)

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I consider a shopping mall a public area, and since I'm walking around, and especially if my hands are full, my hat remains on my head. Besides, even if indoors, the hat looks better than the jeans teenagers wear around their knees.

Starius

Practically Family
My own personal rule, if the building has a high enough ceiling where I know I couldn't hit it by throwing a wiffle ball up towards it.... I leave the hat on.

But, never the less, I do tend to take it off when sitting in the food court.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
In the 1960's, when I was in the Navy, we had to learn a complicated set of rules for when and when not to wear your "cover." The somple rule was: Always wear your cover (hat) outdoors. You may wear your hat indoors, if you are in a hallway or a large auditorium, until you sit down. You always take your hat off when entering a small room. As I recall, there was also a provision for removing your cover for a public prayer, even when outdoors. There were a lot of other fuzzy areas, like when seated in a terminal while waiting for a train, bus, or plane. All of the Navy practices were a codification of what was considered prevailing "good manners."

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
In the 1960's, when I was in the Navy, we had to learn a complicated set of rules for when and when not to wear your "cover." The somple rule was: Always wear your cover (hat) outdoors. You may wear your hat indoors, if you are in a hallway or a large auditorium, until you sit down. You always take your hat off when entering a small room. As I recall, there was also a provision for removing your cover for a public prayer, even when outdoors. There were a lot of other fuzzy areas, like when seated in a terminal while waiting for a train, bus, or plane. All of the Navy practices were a codification of what was considered prevailing "good manners."

That is such a nice info.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes - I only take it off when the environment becomes intimate, such as when you are seated at a table in a restaurant, not when I go through the door, or while I wait to be seated. Its subjective - try the coat rule - if you would take off your coat, then take off your hat. Lightweight jackets make the rule more complicated, so you have to imagine 'IF it was a coat, would I take it (and my hat) off . . .

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my hat almost all the time.
The exceptions.
-When I am in someone else's house.
-In Church (except for those religions that require the head to be covered)
-Sitting down to eat at a table. If I am eating on a bar, or on a picnic, I leave it on.
-In an elevator with a woman present
-when addressing a woman I don't know. Usually a cashier.
-when in some ones private shop. (not a mall, but a mom and pop shop)
-when entering work.
-When a prayer is being said (except for those religions that require the head to be covered)
These guidelines also apply to sunglasses as well.

When talking to women, especially ones I do not know, just lifting the hat off the head and returning it immediately does the job. Also gets a smile as well.

Johnny

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
In the 1960's, when I was in the Navy, we had to learn a complicated set of rules for when and when not to wear your "cover." [...] All of the Navy practices were a codification of what was considered prevailing "good manners."
"Good manners" as Navy decorum? Contrast that with Marines, who may not hold an umbrella for anyone, including ladies, babies and old folks, nor walk between a lady and the curb in wet weather. Rather draconian, but hey, that's the Corps for ya. I dunno, maybe it was different in the '60s. PING: Captain or dhermann1?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails