Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not so sure about that. I hate bourbon but I like rye.
After Evil Prohibition, bourbon and other similar whiskies replaced rye with the public---who had gotten used to nasty Canadain whiskey, which is only a small amount Rye---by law!

Hi

Well James, I"m not quite in your boat. I like Rye (love Sazerac), I love most all Bourbon, and I love expensive Scotch. I detest cheap whiskeys that aren't Bourbon, cheap bourbon is still pretty good to mix with (Jim Beam, etc). Cheap Scotch (like Cutty) is just awful in my opinion. I can't stand any Scotches that are under Dewar's White Label or Famous Grouse (supposed to be Scotland's Bar Brand Scotch). I don't much like any blended whiskeys like Chivas, Black Velvet, Canadian Club etc. They're close, but not a real Bourbon, or a real Scotch.

James, I have no memory of what Overholt tastes like by itself. I guess I should try it. I'm not even sure I tried it without Ginger ale... I hope Ginger doesn't cause cancer of some sort, if it does I'm probably already near death.

On a side note, I replenished my supply of Irish Whiskey, Jacob's puts it on sale for Saint Patrick's Day, so I bought a 750 ml for $17.00.

Ramble mode off.....

Hi

Well James, I"m not quite in your boat. I like Rye (love Sazerac), I love most all Bourbon, and I love expensive Scotch. I detest cheap whiskeys that aren't Bourbon, cheap bourbon is still pretty good to mix with (Jim Beam, etc). Cheap Scotch (like Cutty) is just awful in my opinion. I can't stand any Scotches that are under Dewar's White Label or Famous Grouse (supposed to be Scotland's Bar Brand Scotch). I don't much like any blended whiskeys like etc. They're close, but not a real Bourbon, or a real Scotch.

James, I have no memory of what Overholt tastes like by itself. I guess I should try it. I'm not even sure I tried it without Ginger ale... I hope Ginger doesn't cause cancer of some sort, if it does I'm probably already near death.

On a side note, I replenished my supply of Irish Whiskey, Jacob's puts it on sale for Saint Patrick's Day, so I bought a 750 ml for $17.00.

Ramble mode off.....

I am probably even more "snobbish" when it comes to scotch. :p I can't stand anything Johnnie Walker makes. It all tastes like it is watered down to me. They take perfectly good Aberfedly and screw it up by blending it. PU! Jim Beam, Jack Daniels or their derivatives (cherry flavored whiskey? Really?!), Black Velvet, Famous Grouse? Uh, no thanks.

I always try rye straight. It determines whether I use it for mixing or not. :p

Irish eh? Did you get some FeckIn?

1961MJS

I am probably even more "snobbish" when it comes to scotch. :p I can't stand anything Johnnie Walker makes. It all tastes like it is watered down to me. They take perfectly good Aberfedly and screw it up by blending it. PU! Jim Beam, Jack Daniels or their derivatives (cherry flavored whiskey? Really?!), Black Velvet, Famous Grouse? Uh, no thanks.

I always try rye straight. It determines whether I use it for mixing or not. :p

Irish eh? Did you get some FeckIn?

Hi, got some Jamison's. it's not that great, but it's smooth and in general good.

I can't stand Johnny Walker Red or Black, which means I won't even try the rest of the rainbow.

Famous Grouse is good, but again not great. When I want cherry flavored stuff, I got Cherry's in the Refrigerator. Jack, Jack and Coke, Jim and Coke are good, but again not Great.

Later

Last edited:
Hi, got some Jamison's. it's not that great, but it's smooth and in general good.

I can't stand Johnny Walker Red or Black, which means I won't even try the rest of the rainbow.

Famous Grouse is good, but again not great. When I want cherry flavored stuff, I got Cherry's in the Refrigerator. Hack, Jack and Coke, Jim and Coke are good, but again not Great.

Later

Jameson has its own mystique: :p
[video=youtube_share;HLSZXxmq_Zk]http://youtu.be/HLSZXxmq_Zk[/video]

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I just discovered that the local NH booze stores (spirits are only sold in the State run stores here) shows the inventory for each store on their site and the local one has 5 bottles of Whistle Pig Rye. On sale too, or so they say!

Hmm, I just discovered that the local NH booze stores (spirits are only sold in the State run stores here) shows the inventory for each store on their site and the local one has 5 bottles of Whistle Pig Rye. On sale too, or so they say!

Living here in California, I just can't understand the whole state run liquor store thing. You are at the mercy of the state. Then again, I am at the mercy of the state of California and that might be worse. :p

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, could probably be worse.

The State stores (and they just opened a big new one right by us) usually have a good selection and decent pricing as well.

They also have a good wine selection (wine can be bought at every supermarket, convenience store and gas station here) and their wine pricing often beats the other retail places. Of course, the competition has to buy from the State too, that that's maybe not a surprise.

1961MJS

Hi

I bought some George Dickel Rye Whiskey last week. It's pretty good. $22.99 a liter. It has some rye flavor and is pretty smooth. I'd buy it again.

Later

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Hi

I bought some George Dickel Rye Whiskey last week. It's pretty good. $22.99 a liter. It has some rye flavor and is pretty smooth. I'd buy it again.

Later

Good to know I've been wanted to try it. George Dickel was one of my favorites but I've not had their Rye yet.

okbrewer

New in Town
Ryes currently in my liquor cabinet: Sazerac, Rittenhouse, Templeton, High West and Bulleit. Sazerac is my benchmark, but Rittenhouse is my "go to" rye, mostly because of price, but I also like the spice and vanilla I get from it.

Bob R in OKC

1961MJS

Ryes currently in my liquor cabinet: Sazerac, Rittenhouse, Templeton, High West and Bulleit. Sazerac is my benchmark, but Rittenhouse is my "go to" rye, mostly because of price, but I also like the spice and vanilla I get from it.

Bob R in OKC

Hi Bob

I have George Dickel, Rittenhouse, Sazerac, Jefferson, Bulleit, and Overholt. The Cellar in Norman doesn't carry Sazerac, which is my favorite for drinking straight. The Sazerac tastes more like Rye Bread to me. The Overholt is usually the least expensive, but Rittenhouse is close at $17.99 a bottle, plus it has more proof.

I just moved to the OKC area in June 2012. I moved to Norman in September and so far I like it a lot.

Later

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've really grown to love that Rye Bulleit 95 Rye. I like the taste and its hard to beat the price at Costco. Its normally not that easy to find Rye in Hawaii...

images

Just the thing to be nursing while you look through old 19th century gun books.

furious

New in Town
Recently purchased George Dickel Rye and was pleasantly surprised by it: nice rye flavor and good strength. Try it sometime.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Spent the last few weeks polishing off a bottle of Michter's Straight Rye. It has a decent flavor, but is still not as good as Sazerac and Rittenhouse. I love the pepper and fire of Rittenhouse. At 84.8 proof, Michter's doesn't even come close. If I had to compare it as an equivalent to another rye, it would be Bulleit, but at $40 for Michter's versus $24 for Bulleit, the Bulleit wins, hands down. One local shop got in Whistle Pig, but for $73 for 750 ml, I don't think I'll be trying it.

furious

New in Town
Spent the last few weeks polishing off a bottle of Michter's Straight Rye. It has a decent flavor, but is still not as good as Sazerac and Rittenhouse. I love the pepper and fire of Rittenhouse. At 84.8 proof, Michter's doesn't even come close. If I had to compare it as an equivalent to another rye, it would be Bulleit, but at $40 for Michter's versus $24 for Bulleit, the Bulleit wins, hands down. One local shop got in Whistle Pig, but for $73 for 750 ml, I don't think I'll be trying it.

Rittenhouse BIB is my number one favorite rye. Best price/value ratio of them all! Reminds me I need to stop by the liquor store and replenish my supply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner