Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs Panamas...

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Okay, here's the one I managed to win:

DobbsPanama1.jpg

And here's the one that got away:

DobbsPanama2.jpg

Both said to be Dobbs, probably from the sixties. What do y'all think? I'm a bit sad about losing that second one -- hope it went to a Lounger. A bit more Sinatra than the first. But I can always fool around with the ribbon. (The black ribbon has flecks of gold, the seller said, which is nice....)

What kind of Panama are these likely to be? A lower quality Cuenca?

BigSho

Vendor
I don't knwo wwhat kind of panama they are but they look like very nice hats. They actually look like the same exact hat with different bands on them. Good find if you ask me just steam that brim back into shape and you are in buisness.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: Hey Jeremy, I will have to pay you a visit next time I am in the city. I would like to see your operation, if you are willing to give a tour. I am an online retailer only, with visions of a storefront one day in a place with tumbleweeds and drifters. We do a lot of hats each month, so I don't really see the need other than a place to chill, work on old hats and visit with the neighbors.

Duane (Gurnee)

BigSho

Vendor
Duane it would be my pleasure to show you around the store anytime you are in the area. Our website is pretty new (about a year and a half) so we are just getting started on that end of the buisness. But you are right a hat store is a great place to hang out and talk hats and clothes and style. The best part of my day is B.S.ing with all the customers and steaming hats. It is a site to see even if vintage is your thing 30000+ hats in one place is a an uncommon thing now a days.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

squid

One of the Regulars
I can't say how old they are, or where exactly they were woven, but they look nice to me. When I shop for Panamas on ebay (and I haven't won one yet) if I can clearly see the weave in a picture like that I don't bid. I think I would be very happy with either of those.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BEE_OO_TIFUL!

...I think I got outbid by a couple of bucks on the cheaper of the two.
Those are classics, nice weave, sharply defined tele crown, the ridge down the crown's center just hints at an Optimo, life in the colonies & what ... & those pugs are both outstanding. Looks kinda like this fella' to our left, eh? ;)
Based solely on the fabric patterns (& wishful thinking) I would put these at just pre-new frontier i.e. late 50's or very early (pre Kennedy) 60's... nuts, now I wish I'd gone after them a little more aggressively! Enjoy that one, post some photos when yr. able!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Thanks!

I'm wondering if the black pug is in fact that much narrower than the green one, or whether it's been folded down. If it's wide, I think it will be fantastic.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Well, the hat arrived. It's *stunning*. Now very much my favorite hat. The proportions are almost precisely the same as Frank's, in my avatar. The black pug was in fact pushed down in that photo: it's precisely the same width as the green one. And the straw is a nice aged golden color. Steamed into shape in seconds.

I'm going to take photos -- wondering what quality weave this is... (knowing nothing about Panamas.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL