Does anybody own a Pro 30x Beaver Hat by Akubra?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by The Good, Feb 14, 2012.

1. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

Does anybody own a Pro 30X beaver hat by Akubra? It's one of their newer models, and probably came out about a year ago or more. I'm curious about this hat, because I was wondering if it was supposed to be stiff and shellacked like typical American western hats, or softer like their usual hats. They say lightweight in the description, but can anyone vouch for that?

http://akubra-usa.com/pro_30x_beaver.html

[​IMG]

If you own one of these, please post your own pictures as well.

EDIT: Wrong forum, I'm sorry. I meant for this to be in Hats. Could a moderator move it? Thank you.

2. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

That's interesting I didn't realize Akubra made a hat with any beaver content.

It looks nice but for the same price ($325 ish) you could get a nice custom western from Black Sheep (100% beaver) or Maj Moore (50% beaver). With Art's current discount for Loungers, he could get you pretty close to that price point as well.

If I was looking for a hat like that, I'd go the custom way for sure - or save some $$ and get one of the regular felt Akubras perhaps.

3. H Weinstein

H Weinstein One of the Regulars

Reviving this thread to see if anybody in fact has an Akubra Pro 30X western hat (this one is 30% beaver.) The current price from Everything Australian is under $235 (US) including shipping, which sounds pretty good to me. I don't think there are any/many western hats with that much beaver content that come anywhere near that price.

I'm thinking this might be my next-year birthday present to myself, so I wondered if anyone had any experience -- or comments/suggestions about similar hats from other sources at or near this price. Thanks!

4. H Weinstein

H Weinstein One of the Regulars

Akubra Pro 30X Discontinued

Just found out from Sam Menche at Everything Australian that Akubra is dropping their Pro 30X western hat from their catalog lineup. I guess not enough sold. I'd been seriously considering getting one, so I should probably thank Akubra for eliminating this temptation. Oh, well.