Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

WH1

Practically Family
Just tried the George Dickel Rye and was pleasantly surprised. Very nice peppery and smooth. Not sazerac but pretty damn good. Good sippin' whiskey.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's one I haven't had the pleasure of trying, since I can't find it around these parts. Lately I've been drinking several different Colorado Ryes. It's nice to finally have some locally distilled products, and a wider variety of craft-distillery products. For so long, the majority of the ryes on the market were distilled by MGP, so they tasted very similar. The craft distillers have finally got some aged product out, and I can avoid all those MGP-distilled brands..

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Actually the problem isn't the MGP rye (which is actually very nice), it's the lame companies who insist on building a layer of marketing BS around it and charging stupid prices in the process.

I want to try the Dad's Hat rye, I believe they use their own distillate, even though it is currently force aged in small barrels.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it's the disingenuous companies I don't care for, either. There are several of the MGP ryes I'll drink on occasion, but almost all of my favorites aren't MGP.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
If you find yourself near Holland Michigan try to pay a visit to New Holland brewery and distillery. They make a Rye with 60% rye 40% barley. Nice folks that take a lot of pride in their product.
Tom D.

One of my favorites is Old Potrero by Anchor Distilling in SF. It's expensive, but it's one of the better ryes on the market, IMO.

oldp1.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I mix the Rittenhouse BnB and drink the Sazarec straight. I also have some cowboy Double Rye and its not that special.

Later

1961MJS

Hi again

I bought some decently expensive Templeton's and was underwhelmed. Cost too much and was just as good as Overholt. I'm more of an old fashioned guy. I don't like Vermouth either so no Manhattan's no Martini's etc.

Later

1961MJS

Hi

I finally had a Sazarec, great drink, but a sipper. I had it at Vast, a bar at the top of the Devon Tower in downtown OKC.

Later

heron163

One of the Regulars
I am down to my last bottle of Sazerac... with the crazy speculation and demand that is going on with all products from the Buffalo Trace heritage line, I am not paying $700 for another one... this thread has given me some good ideas for a new brand or two...

Growing up, I knew my Dad had a tough day when the bottle of Jack Daniels came out (which I always thought was a Rye Whiskey, but my three minute web research effort left me unsure). While I'm more of a gin or vodka drinker, perhaps because it reminds me of him, I'll occasional have a shot of Jack Daniels. The smell takes me right back to those nights when he'd have a few glasses of it on the rocks.

Growing up, I knew my Dad had a tough day when the bottle of Jack Daniels came out (which I always thought was a Rye Whiskey, but my three minute web research effort left me unsure). While I'm more of a gin or vodka drinker, perhaps because it reminds me of him, I'll occasional have a shot of Jack Daniels. The smell takes me right back to those nights when he'd have a few glasses of it on the rocks.

FF, Jack Daniel is a sour mash whiskey produced in Lynchburg, Tn. The company was a customer of mine years ago when I sold industrial supplies. Went there once a week for about three years and on a hot summer day you can smell the mash "working" for miles. Here is a little more info.

FF, Jack Daniel is a sour mash whiskey produced in Lynchburg, Tn. The company was a customer of mine years ago when I sold industrial supplies. Went there once a week for about three years and on a hot summer day you can smell the mash "working" for miles. Here is a little more info.

Great info, thank you. Reading through it - and, sadly, I've read through similar articles as I think the history and distilling, aging, etc., methodologies of these different liquors is interesting - I always come away with two thoughts: (1) how in God did anyone ever discover such a complex way to make something (even though I know the answer is an accumulation of trial and error over hundreds of years - I'm still amazed we got here) and (2) my small brain cannot keep all the subcategories of booze straight. But heck, the good news is I need not know either 1 or 2 to just enjoy the stuff - which I do. :)

P.S. We need more emojis (I needed a little tumbler glass with brown liquor and two cubes of ice emoji to put next to the happy face above) - didn't the old format have a lot more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points