Dobbs Rainbow---Finally

Discussion in 'Hats' started by jamespowers, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Well, I actually bought a hat that is on my want list. I have been looking for one in my size for years! I can hardly believe it until I get it in my hands. Here is a lousy picture of the original ad but it gives you an idea:

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures from the seller:

[​IMG]

notice the cool fishing lure on the ribbon. ah!

[​IMG]
    the liner

I am as excited about this as Root was about his Dream Hat even though this is not an NOS hat.

Regards to all,

J

2. Victor

Victor One of the Regulars

Very nice! I assume they called it "rainbow" because itcame in several colors. Yours seems like a nice neutral gray, not the bright pimp colors I had originally imagined. Where did you get it?

3. The Rainbow name was just a name not description of the colors---thank God. :p It did come in the sparkling green color you see in the ad though. I am glad that is not the color I found . :cool2:
    I found it on the usual auction site. It does need a bit of cleaning but it is a stock hat and a good example of the name. It was part of the Field and Stream series Dobbs had in the 1950s.
    Well, that is one down. Now all I have to find is the Palomino and the Mosaic. That will probably take me another couple of years---for each one. [huh] :fedora:
    Here is an ad for the Field and Stream Series:

[​IMG]

Regards to all,

J

4. Ok, I just got it in my hands today. It is even better than I thought. The ribbon has extra detail that the seller's picture doesn't show. The bound edge also has this detailed ribbon. :cool2:
    Here are some pictures of it after I knocked the dust off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Side view

[​IMG]
    Now these kinds of feather decorations I don't mind. :p

[​IMG]
    The bound edge.

Regards to all,

J

5. Tomcat

Tomcat New in Town

That is a very nice hat. How much did it end up costing ya if ya don't mind me asking.

6. I had to go back and look now that you mention it.
    I got the Rainbow and a stingy brim Towncraft with a C crown for $41 plus shipping. Can't beat that with a stick. :p
    Anyone need a dark gray Penny's Towncraft? :rolleyes: :)

Regards to all,

J

7. photogravity

photogravity One of the Regulars

8. RBH

RBH Bartender

Not the same hat.
    Looks nice none the less.

9. photogravity

Not even close to the same hat. It's the same in name only. Still, it appears not to be a very common hat, so I'm glad one appeared in my size and for a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. RBH

RBH Bartender

I will be curious to see the brim width on your hat.
    I for one have come to like a shorter brim [from a 2 3\4 to a 2 1\2] but anyway... nice hat.
    I look forward to seeing what you think of it.

11. javadave61

javadave61 Practically Family

It appears as though the logo is stitched into the liner rather than some kind of print screen (or however they normally come). Is this unique, I wonder? Not something I've noticed before.

12. 1mach1

1mach1

Hey, look JP! I bet you forgot about this one. :p

13. Yes, they normally come embroidered as you have pictured. Yours is a late 50s model to be sure but they were all decent hats. Dobbs and Cavanagh are some of my favorites.
    I had a moment just a few days ago with this hat. The fly pin fell out if it and I had to track it down. Many years ago I found a man whose mother worked with Dobbs producing those fly lure pins for the Dobbs Rainbow hats. He had several examples available but we never could agree on a price. That one moment when I lost the pin made me wish I had bought him out of all those extras he had laying around. It still makes me wonder whatever happened to those pins........:doh:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Redfokker likes this.
  14. Nah, it was only ten years ago. lol lol I still have the hat and wear it often. :D I am still completely happy with it and for what I paid for it that long ago. I could likely triple my money these days. :p

15. photogravity

I'm still trying to figure out what brim width I like best. Seems for the dressier hats I like them around 2" or so. For more casual dress, 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" works nicely. I have an old hat marked Stuart and sold by Moe Penn in Brooklyn NY that I wore for the first time tonight which has a 3" brim. I felt like I was wearing a cowboy hat at first. As far as this Dobbs, I'm really looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on this one.

16. 1mach1

1mach1

That's what I am always telling my wife. The stuff I buy will be worth MORE in the future. Her stuff on the other hand.... :p

17. photogravity

More important, what ever happened to that Penny's Towncraft hat? :p

18. I still have that too. :p I stopped counting after 100 you know. :p

19. :rofl: Hat investing---it works for me. :p

20. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

Wow thanks JP for your first posts, it brings back memories.
    My Father always wore his OR with a Royal Coachman lure in the ribbon.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Coachman
    Times have changed , used to buy them for less than 25 cents

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015