Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
It is interesting that all this discussion of rye has excluded the venerable mint julep...

While a good rye needs nothing but a tiny amount of cool water to open its flavor, I do think that the mint julep is a worthy drink for the coming warmer months.

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Oh, I have nothing against bourbon's taste or aroma as it is a favorite. But I do not accept the modern assertion that bourbon is a requirement for a mint julep since rye or brandy predate the bourbon for that use. Actually, the mint juleps at the Kentucky Derby are not even made of bourbon, but rather Early Times whisky.

But I still say that the various ryes make a better blend with the mint.

Fed

Oh, I have nothing against bourbon's taste or aroma as it is a favorite. But I do not accept the modern assertion that bourbon is a requirement for a mint julep since rye or brandy predate the bourbon for that use. Actually, the mint juleps at the Kentucky Derby are not even made of bourbon, but rather Early Times whisky.

But I still say that the various ryes make a better blend with the mint.

Fed

Still better than a Mint Julep. You ruin anything with bourbon. :p

Early Times IS Bourbon---made in Kentucky so they call it Kentucky whiskey but it is bourbon first. The old ads at least had truth in advertising. :p

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Yes, Early Times does make a bourbon, but when I was in Kentucky buying bourbon, I learned that is not what they use in the derby mint juleps:

Recipe:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/experience/traditions/mint-julep2

What I was told is actually in the ones served:

http://www.thebeveragestore.com/spirits/whiskey/bourbon/early-times-whiskey-1-75l.html

As to rye, got someone picking up some Sazerac rye for me and the various types of mint in the yards are doing quite well.

Fed

I dunno. Tastes like Bourbon to me. :p

Sazerac would make a nice drink but I would never dilute it with water. You need to do that with bourbon because it is always too darned sweet but not a rye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24