Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

I've really grown to love that Rye Bulleit 95 Rye. I like the taste and its hard to beat the price at Costco. Its normally not that easy to find Rye in Hawaii...

images

Just the thing to be nursing while you look through old 19th century gun books.

Sounds like my kind of pastime. :p

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like my kind of pastime. :p

Oh come now James, few things better than curling up with a glass of rye and

Walsh's The Modern Sporting Gun and Rifle (1882)

images

or Jame Forcyth's "The Sporting Rifle and its Projectiles," 1867

And learning about various forms of rifling and projectiles ;)

Oh come now James, few things better than curling up with a glass of rye and

Walsh's The Modern Sporting Gun and Rifle (1882)

images

or Jame Forcyth's "The Sporting Rifle and its Projectiles," 1867

And learning about various forms of rifling and projectiles ;)

I was serious but my recent read is about the The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Those two volumes would fit nicely on my shelves. Finding something that old would be my problem. :p

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
After catching up on this thread, I'm now in the mood for some Templeton Rye. I know what my evening drink will be.

Story

I'll Lock Up
WASHINGTON (AP) — Rye whiskey using George Washington's own recipe will soon go on sale at the first president's Mount Vernon estate in Virginia.

The presidential home reconstructed Washington's distillery and will make more than 1,100 bottles of unaged whiskey available beginning April 4. The bottles sell for $95 each.

Mount Vernon says the rye is the most authentic version of Washington's whiskey available. Washington was a detailed record keeper, and distillers used the same grain recipe and fermentation process as it was done 250 years ago.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/mount-vernon-sell-washingtons-rye-whiskey

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I posted this in another thread, but I was recently given a bottle of Jim Beam Rye (yellow label). Retiring & clearing out his corporate bar. I don't drink rye and never have, is this stuff rot-gut or worth a try? The bottle's still sealed. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Bacon infused? How did you do this? You put bacon in the bottle cooked or raw? I might actually like bacon infused rye. Then again, bacon makes everything taste better. :p
I put 8oz of Bullet Rye 95 in a mansion (spelling) jar then took the fat grease from bacon I cooked about 3 oz of grease put that in the same jar. Gave it a good shake and put it in the freezer. I let it sit for at least 4 hours longer will not hurt. You will have a frozen layer of fat. Break the layer and drain the rye out. After that I did two filters with two paper coffee filters and a metal filter all together just to make sure no fat was left. You will be able to see any left over fat if you have any just repeat the filter steps. Also remember to eat the bacon.

I put 8oz of Bullet Rye 95 in a mansion (spelling) jar then took the fat grease from bacon I cooked about 3 oz of grease put that in the same jar. Gave it a good shake and put it in the freezer. I let it sit for at least 4 hours longer will not hurt. You will have a frozen layer of fat. Break the layer and drain the rye out. After that I did two filters with two paper coffee filters and a metal filter all together just to make sure no fat was left. You will be able to see any left over fat if you have any just repeat the filter steps. Also remember to eat the bacon.

Bacon rye in a Mason jar. Junior Johnson would be proud. :p Sounds good! Bulleit rye is 95% rye then---I am guessing by the name. That is my cut off for rye. Ryes that try to get by with 80% or less are just trying to foll us into thinking they are real rye. :p

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I posted this in another thread, but I was recently given a bottle of Jim Beam Rye (yellow label). Retiring & clearing out his corporate bar. I don't drink rye and never have, is this stuff rot-gut or worth a try? The bottle's still sealed. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

Hi

Ummmm. search this thread with the term Beam and see what you find. Personally, I haven't tried it, but Its not likely to overpower Ginger ale with it's flavor. It may also be o.k. with some maraschino cherries, orange bitters, and a bit of ice water. I wouldn't try it straight until you've tried it with Ginger ale in case it's really as bad as sometimes advertised.

Try some Sazarec, it's really GOOD rye.

Just my $0.02

Hi

Ummmm. search this thread with the term Beam and see what you find. Personally, I haven't tried it, but Its not likely to overpower Ginger ale with it's flavor. It may also be o.k. with some maraschino cherries, orange bitters, and a bit of ice water. I wouldn't try it straight until you've tried it with Ginger ale in case it's really as bad as sometimes advertised.

Try some Sazarec, it's really GOOD rye.

Just my $0.02
lol lol lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Did you guys see this thread I started the other day? Amazing, appalling, hilarious. I only ever had one taste of this stuff, about 40 years ago. Can't say it made any impression on me. I'm thinking I need to explore the world of rye whiskey. The company that produced Old Farm also produces Old Overholt, so I'm thinking I might pick up a bottle of that, just for starters.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...aker-guzzles-100-000-worth-of-vintage-whiskey

Did you guys see this thread I started the other day? Amazing, appalling, hilarious. I only ever had one taste of this stuff, about 40 years ago. Can't say it made any impression on me. I'm thinking I need to explore the world of rye whiskey. The company that produced Old Farm also produces Old Overholt, so I'm thinking I might pick up a bottle of that, just for starters.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...aker-guzzles-100-000-worth-of-vintage-whiskey

Old Overholt isn't bad. It isn't Sazerac but it isn't bad. You know that whiskey, once bottled, doesn't age anymore. Those bottles might have been 100 years old but they are a frozen moment in time. You could actually use that rye to determine how whiskey tasted back then and recreate it. They did the same thing with a case of whiskey they found left behind by the Shackleton Expedition to Antarctica. The original producers Whyte and Mackay got ahold of some and did the research. The darned bottles sell for over $150 now though. :rolleyes:

1961MJS

Hi

If you plan on mixing your Rye Whiskey, then Old Overholdt is the one to buy. It's VERY inexpensive and it doesn't have any overwhelming flavors, it's just a basic rye whiskey. It's fine with a little ice water, but not great. I guess I SHOULD by a Jim Beam on the rocks at a bar, no sense buying a whole bottle. Never had any, but it's seriously maligned on this thread.

Bullit, George Dickel, and Rittenhouse 100 are all good, inexpensive Rye Whiskeys to try.

later

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, when my friend discovered the first case back in the 70's we were aware that the aging process was terminated. He guarded that case jealously, and was not aware of the other ten cases stashed in the barn.
I'm now leaning toward Rittenhouse as a starter rye. I'm also interested in tasting a Sazerac cocktail. Gotta get the ingredients. Any suggestions as to whether I should get Pernod, or another licorice flavored bottle?

Yes, when my friend discovered the first case back in the 70's we were aware that the aging process was terminated. He guarded that case jealously, and was not aware of the other ten cases stashed in the barn.
I'm now leaning toward Rittenhouse as a starter rye. I'm also interested in tasting a Sazerac cocktail. Gotta get the ingredients. Any suggestions as to whether I should get Pernod, or another licorice flavored bottle?

If you are not going to use real Absinthe then I would go with Herbsaint regular. You can also now use the original recipe Herbsaint.
Herbsaint%20600.jpg

1961MJS

Hi James

If you remember, I HATE Vermouth. What does Absinthe taste like? What about Herbsaint?

I'd like to try a Sazerac cocktail, but I'm not sure anyone outside of New Orleans or at least Louisiana will know how to make one or have the proper ingredients. I'd also like to have an idea that I'll like it if I'm buying several bottles of mixers.

Later

Hi James

If you remember, I HATE Vermouth. What does Absinthe taste like? What about Herbsaint?

I'd like to try a Sazerac cocktail, but I'm not sure anyone outside of New Orleans or at least Louisiana will know how to make one or have the proper ingredients. I'd also like to have an idea that I'll like it if I'm buying several bottles of mixers.

Later

Absinthe and Herbsaint taste like liquorice. Vermouth tastes like medicine. Not at all the same. :p You just use the Absinthe or Herbsaint to coat the glass in either case so it is not a huge addition to the taste. I just pour a bit in the glass, coat the glass and then dump out the rest into another glass for me to drink later. :p
I make my fairly strong and use more rye. I use 3 ounces of rye, a teaspoon or sugar and one of water(dissolved well. You could use simple syrup too.), a dash of Peychaud's bitters(three drops). You can serve over ice or straight up. I will bet you like it. It is kind of like an Old Fashioned.

okbrewer

New in Town
During a recent visit to the liquor store I was pleasantly surprised to see that Templeton Rye is now available in Oklahoma! Picked up a bottle for about $37. My previous purchases of this pre-pro rye were either online or during visits to other states and the price was more like $54!

Bob R in OKC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters