Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs "BogDobbs "Dayton / Bogart"?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
2" brim.

Do I remember correctly? Aren't you a tall fellow? Is this hat too small in scale for large guys (like us)?
Looks nice on the model.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Bogie Hat

Check out the Beaver Brand Fur Felt C Crown fedora listed under 'Beaver Brand' on the same Dad's Hats website. To me this looks a little more Bogart. Brim appears raw-edged but you can always have it finished.

matei

One Too Many
Ah - good point. I did some searching (handy function, that search) on the site and I came across the bit on MK's Optimo Bogart lid... Very cool - that looks the way to go.

Cheers!

STHill

One of the Regulars
Go with the Optimo or Keppler (or vintage, if you can find one in your size). The Dobbs you referred to was my first hat ever. I really liked it until I had the misfortune to happen upon this site.

It took me about two hours of reading through the archives to become the unrepentant hat snob I am today. The Dobbs is a typical, okay quality, modern hat. As far as the Bogart look, it's not tall enough, tapers too much and the brim is too narrow. Other than that, it's perfect! :)

matei

One Too Many
STHill said:
It took me about two hours of reading through the archives to become the unrepentant hat snob I am today.

Ha - that is exactly what happened to me!

I have also noticed that a lot of the hats being made today aren't tall enough.

My two HJ fedoras, although nice hats compared to some of the ones out there, are not as tall as I liked. I was in the shop in town that sells HJ hats and I tried on their "Indiana Jones" hat. I liked the height on that one.

matei

One Too Many
Out of curiosity - where does one obtain the aforementioned Optimo or Lee Keppler hats? I can't find a link anywhere...

matei

One Too Many
... a few more questions re. Bogey-esque lids

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! A few more questions, if I may...

I noticed that from the front, the Optimo and Keppler hats are very similar to the one Bogart wears. However, can you get the same "crumpled" type look at the back/top, like here: http://www.thegoldenera.net/images/hats/Bogart/Spade5.jpg

That is where I see a lot of the Bogey-esque hats fall down.

Maybe it has to do with the height of the hat or weight of the felt? I know that I tried to get the same C crown look on one of my HJ's but it didn't work all that well because the hat doesn't have the height. (it came out like yer man's tweaked lid here: http://www.regular-guy.com/images/Dans_Bogie1.jpg). There just isn't enough material to get that folded, crumpled look.

I tried with one of the HJ "Indy" hats and they do have the height. That hat is an inch or two taller (and straighter) that the HJ's I picked up in Dublin.

Last question - is the felt "floppy"? I was watching "The Big Sleep" the other day and I noticed that when Bogie first came into the hotel bar, he was holding his hat kind of tightly and you could see that it was rather soft/floppy felt...

Cheers!

matei

One Too Many
MK said:
My Optimo looks just like the Bogart photo from that angle. I will have to take a shot for you when I have a chance. Bogie's hat is a thin summer weight felt.
Thanks - that'd be swell... From what I've seen of it in your photos, it looks great!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yep, as MK said, thin felt is the key to that look. Very easy to achieve with vintage hats, but a bit more work with modern hats. Lee Keppler got my Bogart hat to look similar to that, but stiffener in the felt holds the "crinkles," as he calls them. My vintage Borsalino, on the other hand, does that just by shaping with my hand. It's very thin felt, but still retains the shape you give it.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk