Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs hat dating using style and lot info

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Is there an authoritative reference for dating the age of a Dobbs hat? I picked up a mustard color, wool, stingy brim hat that has two tags:

1. A United Hatters Cap & Millinery Wkrs. Int Union tag - which from what I can determine places the hat between 1934-1954.

2. Another tag indicating Style 3-6154-03, Lot 3595.

I tried using the search function on this site and using Google, but can't seem to locate any source that might help me pinpoint a year for the hat.

I will try to post a picture, but that'll take a day or two.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge Tommy. Will need more info. The UHC&MW Union lasted until a 1983 merger with ACTWU. The '54 is probably from a collection of papers' website.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
As rlk said, welcome to the Lounge. The union was allowed back into Hat Corporation of America in 1946 after being kicked out in 1909, but I think I've yet to see a union label from any of their hats before the 1960s. However, the Lot number sounds like it's a post-1972 hat, after the sale of their brands to Koracorp (now HATCO) in Garland, TX.

Brad

Tommy

One of the Regulars
here are the photos of the hat in question. any help narrowing down to a year of manufacture is appreciated. I'm thinking mid 70's, but I really have no idea.

Dec20102006.jpg

Dec20102007.jpg
[/IMG]

Dec20102008.jpg
[/IMG]

Dec20102012.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Mid-'70s is a fair assessment. It's 1972 to 1983, at least. I can't narrow it any further than that, as post-1972 hats are generally beyond my research period.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou