Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Whistle?

Custom79

One of the Regulars
whistle a happy tune

I've learned that it must be something passed down from one generation to the next.

My students, my nephew and others are fascinated when they first hear me whistling a tune and are anxious to learn.

C79

Avalon

A-List Customer
I love to whistle, though I can't get the vibrato down just yet. We also tend to sing a lot in my house - I often joke that it must've been owned by Gilbert & Sullivan. ;)

LizzieMaine, your aunt = my hero. lol

Jay: it's true, I always whistle when doing the laundry!

Hondo

One Too Many
Oh I don't think so, never felt guilty about it, gotten some smiles and laughs.
I would think people from the country would be associated more with whistling (pucker up your lips) I could never whistle loud with two fingers stuck in my mouth. [huh]
How many of you remember the film "No Time for Sergeants"? Andy Griffith whistles like Woo wee!!! (whistling) Gomer Pile too lol

carebear said:
As for the whistling girl association, whistling and spitting are both pursed-lipped actions. Aside from sexism, maybe there's a bit of guilt by association?

alexandra

Practically Family
I don't whistle very much because my whistle is weak and powerless and that just won't do in a whistle. I sing nearly all the time and if I'm not singing, I'm probably humming.

I'm always trying to get people to sing with me but they rarely do.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Foofoogal said:
... "A whistling girl and a crowing hen, soon come to no good end." Have no idea where that crazy saying comes from as a hen cannot crow ...

I always heard the saying this way: "Whistling girls and cackling hens all shall come to bitter ends."

carter

I'll Lock Up
We grew up on a farm and my dad would call us in from forest, field, and stream with a whistle that could be heard for miles. It was a very high-pitched "wee-oo, wee-oo, wee-oo" sound. Whenever we heard it, we came running.
It seems that there was a lot of whistling, humming, singing, drumming, and tapping on that farm. It may have begun with the sound of the rain falling on the tin porch roof right outside the bedroom windows. Whatever the inspiration, there was always rhythm in the air.
So, I'm an inveterate whistler, hummer, singer, tapper, etc. Seems like it came from the land and it's people.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
Have no idea where that crazy saying comes from as a hen cannot crow.

I just thought I would bring attention to the fact that sometimes hens can crow, it is however, a rare thing to have a hen that crows; thus the tradition that it is bad luck. We once had a hen that crowed, and to say the least, it was very strange to hear. Don't try to tell me it wasn't a hen either, I know what a hen looks like.lol

There, I just couldn't let that go by.:)

Yes, I do whistle some.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Atterbury Dodd said:
I just thought I would bring attention to the fact that sometimes hens can crow, it is however, a rare thing to have a hen that crows; thus the tradition that it is bad luck. We once had a hen that crowed, and to say the least, it was very strange to hear. Don't try to tell me it wasn't a hen either, I know what a hen looks like.lol

There, I just couldn't let that go by.:)

Yes, I do whistle some.

Ah yes but have you had a cat that barked? I sure did so we named him Fido :p

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
Ah yes but have you had a cat that barked? I sure did so we named him Fido :p

No I haven't ever had a cat that barked. However, I have the famous cat from Arthur Conan Doyle's famous Ring of Thoth short story. The ancient Egyptians experimented with their elixir of life on it thousands of years ago, and behold it still lives! It's name is Skacker. Spelled in Egyptian, SKAKKER.lol Sadly the elixir is starting to run out and she is starting to fall apart.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
All of my motley crew whistle... mum, dad, elder bro, and wife... I do too.

Currently stuck with 'Since You've Been Gone' (Rainbow)... Seems to be an 1980s Hair rock day... what it is to have eclectic, not to say eccentric, tastes in music...

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I sit next to two whistlers at work, one of them whistles actual songs, the other just mindlessly whistles, and he is just in general annoying. If there is a song there it doesn't bother me so much. These two fellas would be annoying anyway though. The good whistler is a loud talker (I think he has a hearing problem) and the bad whistler...well, he also sings along to Cher songs occasionally, which he should not do either! :eusa_doh:

Yes, I think I might need Xanax.

Foofoogal

Banned
Atterbury Dodd, Wow that is fascinating. I guess we learn something new every day. Never heard a hen crow but definitely have seen the head hen take over the other hens.
I used to raise chickens only because I could not find a decent fresh egg in the store. Then I had so many I started selling them in local small store. Then it became too much work and expensive. I figured the feed I was feeding them it cost about $3.50 a dozen. :eusa_doh:
I had the Ameraucana ones that laid green eggs that are supposed to be good for your heart, (the Roosters are gorgeous in this breed) Rhode Island red and Barred Rock and a few bantams. Got tired of fighting the coons and foxes also. I said all this to say I loved just watching them. Want to learn about order in life watch some chickens. They are not confused. lol

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
I sit next to two whistlers at work, one of them whistles actual songs, the other just mindlessly whistles, and he is just in general annoying. If there is a song there it doesn't bother me so much. These two fellas would be annoying anyway though. The good whistler is a loud talker (I think he has a hearing problem) and the bad whistler...well, he also sings along to Cher songs occasionally, which he should not do either! :eusa_doh:

Yes, I think I might need Xanax.

Long as he doesn't DRESS like Cher too...

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
That's suprising that this topic came up. While I was walking down the mall concourse yesterday on my way to grab some grub I caught myself whistling. I wondered the same thing. My dad always whistled and I now find myself doing more and more. And it is very true in the fact that not many men do whistle any more. It is a dying art. :(

At any rate though- add me to the list of keep with tradition! :rolleyes:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't

and I wish I could! Any pointers?
It would be another instrument, I could whistle while playing the piano, that would be so cool.
I adore Bing Crosby's whistling.

Foofoogal

Banned
Pucker lips tight and blow air in and out.[huh]
It took me probably weeks to learn when I was about 9 I think. I was so determined. Snapping fingers also. I was such a tomboy and hung around with tons of neighbor boys. I can do a mean snapping with my fingers also that involves slapping hands and all. lol

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Teekay44 said:
Only when I work;)

"Whistle while you work"........Darn. Now I can't get that Disney tune out of my head :eusa_doh:

I've never been able to whistle to save my life. I do hum however, from time to time. Any good melody will do. And I don't particularly care if I'm on tune or out of tune. Humming (or whistling) is a very good way to "stop & smell the roses". My Fair Lady. Moon River. Bridge over the River Kwai. All good tunes I like. Celebrating the little things in life. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy